Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche Engine Conversion Tech Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Best engine to transplant in 911 ( subaru)

Hey guys, first time poster ( I think)

I was curious what was the best engine to transplant in an old 911
I am in not interested in V-8's, more interested in Subaru 4cyclinder turbo or a 6

The Porsche I have is a 1971 911 T. It has the original engine in it but would need to gone through. I'm against doing this and still may do it.

My car is in rough shape and it needs everything gone through, not just the engine

I will have to take this car completely apart and put it back together again, so its not just going to be an engine swap

Also can you use the Subaru trans or stick with the factory Porsche 4 speed?

I saw a swap somewhere with a Subaru six , but the oil pan was really close to the ground, didn't know if all Subaru's did that or just this one engine, I think it was a E36

I appreciate any info
Thank You
Old 03-20-2017, 03:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
With the prices of air-cooled 911s still going up and retaining a high value, unless you have the space to pull the original motor and keep it, I wouldn't do an engine swap. The best candidate cars for a swap are missing an engine already or minor body damage. Engine swaps don't increase the value of the car and steer a lot of buyers away from it.

You can use the Subaru trans., there's a company based in Australia that makes a kit that flips the diff. Do a search in this forum, there's plenty of examples of how engine swaps a done. The consensus is the cost (ironically) is about the same of doing an engine swap (plumbing, adapter kit, fab. work, etc.) as a stock rebuild.
Old 03-31-2017, 01:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
83 911 Production Cab #10

Garage
I think a 3.6 could fit

83 911 Production Cab #10, Slightly Modified: Slanted, 3.2, PMO EFI, TECgt, CE 911 CAM Sync / Pulley / Wires, SSI, Dansk Sport 2/2, 17" Euromeister, CKO GT3 Seats, Going SOK Super Charger
Old 03-31-2017, 03:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

You can get aftermarket oil pans for Subaru engines that add about 2" more ground clearance, they are usually marketed to the VW van/bus guys that swap Subaru engines into their "offroaders"
Old 04-05-2017, 12:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by v2rocket_aka944 View Post
You can get aftermarket oil pans for Subaru engines that add about 2" more ground clearance, they are usually marketed to the VW van/bus guys that swap Subaru engines into their "offroaders"
Thanks V2 Rocket for your thoughts, i did not know they made after market oil pans for the Suby.
Old 04-08-2017, 01:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Eng-o-neer

Lots of info here and it threads linked therein:

Subaru transmission in place of a 915

On a longhood like yours, spending $20k to rebuild the original motor will provide you with greater value than spending $10k to get a perfect Subie engine in. Might make more sense financially to start with an unoriginal car.

That said, if you're building it to drive for the rest of your life, I think the modern STi motor is superior to anything Porsche put out in the 20th century...Certainly the gearboxes are better than the 915, and the aftermarket for Subaru stuff is massive.
Old 04-09-2017, 12:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: