Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche Engine Conversion Tech Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

I did understand you but my question may be the problem.

from what I understand the RH cradle bolts up to the engine supports at the rear of the car. I had thought it then bolted up to the gearbox mounts in the front. but it is sounding like the cradle expects the gearbox to get bolted to the stock trans mount?

just read GM is now selling a new version of the LS7, wet sump and 570hp crate motor.....

86 944 turbo my new DE/track car.
78 930 clone project car.
Old 06-16-2020, 07:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #41 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911tracker85 View Post
I did understand you but my question may be the problem.

from what I understand the RH cradle bolts up to the engine supports at the rear of the car. I had thought it then bolted up to the gearbox mounts in the front. but it is sounding like the cradle expects the gearbox to get bolted to the stock trans mount?

just read GM is now selling a new version of the LS7, wet sump and 570hp crate motor.....
Im following now, sorry my mistake! Yeah the cradle bolts to the stock engine mounts in the rear, but requires the use of the Porsche trans carrier. Maybe you saw MrRPJs build and his cradle like I initially did when researching this swap and thought it was the renegade one? (..76 with 993 GT2 Widebody..)

Last edited by VacantSky; 06-17-2020 at 07:13 AM..
Old 06-17-2020, 07:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #42 (permalink)

hmmm....
Old 06-18-2020, 05:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #43 (permalink)

Minor update, finished my wiring harness adventure. BMW fuse and relay panel installed successfully in the smugglers box along with the odyssey battery. All systems check out! All relays are updated to Bosch style for mass availability. The rear sensor wiring I pulled out by the starter along with the wire to the starter solenoid. Using a deutsch connector the oil press, oil light, oil temp, and alternator exciter wires jump across a shorter route than before with the starter to alternator cable. Which coincidently is the remainder of my shortened battery cable, that worked out perfectly! Pretty sure I can fire it up currently, so I now have zero excuses to not cut the front tub for the radiator..! That will be coming up next.
The frunk looks so much better with the fuse panel relocated!

Old 06-27-2020, 04:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #44 (permalink)

In regards to the clutch cable for a shortened 930 trans, I believe it will use the pt number for a long bellhousing 78+ 930 so I have that on order (930-423-401-09).

The 76/77 cable is a no go (I have one) along with the 915 cable. That leaves this one left..!
Old 06-27-2020, 05:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #45 (permalink)

Hi,
Any modification plans for the gear box to keep the revs down ?
Old 06-27-2020, 05:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #46 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtakenname View Post
Hi,
Any modification plans for the gear box to keep the revs down ?
Im using a 930 4 speed, the gears are very tall. 3rd and 4th are both overdrive gears. Roughly about 2300 rpm at 70mph
Old 06-27-2020, 06:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #47 (permalink)

when still planning to do the 3.3 turbo engine, the shop suggested I have the 930 4sp regeared. the wide ratios prevent keeping the turbo on a boil with the drop in rpm between gears. suggested I bring 2nd and 3rd in, and even 4th but that tends to get the cruising rpm high.

but with an LS and the wide torque range, no worries.
Old 06-28-2020, 06:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #48 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by VacantSky View Post
Im using a 930 4 speed, the gears are very tall. 3rd and 4th are both overdrive gears. Roughly about 2300 rpm at 70mph
Just an off topic question if you don't mind, do you think the gear box in the Normally Aspirated 997 is geared to not to rev too high if attached to LS engine?
Any info appreciated.
Thanks,
Old 06-28-2020, 10:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #49 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by VacantSky View Post
That corresponds exactly with what I've seen real-world with my shortened 930 LSD.

1972 Porsche 911 Outlaw - 400hp/930 transaxle/13" rear tires
F/A-18C/D, F-15C, F-35B/C
Old 06-28-2020, 10:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #50 (permalink)

Garage
Cheers to all the ingenious people in here not too afraid to tackle something this complicated.
I love to read about them so keep up the good work and please keep us updated. Some of us are living vicariously through your stories.
Thanks
Tony
Old 06-28-2020, 11:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #51 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911tracker85 View Post
when still planning to do the 3.3 turbo engine, the shop suggested I have the 930 4sp regeared. the wide ratios prevent keeping the turbo on a boil with the drop in rpm between gears. suggested I bring 2nd and 3rd in, and even 4th but that tends to get the cruising rpm high.

but with an LS and the wide torque range, no worries.
My thoughts exactly, the way the LS carries its torque across pretty much the whole curve will make it very at home behind the 930 trans

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtakenname View Post
Just an off topic question if you don't mind, do you think the gear box in the Normally Aspirated 997 is geared to not to rev too high if attached to LS engine?
Any info appreciated.
Thanks,
I dont know what the 997 ratios or final drive are, but if you can find a similar gearing chart as what i posted but for those cars, or look up their cruising RPMs that will be your answer. An LS crankshaft (or any engine for that matter) will turn the same revolutions as the Porsche one behind that trans. Hope that helps!

Old 06-28-2020, 03:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #52 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: