Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche Engine Conversion Tech Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Porsche Crest

So for anyone interested Here is my build im starting.

I will be needing a lot of help from the members here as a lot of things on this car will probably have only been done one or twice from info I can find,

Now before I Start let me start off by saying the car was purchased with no interior, motor or box. The plan was to be a budget build and building what I wanted not what you think it should be. My previous car was a Mercedes E55 the last of the Supercharged V8s. I have always loved the sound and feel of a V8 and on the same note I have always loved the timeless look of the 911 so I shopped around looking for a project as I never had plans of a doing a resto.

Behold my 76 911 that came with a 993 widebody. So I jumped in the car and drove to sydney and pick up my ride.

So the plan is to give it a GT2/RSR look but run a turbo LS1. The transaxle is a custom built one for me from a company in Sydney.

This will be purely home built and on a budget. You are all welcome to offer ideas and help on anything you think me assist. I'm open to keeping this group build I'm just not interested in any of your purist opinions. I was thinking of making Youtube vlogs nothing high quality but more of update evey few days rather than one a week or month. Whats everyones thoughts.

dead photos links removed
So lets get started.

So I have started on fitting my GT2 flares and working on making my roll cage. I picked up a cage from an alfa 105 which is almost the same size. with a few easy mods it should fit quite easily as the main hoop is the same size.

So first job is to remove the remaining interior and clear away some of the dynamat for the mounting plates for the roll cage. I tell ya this **** was a pain to remove Super sticky and sharp like a torn coke can. But im glad the car had it as the LS1 will be loud!!

This was the cage I picked up

and starting to strip interior and dynamat

now for a quick test fit.

Ill try weld the 2 "X" braces in this weekend.

Also my white gagues and wheels have arrived.
The wheels are 3 piece Monacos 18x9 front and 18x11 rear with 305s Pilot Sports all round the centres will be going gloss black

Next I spent a few hours playing with my flares i was keen to see how the fit was with my wheels as I was worried about the offset. So it was time to get cutting.

I know what it feels like to be Nakai now and cut up a 911 lol

So I drilled some holes and added bolts and done

Now the fan part. I was not going to waste money with a ****ty 915 so instead went with a custom box for a lot les money and the internals are all brand new. The box is a STI 5 speed with the rear drive unit removed and shortened I went with a the oversize ring and pinion and and double syncros on 1,2,3. Single syncros for the rest. it comes in shorter than a 901 box and will allow my to have the engine a little higher and forward more.

this is compared to a 901

now the output for porsche is bottom the ooutput for subaru is top so im goung to run an exposed shifter link sorta like a spyker

Now the above pics show the fin in a 912 the 911 has a slighty bigger tunnel so the fit should be very easy. Ill mount my shifter higher and and cut down the throw.

I just picked up my gated shifter for that chink sound lol

Today ill be making me seat adaptor plaes and finishing off my cage and starting on my strut brace

More goodies arrived today. My subaru to LS adaptor plate. Custom fly wheel and i finished welding up my cage.

Last edited by JIM DRAGTEAM; 08-19-2017 at 08:22 AM..
Old 10-03-2016, 05:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
ALEX P

Garage
Hey MrRPJ

Looks like a good fun project. I'm assuming you've seen this thread:

Subaru transmission in place of a 915

I really like the look of the Subarugears products and have had some email traffic with Todd (who has been very helpful) so will be watching this with a lot of interest to see how you get on with drive shafts, slave cylinders, pedals etc and the impreza box. Any reason you didn't go balls for the 6 speed 'box? I know they're a fair bit more $$$ to buy but it really does make for a more compelling argument for going with a non-native solution to the 915 (for me anyway).

Good luck & lots of photos please
Old 10-04-2016, 01:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Hey Alex

No I have not seen that one so ill be reading it with interest.

Yeah Todd helped me lot with everything. My Box arrived yesterday it looks amazeballs. He went all out for me with the best of everything. 108 shafts, Brand new gear set, Double syncros, Billet sight glass, Cast housing and Torsen LSD. Drive shafts will be easy as I got it fitted with fixed 930 outputs. As for the slave I went with a pull type so it away from the motor and pedals ill use a g50 set or aftermarket pedal box. They dont do a reversed 6 speed in a turbo only a 5 so I went with that. Plus I had my gated 5 speed shifter I wanted to use lol

Last edited by JIM DRAGTEAM; 08-19-2017 at 08:19 AM..
Old 10-04-2016, 05:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Porsche made a car with exposed shift linkages:

Good luck with the project!

Last edited by FrenchToast; 10-04-2016 at 06:19 PM..
Old 10-04-2016, 06:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Super cool I never paid any attention

Last edited by MrRPJ; 10-04-2016 at 08:01 PM..
Old 10-04-2016, 07:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
I never knew that either and super clean rebuild man!
Old 10-07-2016, 03:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Been a slow week. Got the cage finished and the car stripped and all glass out. I have started the long task of sanding!

