Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche Engine Conversion Tech Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 3.50 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
911S Rescued&Rebirth as 911LS1 super car

Hi hope you enjoy reading this.

This Targa was dying a slow & painful death its days numbered, until I found and rescued it . Porsche enthusiasts from all walks of life were pulling off any part, big or small maybe for another project or a quick buck. Being a mid-year with high mileage, I suspect the original engine with its flaws was long gone. As I later found evidence of a small fire. Whatever engine was installed for its second life was now also gone. No love for the pretty little mid-year with its bright trim and SC Flares. The car crusher was salivating for its next meal.

The car was living out its second life in a dessert town in California. The dry air there is very kind to old cars, the 77 has minimal rust. It was resting in an impound lot where I found it. It did not have the keys or a title. I paid the man the required fees & he sent me a new title. He revealed to me the PO parked it came by removed the engine and he never saw him again.
The transport truck had broken down in Texas on the way to CT and they sent another truck to fetch the several cars they were moving. The car arrived in Ct in July about a month after I paid for it. I was a little excited to finally get it home. The transport driver was a good guy he accommodated my schedule so I was glad to offer him a little tip. Then as we pushed the car into my driveway he said, "OH BY THE WAY THERE IS A BLACK WIDOW SPIDER LIVING IN THE CAR -BUT DON'T WORRY THEY ONLY COME OUT AT NIGHT" Then he revealed that his Dad was bitten once and was painfully sick for only a week.
I would need to develope a plan, I would bundle up in some winter clothes, and with a flash light attached to a shop vac I would hunt the monster. I waited until night fall to execute my plan. Of course my son an enthusiastic 11 year old could not stay away. So here we are around 10:00 PM in the middle of July in the North East, (it was probably 80*) at night in winter clothes trying to a shine a flashlight on a spider who doesn't like the light, and suck her up with a shop-vac in an instant. Well the first night she ran away under the seat and I called it quits cause I figured if their spooked chances are its not coming back out. Besides I was sweating buckets. I did however get a sense of timing. The second night I had similar conditions very warm wearing winter clothes, flash light and vacuum. My wise guy neighbor planted a toy spider on the seat which got me for a second, I admit I was spooked, but I was still determined to execute the plan. I was sure that the Black Widow Spider would be out on the web waiting to catch some food. I shined my light in the car where I had seen the monster the previous night. There was webbing in the front & rear on the passenger side seat. I shinned the light on the rear web real fast then pulled back, nothing. I shined the light in the front of the seat bingo! The next step was to back up my son up, we were both very excited, laughing, and nervous.

"Ok" I said in my best Dad wisdom voice in the teachable moment to my son, first you make a plan then follow through on the plan and achieve results! I proceeded to then shine the light and suck up the critter in one quick move. Well I missed, no just kidding, I got her, that b#$%h then I was worried did I really get her ? so I had to take the vacuum apart to be sure. She was in the bottom of the vacuum all beat up, dead? maybe. When she went into the vacuum it sounded like a pebble going through the vacuum, a nasty feeling. So I opened the can found it and ground it to sand with a cut piece of 2x4 until there was nothing left, victory was now mine.

Over the next few days I jacked up the car onto some blocks and power washed the little car. I then started carefully gutting the ratty interior and yes, removing the spider webs. My spider senses told me to look for spider eggs, and I realized if I could get everything out, and if I did not see any new webs I could be confident the BWS was a done deal. The Targa top was difficult to remove the handles were broken off, I used something unconventional to twist the shaft and "pop" it came right out. The car had a fiberglass speaker enclosure in the rear. I'm surprised this was left behind it seems like it could have made some change. I tried wiggling the enclosure and tugging on it, finally I just pushed the grill and it fell into my hands now I could access a couple screws. Still using my spider senses I reach into the enclosure to feel around and I start pulling out previously removed interior parts, a little tool kit, hey maybe someone did care! One last reach in and out comes the skimpiest-slinkiest-sexiest little black dress, wow! the "Black Widow" woman. The dress was made from the type of material that would never wrinkle so she was always ready if you know what I mean. You know the Black Widow story she finds a mate has some fun then kills him. Hey, maybe that's not such a bad deal for the guy, she could have married him and killed him slowly! relax ladies, that was just to easy.

The 915 trans was still installed in there along with the ratty old interior & Targa top, with the 16" Fuchs all around & SC type flares the car had a nice look to it.. One of the door pockets was removed along with the fresh air vents & hoses, in the trunk no tool kit or manual. Many engine related parts are gone. I proceeded to remove the 915/61 tranny and delivered it 5 minutes from my house, to my now friend Gary Fairbanks "the Transmission guru" since I had no records on the car I figured let a professional check it out. Well Gary showed me the abuse the car took chipped teeth on a few gears and a bent main shaft. Gary said the tranny was severely abused. The move to bring it to Gary had paid off as far as I was concerned. If I had tried to "go with it" wow what a mistake that would have been. The PO had further abused the car by leaving a leaking battery in its mount, nothing a little grinding and welding wont fix though. I guess people just lose interest or stop caring, on the other hand that's how projects come about for all of us.

This car is a perfect candidate for me & my LS1 project. I'm taking advantage of it already being looted of half its parts, I would not have to deal with yanking the motor, storage & selling and the price was adjusted to reflect this fact.
The P-car being a Targa, the little car nobody wanted, would have its revenge! A 2500 lbs car, with almost 400 hp! a killer sleeper, watch out! She bites with "spider" venum! The funny thing is now in its third life, it will probably be treated best. I will use the car for commuting to NYC and back home, a distance of 100mi round trip. I will also enjoy it with family locally at car events in and around my town. The Targa P-car is really perfect for my purpose, low cost, small, nimble, & fun. I wanted reliability, low cost, DIY maintenance. A perfect combination, finally an affordable world class ride. I would like to thank this form, Pelican Parts, and everyone who has helped me with this on going project.
Chow Bela

Oil Tank & lines- $300.00
CDI- $200.00
Fpr&Filter- $100.00
Starter- $ 50.00
Fuel pump $100.00
a/c core/blower $250.00

Last edited by 911JeffS; 03-23-2011 at 07:09 PM.. Reason: title
Old 03-20-2011, 01:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

not to change your mind on the LS-1, but I think a rotary turbo is a good conversion for a 911 too far gone or too much gone to restore. I bet it is probably cheaper too.

YouTube - Turbo Rotary 911 Porsche
Tim
04 S2000
Old 03-20-2011, 02:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

jeff, there are several good forum topics regarding the conversion. and, lots with excellent pictures. i would study those carefully and try to take ideas from each. im sure that you know that renegade hybrids has excellent conversion parts as well as excellent technical assistance. i am working on my conversion as well. if i can offer any advice just ask!

Last edited by lin7310948; 03-21-2011 at 05:19 AM..
Old 03-21-2011, 04:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Great story Jeff! I brought two cars up from TX that had been sitting in a field for 20 years. While cleaning out the 75, a huge, and I mean HUGE spider almost jumped on me. Body was as big as your thumbnail, probable 2 inch leg span with big, meaty legs. Reminded me of the wood spiders in the basement as a boy. Could have eaten a chihuahua. Got out the hose and started spraying.

Good luck with your project!
Old 03-21-2011, 05:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Thank you for the positive comments.

Feelyx, I'm all set with the LS1 thanks. That rotary is an interesting setup, maybe another project, someday? (wifewillkillme) For my purposes and my driving style the LS1 seem to be a really great fit.

Hey Lin, thanks for all your help so far. I will certainly be emailing you soon.

Shaun- Thanks for sharing your story, This little car has been a great ride and I haven't even finished her yet!

There is more to this story. I'm still building the car, all is going well. I'm using the Renegade kit, The kit is very well made & easy to follow. For me the biggest challenge is time management and additional side projects (while YOUR there stuff) I will start documenting this as well. A couple of early issues: I had to drill out (widen) a bolt hole in the Kep adapter plate. I chose to tap the Vette oil pressure mount so my kit's switch would work there. The picture above in my garage is just after a clean up and a little wax. These pictures are where it was sitting in the desert. It was very dusty from sitting, in a very dry climate.

Last edited by 911JeffS; 03-21-2011 at 06:48 PM..
Old 03-21-2011, 02:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Here I am at work, thinking about my next steps with the 911/ LS1 Conversion. I've got the Engine & tranny bolted together. I had to install a new TB coolant line & block offs. I've got to get the PVC setup on. I have the water pump installed, the hoses cut and mounted. I need to mount the exhaust manifolds, wiring harness, throttle cable bracket needs finish mounting. I have to fix the newly installed aluminum fuel lines, I want to shorten them to make it easier to finish install. I've already re-painted the Engine compartment, I will need to touch up a bit. Then I will install Eng/trans package into the car. Notice the green Bilsteens

Last edited by 911JeffS; 03-29-2011 at 03:07 PM..
Old 03-25-2011, 02:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

Garage
I touched up the engine compartment today, solved a couple small odds & ends felling good. I'm gonna hit it hard next week when work calms down. I have to get a couple little parts ordered.
Old 03-31-2011, 04:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Looks like a fun project!
Old 03-31-2011, 08:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
I finally got off work early and got to it!
Even better was my son came out to the garage to help, did I mention he's almost 12
So I had stripped the exhaust manifolds of rust and painted them with some heat resistant stuff, well see.
Tuesday (today) we mounted and torqued them down. Then we managed to hook up the computer to the engine all went well.
We then filled the trans with oil & called it a night. A good productive few hours. I hope to install the engine/trans this week.
Old 04-12-2011, 09:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

be sure to keep your helper in the loop...great experience working on a porsche project with your son. i have been busy on my project but time really goes by. the engine was late. the headers took several weeks and are in shipping now. all the small things take a day or two...so it does require lots of patience. ..and you live in the cold north. need to snap a few pics of the engine.
Old 04-13-2011, 02:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
Hey Lin-
Thanks for looking. Here are some eng pix not the best shots but..... Yes your right tough to keep on going up here, but I will do it! Notice the outdrive in the back round got to get the boat going then back to the car. I will be emailing you soon for help. Have a nice spring. Enjoy the light blue car whileyour waiting.
(I could not get the images to load I will try again later)

Last edited by 911JeffS; 04-14-2011 at 10:13 AM..
Old 04-14-2011, 10:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
Here are some engine pix not that fancy but should be effective at GVW 2500#
I will have to wait until next week to install. Presently on vacation with family for some much needed R&R . I welcome comments, questions. I know I need this board, so if I can help/share please ask!

Old 04-15-2011, 12:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

looking good jeff. i am assuming that the exits of the exhaust manifolds do clear the engine cradle without modification???? i spent most of yesterday and today mounting the drive by wire pedal in my car. still got a bit of adjustment to make but got it close. enjoy your vacation...
Old 04-15-2011, 01:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
lin-
Yes their pretty tight, I will have a small battle with the exhaust manifolds exits but we will persevere! (some cutting,welding). These are the (LQ-9s) camaro/firebird style that RH recomends. I will post results when we get to it. It seems every step has a little fine tunning/modification. I think patience, along with planning, seems the key to a sucessful build.
Old 04-16-2011, 11:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Why do the rear fenders look a lot like SC fenders, as used for 78+ model years.....wider than a real 77.....

?????

Are you sure you got a 77 ??
Old 04-16-2011, 01:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Garage
Will _ Thanks for looking. The car is a late 77, as I understand it you could order anything the factory offered so........
I also can't feel any seems in the wheel wells, the flares look & seem flawless! I purchased the car because I like the way the car looks & sits so no need to change it. I agree it does share the SC's good looks!
Old 04-18-2011, 01:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Garage
Hello Jeff

Cool projekt!! i made my exhaust like this and i also use the camaro manifolds, i Live in Denmark where there is laws aginsl too loud exhausts but it still sounds great. the first 2 pipes is 2,5" and after the collector 3" i have made my own engine mounts so i dont know if it would fit your car.

Just a little inspiration...........
Old 04-26-2011, 12:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Garage
Sirhiss-
Funny, I have your exhaust pic saved in my exhaust file. I'm subscribed to one of your threads. Thanks for some good inspiration keep it coming!
Old 04-27-2011, 05:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Garage
The engine is in!

Last edited by 911JeffS; 06-05-2011 at 01:07 PM..
Old 05-19-2011, 04:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Great story (especially the SPIDER drama)...sounds like a fun project!
EX - 1979 Porsche 911SC TARGA
EX - 1976 BMW 2002
Old 05-19-2011, 06:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: