Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Classified Ads > Porsche Marketplace Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Trying to buy a porsche 964, help with value please

hi, i've been a lurker and trying to understand 964 value, i am looking to buy a manual, don't care much if C2 or C4, but values are all over the map. I just saw a white one on the fs forums with 157k miles for $65,000 and there is a C4 with 58k miles for $59,000 on another site, both cars have engine rebuilds. Then i went to search for Targas , i like the targa a lot and found one on ebay for $120,000 and another one online for $85,000 with 68k miles on it

is it me or are these prices out of touch? i thought these cars were in the 40's 50's , can someone shed light on the values for these cars please
Old 06-19-2018, 03:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

yes, absolutely out of touch! I sold my 1990 C2 coupe with 96K miles for $35.5 K last spring. It had a top end rebuilt at 88k miles. The buyer put about $6k into it and flipped it for $52k. I probably undersold the thing, but honestly, I don't get the hype. It's a heavy car, not especially fast, and I personally I don't care for the looks. I just bought a 993 manual coupe. It's so much faster, better looking, and better handling. If you have to have a G body car, get a 3.2 with the g50 tranny. It's a lighter, better looking, and more visceral feeling compared to a 964.
Old 06-19-2018, 09:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansas View Post
yes, absolutely out of touch! I sold my 1990 C2 coupe with 96K miles for $35.5 K last spring. It had a top end rebuilt at 88k miles. The buyer put about $6k into it and flipped it for $52k. I probably undersold the thing, but honestly, I don't get the hype. It's a heavy car, not especially fast, and I personally I don't care for the looks. I just bought a 993 manual coupe. It's so much faster, better looking, and better handling. If you have to have a G body car, get a 3.2 with the g50 tranny. It's a lighter, better looking, and more visceral feeling compared to a 964.
that is how i feel, this guy on the for sale section wants almost $70,000 for a 160,000 mile car, i think maybe people are crazy. I think 964 is best looking 911 but thats my opinion, but don't understand prices
Old 06-19-2018, 09:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stutt911 View Post
hi, i've been a lurker and trying to understand 964 value, i am looking to buy a manual, don't care much if C2 or C4, but values are all over the map. I just saw a white one on the fs forums with 157k miles for $65,000 and there is a C4 with 58k miles for $59,000 on another site, both cars have engine rebuilds. Then i went to search for Targas , i like the targa a lot and found one on ebay for $120,000 and another one online for $85,000 with 68k miles on it

is it me or are these prices out of touch? i thought these cars were in the 40's 50's , can someone shed light on the values for these cars please
$40s and $50s will get you a nice cab. Nice C4 coupes start in the $50s. The sorted C2 Coupes are $60k and up these days. Targas are not too far behind the coupes. It's all about condition. Not too many good ones out there. Also a huge demand in the aftermarket/tuner world hasn't helped. I've heard of multiple 90k-100k figure C2 coupe 5spd purchases in the last year. The good ones get swooped up super fast. Lots of turds on the market with stupid asking prices. The 964 was considered the red headed stepchild in the 911 lineup for a long time. Now they are the hottest P Cars.
Old 06-19-2018, 10:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
I mentioned it in another post that my buddy sold 5 x 964 C2s manual, lower mileage, non-sunroofs to one buyer for $500k. It was for investment purposes and the buyer is no one new to porsches
Old 06-19-2018, 10:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanbs View Post
I mentioned it in another post that my buddy sold 5 x 964 C2s manual, lower mileage, non-sunroofs to one buyer for $500k. It was for investment purposes and the buyer is no one new to porsches
Your buddy had 5 964 to sell, wow, I just want 1 and can’t find haha
Old 06-20-2018, 06:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
I sold my 94 964 C2 towards the end of winter of this year for $68k, had 90k on the odometer, blk/blk colour comb. I was told I could have gotten more but considering I only paid $26k for her in 06 I was happy with what I got.
Old 06-20-2018, 08:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Here you go bud. Looks to be a good one. On the market for 2 hrs. Wouldn't be surprised if he has a list of buyers lined up at that price already.

https://rennlist.com/forums/vehicle-marketplace/1076909-fs-norcal-1990-964-carrera-2-baltic-blue-5-spd-59k-miles.html
Old 06-22-2018, 05:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Quote:
I probably undersold the thing, but honestly, I don't get the hype. It's a heavy car, not especially fast, and I personally I don't care for the looks. I just bought a 993 manual coupe. It's so much faster, better looking, and better handling. If you have to have a G body car, get a 3.2 with the g50 tranny. It's a lighter, better looking, and more visceral feeling compared to a 964.
Finally, words of wisdom on the 964 from someone who sold and realized that it was a test bed for the 993.
Old 06-22-2018, 06:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
A Secret Place

Quote:
Originally Posted by stutt911 View Post
I think 964 is best looking 911 but thats my opinion, but don't understand prices
I couldn't agree more...here was mine, a 1994 that I owned for four years before I was run off the road. I miss it everyday.

Best of luck in your search.

Kitchen clean.
Old 06-23-2018, 07:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Quote:
Originally Posted by specialtyoneinc View Post
Here you go bud. Looks to be a good one. On the market for 2 hrs. Wouldn't be surprised if he has a list of buyers lined up at that price already.

https://rennlist.com/forums/vehicle-marketplace/1076909-fs-norcal-1990-964-carrera-2-baltic-blue-5-spd-59k-miles.html
Nice color too
Old 06-23-2018, 09:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Quote:
There are a ton of people that feel the opposite with the looks. It still looks a lot like and is often mistaken for an “OG” 911 but has hints of modern styling. These decisions are being made without ever even driving one. It’s all about the looks to many many people
Old 06-23-2018, 09:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
A Secret Place

Quote:
There are a ton of people that feel the opposite with the looks. It still looks a lot like and is often mistaken for an “OG” 911 but has hints of modern styling. These decisions are being made without ever even driving one. It’s all about the looks to many many people
Looks are subjective and the opinions of others matter little to me when "looks" are discussed. I am also a Targa guy. After I bought my first Targa the only coupe I have owned was a 356...again, subjective and what I like.

I have owned multiple Porsche's spanning every decade from the early 1960's to the 1990's.

Nothing after the 964 appeals to me. But that's me, ymmv and that is the way it should be.

BTW, no normally aspirated 911 from the 964 and earlier is fast. My 82 Targa is slow, folks. Fun to drive slow, but slow.

To the OP - prices for 964 Targas reflect the fact that they did not import many...and the fact that they are drop dead gorgeous.

Kitchen clean.

Last edited by Seahawk; 06-23-2018 at 09:56 AM..
Old 06-23-2018, 09:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Nice color too
Sold in less than a day. Buyer said he had 12 PMs after a couple of hours. C2 Coupes just keep getting hotter.
Old 06-23-2018, 03:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by specialtyoneinc View Post
Sold in less than a day. Buyer said he had 12 PMs after a couple of hours. C2 Coupes just keep getting hotter.
So the 964 C2 coupe market seems to be similar to the real estate market in some parts of the country. It helps to have a more desirable color like that one as well.
Old 06-23-2018, 03:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

I can't believe some of the prices here either.
I have a '92 I purchased in 2003, top end at 99k, now 150k, was in Arizona and California, I brought it to Florida in 2015.
Runs and looks very good, thinking about something more comfortable for this climate.
Can't put a price on it and go to water cooled not sure , the air cooled cars are fantastic.
Picture for reference.
Old 06-30-2018, 05:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Garage
Here is what appears to be a very clean C2 Targa that in my opinion is reasonably priced. Wouldn’t be surprised if it’s already sold by now despite only recently being posted on CL.
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/cto/d/for-sale-collectible-porsche/6625711911.html
1970 914-6 #2615 (Metallic Green)
1974 911 US Carrera Coupe #63 (Lime Green)
1973 911 T Coupe #1891 (Gemini Blue)
Old 07-01-2018, 07:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Garage
Is Singer Responsible For State Of The 964 Market? | FLATSIXES

further, it has seemed over the years that whatever 911-type is undervalued becomes “discovered” & then overvalued. sometimes that segment plateaus & sometimes it retrenches (depending on external economic cycle). anyway, saw a recent article that 993s have flattened & are worth reconsideration. more were made, too. sure, they’re complex, but that’s modernity for ya.

Seahawk, while I concur w/ you in general about comparing quantitative perf of old & new 911s, I’d encourage all of us to delineate fast/speed from acceleration & dynamics. an old 911S would hit 140-150, a 964, a touch over 160. now, accel (quickness, as opposed to speed) is a different matter & we know how much quicker they are today, lopping off a few seconds in 0-60 times (& aren’t transient acel times more meaningful than stoplight drag-times?). many of us who’ve owned & enjoyed these cars for decades know what we really like about ‘em ... “dynamic oneness”, from tire patch to brain stem. I have no issues mixing it up w/ new sports cars on fun/empty country roads ... w/ an ‘87. sure, it doesn’t hit 175 & takes an extra moment to close a gap. it’s also lighter & more demanding of “skill & feel” in such real-world scenarios. anyway, I think we know all that, yet I suggest to those who go back to 356 days (when new!) to be thoughtful about how we critique & compare the attributes of those slow old Porsches. there’s a whole generation (or 2!) that haven’t direct acess to that experience when they are contemplating their first olden 911. cheers (& good luck w/ finding a deal on a decent 964, kids).

Last edited by drauz; 07-01-2018 at 08:50 AM..
Old 07-01-2018, 08:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

I don’t think singer has much to do with it, I’ve driven a couple of them and they are just the perfect 911, not sure what I was doing wasting my time with Gbody cars. I was offered an amazon green but just can’t bring myself to love that color, so still looking
Old 07-10-2018, 12:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Garage
One of the better 911s I’ve driven in recent years was a lo miles dk blue w/ grey 964 that had a great history & fine attention to susp settings, speedlines, drove beautifully... very tight & quiet. a simple rwd coupe. Kinda rare. Sold quickly even 5 yrs ago.

I think it isn’t Singer snapping up supply, but its influence on the emotional state of 911 buyers. It isn’t like anyone’s buying them as daily transport. I think some focus on the idea of owning “the 911 that Singers are made from”... even dreaming of creating their own personal variant (at a fraction of the price - easy!) someday.

the 964 was a transition car in many ways ... 3.6 & Weissach rear susp. It also gave us 4WD, ps, tip & functional ac... hmmm.

I bet you’ll find what you’re looking-for, as long as you are both patient & ready to jump at a moment’s lust.
Old 07-10-2018, 06:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: