Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Classified Ads > Porsche Marketplace Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

1989 Carrera (911) coupe valuation

Helping a friend put a value on his car that I will be listing soon. 1989 sunroof coupe, less than 40K original miles, all original Slate gray metallic paint, linen interior with sport seats and factory front and rear spoilers. Factory short shifter and sport steering wheel. Car is pretty much perfect. Canadian car with Km speedo.

Thanks, JD
Old 07-05-2018, 04:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

a double double and a 24 pack of timbits
Old 07-05-2018, 04:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

45k without rebuilt engine and tranny. 65k with rebuild.

All goes to pot if any rust is present
Old 07-05-2018, 05:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

‘89 Carrera Coupe

This car sounds really nice. If it has never been wrecked, with original paint and documented low miles (really perfect?), I would value it quite high. Metallic slate grey with linen interior is a nice color combo, maybe $5k over the more common colors (mainly red and white, to a lesser degree black). Make sure it has 9” rear Fuchs. The options are nice as well. Being the last year of the classic G series adds a bit of sentimental value as well.

While many 3.2’s are known to need their valve guides replaced somewhat early, they still have the very stout bottom end and no bearing problems (with proper maintenance of course). This car is worth enough money that I feel the owner should pay for a proper PPI to confirm the engine’s health (this will help sell the car quickly if all is well). The G50 should be in good condition with that few miles.

I could find very few normal Carrera coupes currently for sale, but it was shocking how many were red, white and black. Out of 50 to 60 1989 cars (most were convertibles, targas, or turbos) only a few were silver, one was blue, and one was slate metallic grey.

With a clean engine bill of health a U.S. spec “classic” Carrera (not a 964) as described should be in the $75k to $85k range. I don’t know the impact of being a Canadian model, so my estimate is for a U.S. spec car.
Old 07-05-2018, 06:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Easily $70k + if "pretty much perfect". Auto Kennel has a real nice ROW car at $105k ask. Doubt they will take anything under $90k.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1989-Porsche-911-G50-ROW-Euro-Carrera-No-Sunroof/283018809458?hash=item41e53c5072:gPgAAOSwf5BbK~U H&vxp=mtr
Old 07-05-2018, 07:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
“Make sure it has 9” rear Fuchs“
not sure why ... 8s were standard, clear the fender lips fine (usually), & offer less rotating mass & drag than 9s shod w/ 245s. anyway, wheels are like shoes... you can change ‘em easily enough.
Sounds like a very nice car, perhaps a BAT car.
Old 07-05-2018, 08:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

1989s came standard with 16 by 6" and 8" inch fuchs. Never heard to 9" on Carrera.
Old 07-05-2018, 08:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Thanks everybody. Pretty much in line with my thinking. I'll consult with my friend over the weekend and post next week sometime. If anybody has a serious interest email me directly at jd@dren.ca. I do have a recent appraisal from a highly knowledgeable Porsche appraiser.

Thanks, Joe
Old 07-06-2018, 03:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Hi Joe, Mike from Niagara. Who did the appraisal and what was his opinion of value?
Old 07-06-2018, 05:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

[QUOTE=specialtyoneinc;10097753]1989s came standard with 16 by 6" and 8" inch fuchs. Never heard to 9" on Carrera.[/QUOTE

Oops, I meant 8” rear Fuchs on normal ‘89 Carreras, the 9” were on the Turbo/M491. I think it was a little something extra (versus 7” rear Fuchs in earlier years) for the last of the old chassis cars.

The 8” and 9” Fuchs are getting expensive, which is why I mentioned that. I guess on an $80k car it doesn’t make that much difference - a few extra thousand for the correct rims is not a big deal...

Last edited by G450X; 07-06-2018 at 06:52 AM..
Old 07-06-2018, 06:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Brock911 the car was appraised by Bruce Farrow who I'm sure you know if you are from the area. For those of you who don't know him he is one of the most knowledgeable Porsche guys anywhere and has been doing this since the 70s. He has it appraised at $110K CDN.
I just saw the car and it is spectacular. The slate gray metallic on linen is a really unique and stunning combo. It's currently sitting on 17 in RUF speedlines but he will be installing the original Fuchs which were removed when the car was 2 years old. He has assured me they are as new. He needs to install new tires, any suggestions on the most appropriate tires?
Once the Fuchs are installed I will be posting photos and we will be asking 85K US$. The car has the equivalent of just under 40K miles.
I have plenty of experience with shipping cars to the US and overseas.

Thanks, Joe
Old 07-06-2018, 03:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
There are some really nice G50 cars out there with higher miles that can be had in the $40s-50s. No way I'm paying $70+. That's just me though, I'm sure somewhere there is a buyer.
Old 07-06-2018, 05:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks Joe, yes Bruce is very well-known and respected in southern Ontario. All the best,
Mike.
Old 07-07-2018, 04:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Functionista

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACK3.2 View Post
45k without rebuilt engine and tranny. 65k with rebuild.

All goes to pot if any rust is present
This should be reversed. Most rebuilds are substandard. 40K miles certainly shouldn't require it...
74 911, #3
I do not disbelieve in anything. I start from the premise that everything is true until proved false. Everything is possible.
Old 07-07-2018, 10:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACK3.2 View Post
45k without rebuilt engine and tranny. 65k with rebuild
I don't know why a G50 would need to be rebuilt after 40K mi.
Old 07-07-2018, 11:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Joe,

I am curious about your appraisal. Do they go into mechanical details like a PPI? The reason I ask is because I know that a broken head stud or a wonky compression test can have significant impact on the perceived value of the car when it comes time to sell. I recently had an appraisal done on mine for insurance reasons and they obviously didn't go into those details.
Old 07-07-2018, 11:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Start at 100k and work down
Old 07-07-2018, 06:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Kind of Blue

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by old man neri View Post
I don't know why a G50 would need to be rebuilt after 40K mi.
Or a 3.2.
Old 07-08-2018, 04:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Hey Old man, the appraisal does not include a PPI or engine check. We are happy to work with a buyer to provide this. Just working with seller to get the full history together along with a COA. Hope to get it on a hoist and get some chassis pics as well. Hope to have the Fuchs mounted in the next couple of days and follow up with pics, description etc.
If I wasn't past the garage queen phase I would buy it myself. The owner is very meticulous with all maintenance upkeep.
Old 07-08-2018, 07:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TargaT View Post
Hey Old man, the appraisal does not include a PPI or engine check. We are happy to work with a buyer to provide this. Just working with seller to get the full history together along with a COA. Hope to get it on a hoist and get some chassis pics as well. Hope to have the Fuchs mounted in the next couple of days and follow up with pics, description etc.
If I wasn't past the garage queen phase I would buy it myself. The owner is very meticulous with all maintenance upkeep.
Appraisals never do come with any of those. They are more for insurance purposes if anything. An appraisal is pretty much worth only the paper it is written on, I wouldn’t ever use it as gospel to indicate a car’s true market value. Especially an appraisal ordered and paid for by the seller of the car being appraised, that is definitely not one coming from an unbiased source.
Old 07-08-2018, 08:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: