Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche Cayenne

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 1.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Post new porsche cayenne pic and some tech

http://www.motortrend.com/feb01/cayenne/cayenne_f.html
Old 08-12-2001, 07:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Looks a lot like the pic that circulated a few months ago..

Pete

------------------
'77 Carrera3.0
Citrus Region PCA
www.geocities.com/pcafaro2000/carrera30.html
Old 08-12-2001, 08:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
What the heck? Did they fire all the headlight design engineers??!! Why do they keep using the same headlight design on ALL the new cars? I might like both the 996 and the boxster if they had different headlights, but the way they are doing it just seems cheap. Not a word I had ever associated with Porsche before.

------------------
Jeff

'79 930
http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/jkcrewsn
Old 08-12-2001, 08:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to Kurt B Send a message via Yahoo to Kurt B
0-60 in 5 seconds? I mean, I don't care what anyone says, that's f'ing amazing.
Old 08-12-2001, 09:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

I'm with Kurt on this one

------------------
85.5 Porsche 944
Old 08-12-2001, 10:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Thumbs up

Painful when your "fast" 911 gets left for dead at the traffic light by a truck. I'm sure that the projected top speed of 155 mph will also impress the pants off some of you. Now I'm just waiting for the first soccer mum to get one of them all crossed up, make a big mess of a wreck and then sue the company for selling her something that is too powerful.
Regards
Stef
Old 08-13-2001, 01:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

I keep saying this - - - Drivers Ed is gonna get real interesting with Soccer Moms running their Cayennes in the Green and Blue run groups!

chuck
83SC
Old 08-13-2001, 04:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Thumbs down

Sigh.

Sure, there's a market for SUVs (I'm not sure if it's a burgeoning one), but is it lucrative enough for Porsche to further soften their image and alienate Porsche fans who are Porsche fans because of the company's purer and more purposeful past?

The continued homogenization of this great brand is sickening; I'd hate to read the revised company manifesto that key Porsche executives read once a day on the can, and what it spells for the future of Porsche.

But the Cayenne -- and the 996 -- is indication enough of where things are headed, I think. If I had the cash, I would not buy a new Porsche, and I think that says everything about the sentiments that purists reserve for Porsche. Remember, it's purists "who built this bloody empire", to quote Peachy Carnehan.

No, Porsche's past is not about noise and air pollution. It's about charisma, purity and soul.

Boxster: An exercise in the consolidation of parts (cost cutting) posing as a Porsche, and a Porsche with genuine pedigree. It's not a Porsche, it's just a quick and well-balanced car with an acoustically-tweaked Subaru motor. I understand why Porsche opted for H2O-cooled flat-6s, but I don't understand why they had to eschew charisma as part of the greater transition.

996: The car Dr. Moreau would have created if he was asked to make one car out of the 928 and the 993. I'm positive Marlon Brando has one sitting in his driveway with the Porsche-run-in mileage -- and nothing more -- on the odometer. And that's the point of the car, really. A 996 is quicker around a track than any preceding 911. Of course it is. Who cares? Ferdinand Porsche wouldn't.

Cayenne: The Porsche built for guys like Ben Affleck and Matt Damon, who want a Porsche that sits as high as their houses. The problem is, the Cayenne is not a Porsche, but it's Porsche enough for those guys. A V8 Cayenne will be quicker off the line than most preceding 911s. I suppose that's enough for drivers who think strictly in terms of straight lines. As far as people taking the things off road, I'll believe it when I see it.

Now, back to preserving the purity of our real Porsches, and to celebrating Porsche's bygone spirit of purpose.

Matt Holcomb
1974 911 Carrera 2.7 Euro-spec
Dedicated Homepage
Engine Rebuild Homepage
Porsche Owners Gallery Profile
Pelican Gallery Profile
Old 08-13-2001, 04:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by jkcrewsn:
What the heck? Did they fire all the headlight design engineers??!! Why do they keep using the same headlight design on ALL the new cars? I might like both the 996 and the boxster if they had different headlights, but the way they are doing it just seems cheap. Not a word I had ever associated with Porsche before.

sort of like how they used the same generally "frog eye" round shape for their headlights from 1948 to 1997? or how they used off-the-shelf $60 Bosch and Hella driving lights for the prototype race cars for 3 decades

obin
Old 08-13-2001, 06:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Information Junky

Arrow

The most exposed area of the car. . .off-the-shelf $60 Bosch and Hella driving lights should be used.

'81 Platinum Metalic SC COUPE

Old 08-13-2001, 08:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

I like the part where Porsche is concerned that the Volkswagen version will have a W-12 motor and their best is only a twin turbo V8!!!

Go Volkswagen!!!

------------------
-Richard
'84 Carrera Cabriolet
'74 911 Widebody 3.6 Project
Old 08-13-2001, 08:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

"As far as people taking the things off road, I'll believe it when I see it." -Matt H.

Amen to that Matt! You see, I have a 4X4 pickemup, a slightly restored, slightly hopped up old 1977 Dodge Power wagon. And I don't take it to the local golf course...Instead it has "cruised" such notable Oregon roads as canyon creek, black creek, sheep creek, doe mountain road, yellowbottom, etc. That's going backwoods creek trout fishing, deer & elk hunting. Believe me 0-60 in five seconds would be pretty useless on these byways. 60 would be a certain crash wayyyy down into a canyon.

But, I guess that's not the point of this particular off road (?) 4X4 is it? Hope the hollyweird set enjoys their new toys...

Old 08-13-2001, 09:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

I'm with Matt on this one, the last thing we need on our roads are soccer moms with more powerful vehicles, like most people the power goest straight to their heads which results in more accidents and eventually higher insurance premiums for the rest of us Pcar drivers. Notice I didn't say "owners" anyone can own a Porsche but even fewer "drive" a Porsche. That is exactly the reason why I love reading about the GT2 and other tuned 911s and turbos. The GT2 is everything a 911 was, in times past, fast, powerful and deadly in the hands of an inexperienced driver. I'm tired of cars, including Porsches, becoming so sanitized that anyone can hop right in and begin driving. When I got my 66 912, it was underpowered compared to the 911 of the time but I still managed to get sideways in the car. That taught me a valuable lesson about driving, always keep your head out of your a$$ and your mind on the road or you might kill yourself. It is nice to know that maybe Porsche will reclaim fastest car, even if it is a suv, but they need to focus on their "core", the people that own and work on their Porsches because they love the marque and the heritage it once had. That's my 2 cents.
Old 08-13-2001, 09:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Wink

the Cayenne, offroad, and in the cold:

not bad if i say so

obin
Old 08-13-2001, 09:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

I know the 911 purist will puke over the Cayenne's concept, but I feel that Porsche - the company - will do very well with this car.

For an SUV, I think it's pretty attractive.

Rich
Old 08-13-2001, 11:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

The fact still remains that Porsche has almost quit racing entirely, the very origins of the company. I don't drive a Porsche because it is trendy, or it collects women like a magnet or it reflects the status my bank account(which it DOES NOT), I drive a Porsche because of the racing heritage and how it feels to drive one and the sounds the engine makes over 4K on the tach. If Porsche decides to build a suv then so be it, but they shouldn't forget their heritage. I'm sure it will be a great vehicle, as SUVs go, but the same will apply to it that applies to every other SUV. Most will never see a dirt road. Some enterprising souls will probably make use of the vehicles engine and traction system, by driving it in rallies or mountain climbs. Heck maybe the marque will even show back up at the Paris-Dakar rally, like the 959, but I seriously doubt you would ever see the suv entered at LeMan or some other race track.
Old 08-13-2001, 11:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

So what is the starting $$$ for the abortion? Better be less that the BMW model if they wanna sell any...

------------------
Mark Howard
'88 Carrera
'62 356/B
'75 914 1.8 resto
Old 08-13-2001, 12:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Garage
Exclamation

Heritage doesn’t pay the bills! I know for a fact that I will never buy a new Porsche; most of the parts I buy are aftermarket or OME but not through Porsche; thus of the 50 thousand dollars or so I have spent on Porsches over the years only a few hundred dollars of that have gone to Porsches bottom line. I would bet that most here have contributed little or nothing to Porsches bottom line and the company has always delivered products that their customers, New Car Buyers, want and value. All the people that were and continue to be obsessed with these cars, but have never contributed to the company’s bottom line, have been instrumental in creating the legend of Porsche cars. Porsche has and will continue to exploit this Legend to the New Car Buyer who in most cases are used to purchasing status and respect vs. finding them from within; and on the rare unfortunate occasions would love a “real” Porsche but don’t have a clue how to keep one going and don’t want to deal with the scam artist repair shops that seem to been more and more the norm. The Cayenne represents another example of Porsche putting it on the line for big pay out potential if this product is a hit with their prospective consumers; people with lots of money, no time and a serious need for status that do give a dam what the Jones's are driving.

Me; I could care less about what other people think of my cars or new cars Porsche builds except for their Hydro-electric-Fusion cell- gismo car that will meet the emissions/energy requirements of 2030 when gas is like gold and air is for sale like water, Evian or Ozarka you get to pick!, and my triple Webers have bee outlawed for years; what a horrible thought!!!

Old 08-13-2001, 12:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

What I find to be especially comical are the roof mounted luggage racks. Of course, since these accessories are surely windtunnel-designed and constructed of magnesium, I am sure that they will be especially attractive to the performance minded off-roader tearing over creek beds on the way to the spa!

While the performance numbers (at least for acceleration) seem very impressive, the hybrid nature of this car seems, well, somewhat freakish, and the product of some bizarre marketing focus group gone awry rather than the singular purpose for which Porsche has been best known in the past. Hopefully, at least the shareholders will be happy.
Old 08-13-2001, 05:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

I would have much rather seen a lightweight (2100 lb), sub-$30K mid-engined sports car, kind of like the non-US available Lotus Elise.

With that kind of weight, 165 hp would be more than sufficient. A modern day Speedster.

A factory supported US race series, using cars that are only lightly modified by readily available factory race and safety parts, that only a mildly heeled enthusiast could afford, would be nice, too.

Instead, an overweight Yuppie-mobile designed for off-road but will never see off-road use doesn't seem the way to go. Esp. that the SUV fad is (thankfully) on the downslope.

Hopefully the SUV will be a financial success, since it is a sell out of the company's history and tradition (remember when Porsche's motto was "At Porsche, we only build sportscars?" They were so proud of that fact, for good reason).

I don't personally really care, though. Given the current cars and the current direction, I would never again buy a new Porsche anyways.

[This message has been edited by Jim T (edited 08-13-2001).]
Old 08-13-2001, 05:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: