Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche Engine Conversion Tech Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Flat 6 into a Beatle

Anyone have any info or photos on fitting a Porsche flat 6 into a Beatle
Old 08-10-2018, 12:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Old 08-10-2018, 04:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Under the radar

Location: Sebastopol, the land of wine and redwoods in The Republic of California.
Garage
OK, so I'm guessing you have a Beetle and a 911 motor, tons of time and mad fabrication skills?

There are a couple guys who stuffed a 911 motor in a Ghia. Do a Google. I'm sure someone in the past has done it to a Beetle.

I had considered putting my old 2,2L 911 motor in my Baja Bug. Instead I now have a 2,1L T1 motor in there.

You will have to overcome a couple of issues. First the 911 motor is 6 inches longer, not including the exhaust, and the mount is in the rear. Then there is the exhaust and the extra 100 lbs or so.

The big question is why would you attempt this? You would need to fabricate a new car from the rear wheels on back. Then how much power does a 911 have? You would be spending a fortune to get more than 250 Hp from a 911, AHIK.

There are kits available to up a T1 motor to 3 liters. That is easily 250 Hp. If you want more, turbo kits are available and the sky is the limit.

Good luck.

BTW, a friend of mine has a Carrera motor in his transporter. Mid engine. He basically built a new car under the T2 body.

Read about it here. Porsche Powered Mid-Engine Double Cab
#56 PCA Redwood Region, GGR, NASA, Speed SF
Trackrash's Garage :: My Garage
Old 08-10-2018, 11:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
I do have a 3ltr sitting around but I just remember when I was young and stupid seeing a type 2 lowlight with one in it. It was modified or extended out the rear somewhat. I'll check out the web
Old 08-10-2018, 02:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
cycling has-been

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalParadise View Post
That one's got a FabFour - not a FlatSix
Old 08-11-2018, 05:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Groucho Marxist

Garage
Stick it in a 914 instead
Old 08-13-2018, 12:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
I have to agree. Don't start unless you're serious. It would be minimum of 1 year for even the most talented fabricator to do something like this. More like 2 years though.

Me personally, I wouldn't bother cutting up an old beetle chassis and body, then welding back with all sorts of material (tubes, gussets, etc.). An old beetle chassis beefed up still wouldn't be as strong or handle as good as a body-drop on a Boxster chassis or similar.

https://youtu.be/lZDPuVhnhlY?t=311

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ka2qcp1JXwY&t=50s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jjZfISWfu0
Old 09-09-2018, 01:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: