Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche Engine Conversion Tech Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

1972 Porsche 911 Outlaw Project

Good Evening All,

I recently took the plunge into 911 ownership and received the car today after looking for quite some time. I imagine a few of you saw the car listed recently on eBay or elsewhere but it was pretty much exactly what I was looking for - A cosmetically rough, older 911 with a solid mechanical base. This one just happened to have a 930 trans and ZZ4 small block Chevrolet engine. I'm sure that will offend a number on the forum but I've always loved the idea.

Regardless, I wanted to introduce myself properly and hope to periodically post updates on the progress of my car. I've had a number of toys over the past 10-15 years - A Dodge Viper, Chevrolet Corvette FRC, Ducati 1198, KTM RC8R, and a number of McDonnell Douglas F/A-18s. But I never spent any real time working on or modifying them, my work schedule didn't really allow much free time. But after an unforeseen medical issue has now caused me to shift careers, I've found that I have significantly more time (when it's not being consumed by my beautiful, year old daughter) and figured now was as good of a time as any to pursue a passion that'll allow me to learn a number of new skills while I get to work with my hands creating my 911 into exactly what I want her to be.

Here is a quick photo I snapped after getting out of the car for the first time - What a blast. Completely unlike any other vehicle I have experienced. Raw and completely connected to the car.

Feel free to ask any questions as I'll be asking more than my share here over the next several weeks, months, and probably years.

Last edited by Ryan_Cunningham; 02-18-2019 at 02:06 PM.. Reason: .
Old 02-18-2019, 02:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
How about some more photos??
Old 02-18-2019, 04:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

The weather is suppose to be pretty bad the next several days so she's covered and put away. Here are a few that the seller sent to me as the car was getting loaded up. I don't have any interior pictures - It's pretty rough. The dash needs a complete restore/new pad, the headliner is pretty much gone, and there is no backseat or carpet. The thing that immediately needs changed is to lower the intake filter assembly. There is about an 1.5" spacer for some reason and I need to get it out of the way so I can install a grill in the ducktail for a significantly cleaner look.

A quick question if anyone knows - The tachometer isn't hooked up, I however have it in my possession. Is there a way I can test it to ensure it works before ordering the Tach Adapt kit that one of the Pelicans here created years back?

TACH-ADAPT

Old 02-19-2019, 01:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Nice buy Ryan, it wasn't cheap for a V8 conversion but certainly included a ton of high spec parts and cost much more to build.

The or at least "a" previous owner of your car is on this forum and has been advertising it for several years if I remember correctly, you might get more info from him on the exact spec and technical details.
Old 02-22-2019, 01:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Lukas,

Thank you. I got in touch with the original owner who sold the car to the guy I purchased it from and he was able to answer some of my questions. Bottom line, the car is a blast to drive. My wife is a bit skeptical due to the cosmetic condition, but I'm pretty sure the other lady in my wife is convinced it was a great decision!

That being said, I've finished a couple small projects - The weather is still not ideal, but I need assistance with installing the original tachometer which I have in a parts box. I'm not electronically inclined, but have a decent mechanical skill-base. I know there is a tachadapt kit that a user on the site sells for around $70, but anyone have any idea as to how to go about wiring it all up? The car currently has working gauges for water temperature and oil pressure only. I've contacted Renegade Customs as of this morning, but their harness states it only works for 1974 and later cars.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Old 03-15-2019, 12:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Also, after just viewing the pictures - Any safe way to effectively clean a primer'd surface? The car obviously doesn't have paint yet but I'd like to clean off the oil and grease that got onto the car in the shipping process.
Old 03-15-2019, 12:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Depends on what kind of primer you have but dish soap would be a safe start. Any auto paint store will sell grease remover but it costs a lot more.
Old 03-18-2019, 04:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

I have a 71 with a 434 cubic inch sbc roller motor with efi and 930 transaxle. if I can help feel free to message me.
Old 03-19-2019, 11:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

After some thought, I think I'm going to go with aftermarket gauges. Marshall sells some reasonably priced, high-quality gauges and I'm thinking about a fabricating a custom cluster with a large tachometer and speedo, and smaller oil press, water temp, fuel level, and voltage gauges flanking them two on each side. It'll be considerably cheaper than refurbishing the current gauges which look a bit worn.

Comp II LED Performance Gauges and Gauge Sets.

That being said, I've reached out to lin above, but does anyone know there is any reason that the 930 transaxle won't work with the tachometer listed below?

FAQ: What will I need to make the electric speedometer work?

I've done some research and everything I've read indicates that it should provided my sending sensor is working unless I'm missing something.

Also, anyone know what an entire 911 gauge cluster might sell for? And how I might be able to check whether or not they all function appropriately without reinstalling them on the now V8? I know the oil pressure gauge works, but that is the only one currently hooked up.
Old Today, 11:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: