Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche Engine Conversion Tech Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 3.80 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Thanks for the update!
What is your rpm at 60mp/hr?
Are you happy with the running engine temperature?
Is it possible to tell us which gears and what ratios you changed?
Hey, a video of the car drive by, idle, acceleration and all that would be great too!

Old 10-18-2019, 06:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #121 (permalink)

Garage
That car looks great. Almost a sleeper.
Old 10-18-2019, 07:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #122 (permalink)

Garage
JackDidley
Yes a sleeper indeed.
dtakenname
Summer cab can get warm still tying to improve it, now however is perfect. The engine temps stay about 180* but it can creep up to 210* which is normal temps for this engine. I'm still not used to seeing 210* so I do start backing down to cool off. I'm thinking of ignoring it the next time out.
Try to address the rest later.

Last edited by 911JeffS; 10-19-2019 at 07:29 AM..
Old 10-19-2019, 07:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #123 (permalink)

Garage
Quite an odyssey, but well done! I am a 40+year Porsche guy and have always thought about doing a SBC 911. The Targa's only draw back has been lack of stiffness but that can be managed with some strategic welds and/or a semi-cage (ish) set up for the track. I've had several Cabs and coupes but never a targa. Again, well-done!
Old 12-03-2019, 03:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #124 (permalink)

Garage
Oil Catch Can

pkp
Appreciate the hat tip. I agree if I ever get to the track would definitely stiffen up those side interior rockers etc Matter of fact like all 911's I would weld up every spot or stitch welded seam on the car too..Just like the factory did with RSR. On the street though the Targa is a blast ! Nothing like it ! I have cab stiffeners and a carbon fiber top now which would get me competitive on the track. Also in a Targa with top off you can have a conversation, that is, if your not cranking up the motor or the tunes or both. All 911's are amazingly engineered machines, all of the small stuff they've overcome, is so fun to realize there was planning behind it. Maybe I will grab a coupe someday too. Building another a snap now.
Anyway_
I did find that I needed to add a OIL CATCH CAN to the PCV system. I noticed blowing smoke on down shifts. I maybe was in denial or something cause I had read about the issue but hadn't pursued it until now. Happy to report all is well now, no blow by oil going into the throttle body or intake. My engine is a stock LS1 intake spun around rear throttle body. I use the stock Corvette PCV system and now into a non-vented catch can. So PCV return into vented OCC out of OCC into manifold. I made my own bracket and mounted it to the right rear of the engine next to transmission. My goals are a clean factory look. I will add the pix as soon I can remember how on this format

Last edited by 911JeffS; 12-23-2019 at 11:30 AM.. Reason: Yes
Old 12-21-2019, 03:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #125 (permalink)
83 911SC Cab

I'd love to see your LSTarga in person! Planning an LS swap for my next Rescued 911.
Old 12-27-2019, 03:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #126 (permalink)

Garage
Jeff,
I am just now replying because I've allowed life to interfere and my Porsche life took a back seat. If you ever get a chance to do some final audio or vids of you driving the car--maybe that son of yours would love to be your co-pilot and camera man. Of course, most gearheads (me/you/most on this forum) know that sound of a SBC in anger. The dichotomy is hearing it juxtaposed against a Porsche dashboard and forward view. Catch my drift? By the way, speaking of drifts, it would be just as much fun to hear you throttle steering the car as you drift it around some vacant parking lot...(thinking that might not be the best example for your son, who is now that much closer to driving age...) In any event, again well done. I still have my 73 E coupe which is on the slow road back to road-worthy restoration after 30 years of the slow migration to more of a track rat than concours car which is what it was when I bought it from a dear Porsche brother.
I only wish now that I would have done a LS conversion on my 03 Boxster S now after spinning a bearing on a hot track day. I replaced the 3.2 with a 3.6 (911) motor and for what I spent, I think I could have done the LS...and picked up another 100HP over the 3.6. I live at altitude so every little pony counts.
Old 02-04-2020, 05:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #127 (permalink)

Garage
You know...the being the P-car queer that I am, there are a few little things I would also do which would be both functional and to my eye, appealing
First of all, I would do at least some H-4 headlights. Hella, Cibie, whatever, but for night time cruising even those simple 7" quartz iodine headlights with 60/100W (do a relay) bulbs would turn night into day and allow you to cruise alfresco with enough visual margin to do it safely. Ideally I'd try to find at least a set of Euro H-4's at a minimum and H1/H4 if cost isn't an issue. They just look badass and work great.
I would also do a ducktail and factory chin spoiler. Yeah, yeah, yeah...I know the duck tail isn't "period" correct for that vintage, but I still think it would be effective and not be overboard. I grew up with Porsche's and know the table top (variation of a whale-tail) was for many, the way to go...I just love the retro of the duck (plus it's amazing effective for even spirited street driving--and track stuff too...) and the tidiness of the front chin. Amber Euro tail lights and maybe a lower rocker molding or Carrera script (maybe w/some clever reference to LS) would balance the car's appearance top to bottom. You know the reference to opinions...sorry.
I think your car is badass in general, dude, and I'm pretty jaded. I have so many memories in a 911...I'd love to do Mulholland or PC1--or any road out here in Colorado and make yet another!!!
Old 02-04-2020, 05:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #128 (permalink)

Garage
Cherry Bomb-
Yes trying to make the car show rounds this summer. I plan on promoting my Garage (concrete) floor coatings business. I have coated my work trailer with our product line, it came out great. I'm doing my garage now, of course mine is the worst one we've taken on . It was previously repaired over 20 years ago before we bought the house. I will bring the car in the trailer to the shows with trailer all lit up. Back it out with only straight pipes, and show car opened up for all to see. I still need to finish some cosmetics. Hey maybe I will go "as is" kinda let peoples minds wander. Go as an "outlaw" like my Country Music thats even better.
I will post the dates here of what local CT shows we're going to attend. Or PM me after February ends..May have some time in early spring. Thanks all

Last edited by 911JeffS; 02-11-2020 at 09:59 AM..
Old 02-09-2020, 10:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #129 (permalink)

Garage
pkp _ Our P-car tastes seem to be along the same lines.. I have those design ideas in mind as well for the car. Love it.
I hear you on drivability probably needs the down force I bought the cheap duck tail off the auction site it's not bad but needs some help. Fortunately we havesome fg experience and good helper see below. Thanks for the kind words, it is absolutely true this car is a riot and a handful. This guy I met who's a stunt driver called it Halloween on wheels....

pkp and Everyone else - My son is now almost 21 he is a mechanical engineering major finishing jr year. I think it blows his mind how i backyard engineered this car. Only problem I cant bull**** him. So I have to run **** by him cause well, he's freakin engineer. All in good fun, but he searches and figures problems out very fast, so pretty helpful. Like the bracket for the catch can. I first got a piece of tin foil mocked up a bracket. Then I went and got a piece of aluminum stock. I measured, marked it up, cut it, hammered bent it in the vise, was making final adjustments. He comes home asked to see it. I tell him I might put drill bit holes in it for coolness. He measures it goes inside, comes back in like 15min has it spinning in 3d on his computer !!! Then says no holes the weight and stress is not within spec ! I turned and said yeah me neither ! We both laughed LOL pretty cool though. Point is don't chase them away girls or boys he's been watching me since he was a baby. He excelled in school, I pointed him to Mechanical Engineering, now he's about to start his first paid gig. Great company who makes parts for many big time companies here in CT. Also hes got a VR6 GTI that is in great shape and he modified suspension new ss exhaust replaced every mount and bushing dropped engine new clutch and down pipe and lots more he loves the hobby as much as any of us. I offered in the past any tips advise help just ask. As time permits I will answer.

Last edited by 911JeffS; 02-10-2020 at 11:16 AM..
Old 02-09-2020, 10:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #130 (permalink)

Garage

Old 02-11-2020, 10:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #131 (permalink)

Garage
Hey I spoke to soon finally getting car in for some cosmetics ! Well see how the budget likes it. Best part is do it now before spring summer driving time. So I may unload here and get her done. Post it soon with some speed video etc.. more on fb at Trailer Park.... etc.. look for car on trailer.

Last edited by 911JeffS; 02-11-2020 at 11:43 AM..
Old 02-11-2020, 10:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #132 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: