Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help



Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche Engine Conversion Tech Forum

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Eng-o-neer
 
Tremelune's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Pawling NY
Posts: 2,150
Yeah, but...then you'd still have a 915.

I'm unaware of an adapter plate for any Porsche motor and the Subaru transmission...That's the current sticking point for 3.6 swaps and the like.
Old 10-20-2016, 09:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 59
Engine Option List - 6 cyl
Here is your porsche to subaru adaptor

And to the post above. I wouldnt even bother with a non turbo non lsd for the small price difference and No the turbo sti 5 speed is a pull type clutch. go hydro or nothing.
Old 10-20-2016, 06:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Southern California
Posts: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tremelune View Post
Yeah, but...then you'd still have a 915.

I'm unaware of an adapter plate for any Porsche motor and the Subaru transmission...That's the current sticking point for 3.6 swaps and the like.
I feel the primary disadvantage of rebuilding a 915 transmission is it that it wouldn't shift as smooth as a modern transmission... which is a very significant disadvantage because we all want smooth/fast shifts.

Besides that it sounds like there are ways to beef up the 915 transmission to handle the 3.6L power if that is the primarily concern. Speaking the CMS and Wevo guys, they don't seem to be too concerned about the 915 mating to a 3.6L provided the proper upgrades are performed (side cover, retainer plate, LSD, etc.). At the same time, perhaps they are okay with this because they know you'll come back sooner for a rebuild?

I haven't researched the Subaru transmissions that in depth. They may have their issues as well in terms of handling more power. They were originally designed to deliver power to 4 wheels. Now we're reducing that to 2 wheels with the conversion so more power per axle is the way I view it. Plus depending on which Subaru transmission you use, some have been labeled by the Subaru community as a "glass transmission". Again, more research may give us these answers and may prove these concerns are unwarranted, but just a few things to also consider.
Old 10-21-2016, 08:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)
Administrator
 
Luccia at Pelican Parts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 2,873
Digging this build a lot! Wanted to share with you that we are running a Facebook contest right now that this thread would be perfect for. Just post a link to it at the bottom of this post here: https://www.facebook.com/pelicanparts/posts/10157506166610332. Of course if you're interested. There is a chance to get 10% off your next parts order with us if you get featured in our newsletter. I definitely see this getting featured. Keep up the good work and let me know if you have any questions!
Old 10-21-2016, 09:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)
Registered User
 
clutch-monkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 724
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightbulb8817 View Post
I feel the primary disadvantage of rebuilding a 915 transmission is it that it wouldn't shift as smooth as a modern transmission... which is a very significant disadvantage because we all want smooth/fast shifts.

Besides that it sounds like there are ways to beef up the 915 transmission to handle the 3.6L power if that is the primarily concern. Speaking the CMS and Wevo guys, they don't seem to be too concerned about the 915 mating to a 3.6L provided the proper upgrades are performed (side cover, retainer plate, LSD, etc.). At the same time, perhaps they are okay with this because they know you'll come back sooner for a rebuild?
i have 10 years through a 915/3.6 combo and it's been fine with very regular track use (only one rebuild in that time), but that is with street driving and timed sprints only (4 sessions of 5-7 laps each in half a day).
If i was to enter a longer race - say something actually door to door racing that went for longer than 5-7 timed laps per session, i'd have doubts about the longevity of the 915.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightbulb8817 View Post
I haven't researched the Subaru transmissions that in depth. They may have their issues as well in terms of handling more power. They were originally designed to deliver power to 4 wheels. Now we're reducing that to 2 wheels with the conversion so more power per axle is the way I view it. Plus depending on which Subaru transmission you use, some have been labeled by the Subaru community as a "glass transmission". Again, more research may give us these answers and may prove these concerns are unwarranted, but just a few things to also consider.
the weak subaru boxes were the wrx's of over a decade ago afaik. STI boxes are solid, and wrx boxes have long since been beefed up
Old 10-21-2016, 02:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 59
My box is from a 2010 model. But like i said it was a trial betwwen me and my gearbox builder to see if a replacement is possible and if anyone was going to break it, it would be me. So if it holds up well to My LS1 im sure it will be fine to start swapping in to 2.7s, 3.0. 3.2 ects

Last edited by MrRPJ; 10-24-2016 at 02:48 PM..
Old 10-23-2016, 04:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)
Administrator
 
Luccia at Pelican Parts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 2,873
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightbulb8817
I haven't researched the Subaru transmissions that in depth. They may have their issues as well in terms of handling more power. They were originally designed to deliver power to 4 wheels. Now we're reducing that to 2 wheels with the conversion so more power per axle is the way I view it. Plus depending on which Subaru transmission you use, some have been labeled by the Subaru community as a "glass transmission". Again, more research may give us these answers and may prove these concerns are unwarranted, but just a few things to also consider.
Quote:
Originally Posted by clutch-monkey View Post
the weak subaru boxes were the wrx's of over a decade ago afaik. STI boxes are solid, and wrx boxes have long since been beefed up
Clutch Monkey is correct. The 5 speed transmission is what you'll want to stay away from. The STi 6 speed transmission is thought of as "bullet proof." Mine is 13 years old and has not been taken easy on. I'm currently opening it up this winter to replace a few synchros, but that is the extent of any issues it has had in 13 years of life. Also, if you decide to go this route, I've been looking into swapping mine out in the future if I don't go with a longer gear ratio transplant, but the '06 transmission is a good year to go with.

Last edited by Luccia at Pelican Parts; 10-24-2016 at 08:52 AM..
Old 10-24-2016, 08:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)
ALEX P
 
ALEX P's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: BUCKS, UK
Posts: 294
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightbulb8817 View Post
In the end, I asked for more specifics on the master/slave cylinders and other parts I need to convert to hydraulics but they said they don't handle that aspect. That's when I lost interest because we're looking at about $6700 + costs for the hydraulic parts which will probably be another grand or so and many hour of research, custom fabrication, etc. to do the a subaru transmission conversion. I can probably get my 915 rebuilt with an LSD and upgraded side plate, retainer plate, etc. for less.
The way I was looking at it was to swap the front end components like pedals, slave & m/c etc out with a G50 setup and keep the rear slave etc all Subaru. That way everything has a better chance of fitting straight in.
Speaking to Subarugears you just retain the Subaru starter motor and clutch. These parts are two a penny and can be bought very cheaply, as can Subaru gearboxes....

You could also go down the custom pedal route but would probably take a bit more headscratching!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRPJ View Post
My box is from a 2010 model. But like i said it was a trial betwwen me and my gearbox builder to see if a replacement is possible and id anyone was going to break it it would be me. so it it holds up will to My LS1 im sure it will be fine to start swapping in to 2.7s, 3.0. 3.2 ects
Good on you, loving this project

Out of interest any idea what sort of bhp/torque you are expecting your LS1 to put through the 'box?
Old 10-24-2016, 12:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 59
Sorry about the typos in my above post my phone is playing up and and still no sign of my iPhone 7 yet gerrrr.
I looking to run around 400hp at the wheels. The same box is currently in a Supercharged 1uzfe Lexus v8 gt40 replica and so far it's been holding up well. And I'm sure if anything was going to blow it it would be a supercharger.
Old 10-24-2016, 02:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)
Registered User
 
OffCamber00's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Charlotte
Posts: 885
Garage
For those of you who have done research on this swap, does it make sense to go from a G50 to an STi box? The G50 build I want is going to be roughly $10K with short gears, LSD, etc. If I can do a subie swap for half of that it may make sense.

....just kicking the tires on it at this point.
__________________
Mat P
1988 911 Carrera
Old 10-25-2016, 09:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 59
No the G50 is a gun gearbox I didnt go down the route purely dud to the total being around the 15-18k mark the STi version is going to to cost me 6.5k finished then parts,clutches and rebuilds are cheap! Dont forget its more then just bolting in a g50, Most early require lots more like coil overs, cut torsion tubes,pedal conversions, hydo clutch install, axles ect as well.
Old 10-26-2016, 12:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)
Registered User
 
OffCamber00's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Charlotte
Posts: 885
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRPJ View Post
No the G50 is a gun gearbox I didnt go down the route purely dud to the total being around the 15-18k mark the STi version is going to to cost me 6.5k finished then parts,clutches and rebuilds are cheap! Dont forget its more then just bolting in a g50, Most early require lots more like coil overs, cut torsion tubes,pedal conversions, hydo clutch install, axles ect as well.
I already have a G50. My question was if it was worth doing the STi swap vs the full goodies rebuild of my current box.
__________________
Mat P
1988 911 Carrera
Old 10-26-2016, 05:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)
Eng-o-neer
 
Tremelune's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Pawling NY
Posts: 2,150
I doubt it. Putting a Subie box in will likely cost a similar amount to a G50 rebuild when all is said and done, and would certainly devalue the car for resale. The improvement in shifter feel and power handling might improve marginally, but not dramatically.

If I had a G50 in my car, I would spend the money to get it up to snuff, and I'd leave it right there...That said, I also wouldn't change the internal gearing unless wear/damage forced me to...
Old 10-26-2016, 05:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)
Registered User
 
OffCamber00's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Charlotte
Posts: 885
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tremelune View Post
I doubt it. Putting a Subie box in will likely cost a similar amount to a G50 rebuild when all is said and done, and would certainly devalue the car for resale. The improvement in shifter feel and power handling might improve marginally, but not dramatically.

If I had a G50 in my car, I would spend the money to get it up to snuff, and I'd leave it right there...That said, I also wouldn't change the internal gearing unless wear/damage forced me to...
That is what i was after....info on the cost benefit. $10k feels high to add a subie box to a car that already has the hydraulics.....but maybe not.

My car shifts great, but its no modern transmission. As far as gearing....depends on use. Mine is a track/fun car and, imo, the gearing is way too tall. This box benefits greatly from a taller 2nd and short 3-5.

appreciate the feedback.
__________________
Mat P
1988 911 Carrera
Old 10-26-2016, 12:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 59
Sorry offcamber I miss read your question. I would say no keep the g50 and fix it. If you want smooth shifts like a new car go subi dont forget you will have an exposed shifter with the subi conversion. but if you had a g50 the swap could cost you 6k sinch you have a lot of the bits needed.
Old 10-26-2016, 05:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 59
Quick update. Roll cage is finished, car is back to bare metal, new g50 pedal arrived for the hydo clutch needed for the subaru box and next weekend should be in primer. video should be out this weekend and they are slowly getting better so bare with me



Weld quality




JUst needs final welds done on feet and harness bars then off to powder coaters



















Old 11-23-2016, 10:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 59
New video so go easy Im still learning how to make them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_cuv_S5R3vU
Old 12-11-2016, 08:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 59
It s been a busy few weeks. I decided to scrap the g50 pedal set up and go full Tilton Pedal box with triple remote reservoir, I think it will suit the Ls swap and make life a little easier. I started work on fixing my dinted doors and got the car in primer.

next job is to finish the doors off, sand the bumpers and fenders and finish fixing my cracked fender.

I get a lot of questions on my transaxle so I might make a video on it next showing everyone how it works and what i got.

















Old 01-04-2017, 05:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #38 (permalink)
 
Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 59






Old 01-04-2017, 06:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #39 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 250
not bad
Old 01-04-2017, 06:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #40 (permalink)
Reply

Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

 


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 05:04 PM.


 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2016 Pelican Parts - Posts may be archived for display on the Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page
 

DTO Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.