Last edited by JIM DRAGTEAM; 08-19-2017 at 08:20 AM..
Old 10-16-2016, 04:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Right now Im no Home Built By Jeff, As I ldont have enough time to get stuff done But for those interested to follow on

Youtube Series is here Subscribe!!! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1l0u9ATOfq4
Old 10-17-2016, 06:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
I would rather be driving

Does your Suby transaxle have a reversed CWP?

Do you have a source for the 930 108mm flanges that fit the output splines on the Suby transaxle?
classicautowerks.com - EFI conversion parts
Old 10-17-2016, 07:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Yes it has an oversize CWP with larger bearings,Doube syncros on 1,2,3 a new gearset and a torsen LSD I ordered it with the 930 outputs to make it less hassle
Old 10-17-2016, 09:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
That should kill you most riki tic....
Old 10-17-2016, 11:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Hahah hopefully it doesnt. Maybe ill ad some extra safety
Old 10-18-2016, 04:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]
Eng-o-neer

From what I could discern, Subaru Gears did the conversion of the transmission and is the source for a lot of these parts. I believe MrRPJ is referring these "Subaflanges", listed somewhat cryptically on the Pricing page:

Subarugears

There are many people interested in getting a Subie box in place of their 915. Specific details about the parts going on the car and the work performed to get them there will be greatly appreciated.

Are you using Renegade Hybrids parts to get the LS in the car or what?
Old 10-18-2016, 05:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Couldn't you use the stock suby stub axles at one end and the Porsche ones at the other get custom axles from sway away made with a mix of custom spline counts?
Old 10-18-2016, 06:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

I thought about that but 930 axles was a cheaper easier option and less mess if i have to drop the motor a few times. If you subscribe to me on youtube you will see first hand how I do the suby swap and hopefully it will help out anyone wanting to do it.

I thought about that Wayner but the cost of that here in australia was going to cost me 2k just for axles. i have 100s on the car and 108s on the box i was just going to run stock 930s with the patric motor sport 100-108 adapotrs
Old 10-18-2016, 06:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRPJ View Post

I just picked up my gated shifter for that chink sound lol

Where did you find this gated shifter?
Old 10-19-2016, 10:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by carwash View Post
Where did you find this gated shifter?
i pulled it out of my newly acquired track car, it has maranello motorsports on the side, a melbourne based joint i believe.

subaru box conversion will be of interest to a lot of track guys with 3.6's i reckon, G50's are not worth the cash being asked
Old 10-19-2016, 04:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Haha Hey Sam. Correct the shifter was from a mate.

As for the box there was no way i was dropping 15k for g50 set up. So ill be everyones guinea pig lol

From what I could find the shifter was made by Wevo but is now discontinued.

Last edited by MrRPJ; 10-19-2016 at 05:17 PM..
Old 10-19-2016, 05:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
Eng-o-neer

You may have seen this, but here's the build thread of the guy who did the longhood 912:

'68 Porsche 912 conversion - 2005 STi EJ207 - NASIOC

He had to cut a lot of the crossmember out, but he told me it was because of the STi motor, not the transmission. Since the LS fits without cutting, I suspect you might get away with less work and less modification of the chassis.
Old 10-20-2016, 06:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

I had a few emails with the guy at Subaru gears. First of all, check out their website. It has pricing information as well as some youtube videos of the differences between various subaru transmissions.

As for more specific details, the cost is about $4500 for a 5 speed (non-LSD). This cost includes opening up the transmission, cleaning it, inspecting it, and replacing parts to bring it to factory spec. Add $1200 for an LSD. Add $1000 for a custom flywheel to mate the transmission to our motors. I think he said the 5 speed is a transmission is out of an STi. The 5 speed can be fitted with a cable clutch style fork, cable clutch, and bowden tube to avoid installing hydraulics and master/slave cylinders but he says going through all that work, it's probably worth going to hydraulics.

You can also get a 6 speed transmission for the same cost but it is out of an WRX, not an STi. Gear 5 and 6 are both over drives so he made it sound like the 6 speed is not going to provide much of a benefit over the 5 speed. I'm assuming the 6th gear would provide a benefit if you swapped out the gears which is another additional cost.

In the end, I asked for more specifics on the master/slave cylinders and other parts I need to convert to hydraulics but they said they don't handle that aspect. That's when I lost interest because we're looking at about $6700 + costs for the hydraulic parts which will probably be another grand or so and many hour of research, custom fabrication, etc. to do the a subaru transmission conversion. I can probably get my 915 rebuilt with an LSD and upgraded side plate, retainer plate, etc. for less.
Old 10-20-2016, 08:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: