Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche Cayenne

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Passenger Air Bag

This has been on-going for three years. Twice now the ICON for the passenger seat weight sensors has come on. The seat base was replaced the first time and the fault was simply cleared by the dealership the second time. It is off now. The "Passenger seat airbag off" light illuminates when initially starting the car as it goes through the initial checks. This is good. Then the light goes out and reappears. (no weight on seat) It lasts for about a minute then goes out, sometimes. If I move the seat to full back, the light will stay on. If I move the seat to about the middle the light will go out. I haven't tried full front yet. The dealership says I need a new airbag. It looks more like a connection issue to me. Has anyone experienced this? 2008 Cayenne S
Old 09-13-2017, 06:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Hello - I've had this issue in my BMW several times. You're correct, more than likely it is a sensor issue - although it could also be a faulty module itself too if the issue has reappeared more than once and the sensor replaced already.
Old 09-13-2017, 12:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Information Junky

IIRC there was a recall for a poor connection under the seat (for the seat-side airbag. ) Some issue with a crimp junction.
Old 09-14-2017, 01:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Do you know anything more about the recall? I can't find it It makes sense. The light was on a couple of days ago and I started to move the seat back. It was near center and the light went out I left it there. The light now comes on during the initial check, goes out and comes back on for a second cycle of about 80 seconds, then goes out not to reappear until I start the car again later. Sometimes it does not go through the second cycle and works as designed. The dealer could not replicate the problem. It shows every day for me and this is a five time premier dealer..
Old 09-16-2017, 08:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Information Junky

Side airbag fault warning.
Old 09-16-2017, 10:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

It appears to have been fixed. The weight sensor was sending a signal that there was weight when there was nothing on the seat. The dealership re-calibrated the sensor module. It now takes about 15 lbs of weight to trip the sensor into telling the car to turn the air bag off then when the weight exceeds about 35 lbs it turns it back on. The only issue left to clear up is that the dealership had initially diagnosed the issue as a faulty air bag. I had to pay for the air bag before they could order it so I gave them the $1,600.00 and they ordered it. Now they have the air bag and my money. They are supposed to call me, however I'm being ignored. I'm pretty confident I have a good case.
Old 09-25-2017, 06:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Now available:  101 Projects for Your Porsche Boxster!

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: