Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche Engine Conversion Tech Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 3.50 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
CT SPB Cheater

Garage
Send a message via ICQ to GaryR
Hey Jeff, want to trade your crank windows for power?
2009 Porsche Cayman S PDK/ 1997 PCA Spec Boxster Race car #154
Old 01-17-2012, 09:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #41 (permalink)

Garage
Hi Gary-
Thanks for the offer to trade for the power windows. Sorry, but no thanks, just greased the tracks they work perfecto! Lean and mean is the theme, or maybe its the kiss theory, either way I like what I have. Thanks for looking.
Jeff
Old 01-18-2012, 04:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #42 (permalink)

Great job so far!
Old 01-18-2012, 11:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #43 (permalink)

Garage
Acorad-
Much more to come, slow & steady is our pace. We are having as much fun building the beast as dreaming about it. Trying to build a durable, nice, clean, safe, & easy to maintain car possible.
Thanks for looking.

Last edited by 911JeffS; 02-24-2012 at 12:52 PM..
Old 01-20-2012, 03:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #44 (permalink)

Garage
Carpet installed! Tail lights dressed up!

I finally got around to taking the pictures of the carpet install. It all went well a little intimidating at first but it worked out fine. I always save pix from other peoples projects in a separate folder then refer back to it when I'm ready. I like the contrasting combo. I did refer often to this PP link below.
Pelican Technical Article: Starting the Project

I also removed the taillights cleaned the housing of dirt & glue. I replaced the infamous gaskets, claning the housings really helped to seat them. I did use some glue. I ran the lenses through the dishwasher then taped & painted the edges black gloss. I might go back & clear coat later.

Old 01-27-2012, 02:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #45 (permalink)

Garage
New Ignition Switch fix & add 3 fuse headlight swich

I finally got back to my "new ignition switch" that would not turn the starter, so "no spring action" First I took apart the old one and analyzed how it worked. I then removed the new one & disassembled it. I then sprayed some more lube and began turning the switch with a screwdriver inserted into the "+" (looks like a plus sign) finally started to feel the spring. I guess you have to help it learn to turn.

While I was in that area I also added 3 fuses at the headlight switch one was the blk&blue wire dash lights the others were switched on power from the ignition. This one was easy just buy the pre-wired fuse and holder put a male spade on one end and a female on the other connect it to the switch re-mount the switch connect the wires done.

Chow
Old 02-17-2012, 07:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #46 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

Garage
Follow up pictures ignition & fues

Follow up pictures --
The ignition switch

The fuses were a piece of cake, I had to pull them down a little to get a photo.

I hope this helps.
Thanks
Old 02-24-2012, 06:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #47 (permalink)

Garage
Transaxle attachment fix ? I hope so!

I bought these fasteners hoping to cure the bolts loosening and risk damage to the transaxle or worse problem. I have no affiliation with any vendor. The car is already on jack stands. I first torqued all bolts down to 34lbs. I had to buy an 8mm 12pt socket from sears. You need to come up with a system of rotation to keep track of your work. I alternated while tightening, so up down rotate. You will be up and down a lot working the hand brake. Then began to install these fasteners.

You may need to turn the bolt a smidge to fit the "key" on the 12 pt then you need the snap ring tool to get the rings on. They are tiny so don't squeeze to hard. This was a difficult job but again you will find a system. Take the wheels off to do the wheel side. You stick your head in the wheel well. Hey after 24 times you will have it down pretty good.

Last edited by 911JeffS; 02-24-2012 at 01:10 PM..
Old 02-24-2012, 07:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #48 (permalink)

Garage
Hello Jeff

I used this secure washers : http://www.nord-lock.com/
I think they are made in Sweden called Nord Lock they work with the original bolts.

Last edited by sirhiss; 02-27-2012 at 10:50 PM..
Old 02-27-2012, 10:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #49 (permalink)

Garage
Sirhiss-

Yes, very nice same idea.
Old 03-11-2012, 05:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #50 (permalink)
Swapper and Ruiner

Jeff,

Any project updates?

Hal

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911-technical-forum/649179-rsr-ls-conversion.html
Old 10-07-2012, 02:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #51 (permalink)

Garage
Sssssooooonnnnnn??????????

Hal-

Unfortunately, I had some terrible news in the late winter early spring to start the year. You see we received the unexpected news of my younger sisters passing. She was only 48 her name was Lisa. Loosing anyone is difficult to say the least, a sibling is well, someone unique, special, sometimes your first playmate. When I think about Lisa I was her first friend we played in the sand box together and rode are bikes up and down our street, stuff like that. You know the stuff that we all forget about until your a parent, and re live it through your own children. Well I had been busy with my life and family, I didn't remember this while she was alive to remind her how special those times were to me, and what a great person she really was. Its tough to deal with this now as she is gone, as anyone's passing is so difficult too. In her honor I would like to remind everyone to try to tell all of your loved ones or whoever you want, that they mean a lot to you, in whatever way you want to. You just can't get the moment, when you should have, back.

This summer I did not work on the car. I tried to enjoy time with my little ones now already 13 and 11 and friends on the boat and I can say with a it's nice to have a great family and good friends to help you through tough times.

My Dad would say when I was growing up projects are like therapy it will take your mind off your troubles and gets you focused on whatever task your trying to accomplish. Well he was right again, I guess it doesn't matter what your working on. Maybe it can be something else. Anyway even writing this is helping me to come out of this ok, a little more humble perhaps, or understanding of people in general. Everyone's got a story this is just another chapter of mine.

Ok the car was put on hold, but the creative juices are simmering almost ready to go. I have made some purchases during the summer in anticipation of the fall winter finish of this build. The parts I have purchased include a welmeister sway bar, hollow rear torsion bars 30's, spring plate bushings, my bilsteens seem ok so I will see how they feel. I also purchased the euromeister wheels 8's in front 9's for the rear I will need some help with tire selection I don't mind rolling the fender lips but would prefer not to do so. Up front I feel I would like to rebuild everything including suspension, steering, brakes, etc.. I need to weld up the front of the car and fasten the fuel tank and radiator to there proper places. I know the radiator is supposed to float so I want to spend the proper time there.

Hal- thanks again for asking.

If anyone else wants to say hi, add a new or old solution, ask a question, be my guest, it all helps to motivate me anyway to keep the project going. Thanks to all for stopping by.

With best regards to all,
Jeff

Last edited by 911JeffS; 10-26-2012 at 04:10 PM..
Old 10-08-2012, 03:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #52 (permalink)
Swapper and Ruiner

Jeff,

That's truly terrible. My heart breaks for you. I lost my mom earlier this year unexpectedly so I have an idea.

I agree with your Dad though. Do anything you can to get your mind off it. For me, that was work, the car and the fam.

Good luck and we're here when you need us.

Hal

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911-technical-forum/649179-rsr-ls-conversion.html
Old 10-08-2012, 05:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #53 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks again Hal, and your kind words are helpful, sorry about the loss of your Mom, any loss is horrible. I'm never gonna get used to this.

I've been watching your car and I've got to give you an ata boy for a really nice job, you should be proud, I will get there my friend. The car is definetly a second to everything else but I'm determined to finish for spring.
Northeast is weather permitting.
Jeff

Last edited by 911JeffS; 10-19-2012 at 03:22 PM..
Old 10-10-2012, 06:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #54 (permalink)

Garage
Never Gonna Quit

Well haven't done a whole lot lately, but stock piling parts and planning the completion. I'm committed or should be committed (one or the other) to finish or die trying. I'm thinking this is my last "project" whatever......., got some nice goodies to show, will have fat tires, gonna roll the fenders, thinking about making or cutting a rear scoop for brakes like turbo, working on rear suspension brakes etc.. new pix soon.

Last edited by 911JeffS; 02-17-2014 at 07:26 PM..
Old 09-11-2013, 07:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #55 (permalink)

Garage
New rear bearings, new upper trailing arm bushings, new torsion bars 30s, new rotors, calipers rebuilt and painted, All rear components blasted and coated. All mocked up need to torque everything then onto the front end. 22m Weltmeister sway bar. Pix soon.
Old 02-17-2014, 07:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #56 (permalink)

Garage

Old 02-23-2014, 01:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #57 (permalink)
Gas Huffer

Garage
Purdy!!! Keep up the great work Jeff!

#Porsche912RSTi or follow me @Porsche912RSTi
Old 02-25-2014, 05:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #58 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks Mike

Like spring time in Michigan here, we're pushing 60" of snow total for this winter. normal is like 12" or something.

1977 911S Targa
2004 GMC Siera Lifted
1973 Triumph 750 Tiger Chopper
1977 Triumph 750 Bonneville Cafe
2007 Jeep Unlimited lifted

Last edited by 911JeffS; 02-28-2014 at 04:19 PM..
Old 02-28-2014, 04:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #59 (permalink)

Garage
Manifolds or Headers ?

What did you guys use ? I currently have camaro/firebird manifolds. We noticed different diameter holes in each of the exhaust manifolds. One side is for the direct bolt up of catalytic converter. The other a longer pipe then catalytic converter. Will the different diameters affect the engine ? how did you solve this issue? do I bail out and get truck headers ? What did you use ?
Thanks,
Jeff

Last edited by 911JeffS; 03-10-2014 at 06:44 PM..
Old 03-10-2014, 06:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #60 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: