Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Classified Ads > Porsche Marketplace Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Bat 964

Trying to call it a Hot Rod but it appears to be an xTrack car domesticated.....

What are the collectives feelings.........

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1992-porsche-carrera-2/
Old 07-08-2018, 04:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

A rolling joke show...

To show you how cheesy BaT comments have gotten:

"Crazyas00 7,533

As much as I hate to admit it, REALLY awesome 911! And yes, I would own it , and drive it really fast! What an interesting build. It certainly has all the best pirces and parts. The engine and exhaust are fantastic. The suspension is up to the task. A roll cage and Sparco buckets and Schroth harness’. Turn me loose! This is a track wrapon. Travel around the country, and stop at every racetrack along the way. So, yes, A Great Porsche! Enjoy, you won’t hear me say that again."

And back to the car...

You've got to be kidding me. It's an ex-track car for sure. Amazing how Magnus inspired photographs bring big money. Oh well, best of luck and congrats to the winning bidder.
Old 07-08-2018, 05:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Kind of Blue

Garage
I’m sure it’s a blast to drive but frankly it’s pretty ugly.
Old 07-08-2018, 05:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Car sounds the business. Definitely been around a few tracks by the looks of it.
Old 07-08-2018, 07:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

I would love to see pictures from its track days. I am sure it wasn't a little duck on its tail back then...…..
Old 07-09-2018, 03:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
gearhead

So who recently worked on the car? Greg Fordahl or AR Service? They didn’t both just do that engine.
2008 Cayman S Mule
Old 07-09-2018, 05:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1992-porsche-964-c2/

Sold on BAT late last year and that listing should answer the questions about its previous look/life.
Old 07-09-2018, 06:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Monson View Post
So who recently worked on the car? Greg Fordahl or AR Service? They didn’t both just do that engine.
AR Service
Old 07-09-2018, 06:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpsurfer View Post
Sold on BAT late last year and that listing should answer the questions about its previous look/life.
Nice work JP.

This was a typical 964 track star.
Old 07-09-2018, 06:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macroni View Post
Trying to call it a Hot Rod but it appears to be an xTrack car domesticated.....

What are the collectives feelings.........

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1992-porsche-carrera-2/
Its a hotrod. These cars get built at very high cost. They end up sitting in the garage and get little use. They are good for a few joy rides on the street. Decent at the track but in the end realize that the car is hard to drive at the limit without consequences.

The bring a trailer add may be cheesey yes but the car is very well sorted and dialed in .
anyone can put the sum of all the parts together and call it what it is. Not everyone can actually sort it out to make it work. I would guess this car has over $150K in it.
I owned a sister ship of this car in below pics . I kind of wish I still had it at times, but it only held me back from my goal to race with PCA.The amount of times I went off the track backwards without having the time to figure out what happened was an indicator that sooner or later the car was going to end up toast. I ditched it to move forward with a 944.

The thing that gets me is all the hype with cars like this Guntherwerks 993. You would think they are the first people on the planet to make a hotrod 911. WTF? over.
When you look at the car mentioned in the add and even my old car, they are going to top at around at best less than a 996 GT3 or cup car. Say $60 K. They are both factory cars and will out preform these hot rods and are way easier to drive at speeds. How can the guntherwerks be that much better driving for $500K.

Last edited by dsfnctn; 07-09-2018 at 07:31 AM..
Old 07-09-2018, 07:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

How exactly is a well sorted car with handling-specific mods harder to drive at the limit?
Old 07-09-2018, 07:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Turbo Powered Snow Blower

Garage
^^^ My interpretation is you can't get to the limit on the street without consequences. The only way to push a car like this is on-track.
Otherwise you are driving a rough riding, stiff clutch, doesn't want to move from a stop, PITA around town.
Old 07-09-2018, 08:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsfnctn View Post
Its a hotrod.
Could be.... It was definitely a dedicated track car.

I have a hard time calling anything but a Pre-73 a "hot rod" just as it is difficult to call anything but a modified 356 an "outlaw".

My issue is the way the BaT seller is trying to pass the car off.
Old 07-09-2018, 09:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
gearhead

I think the seller's biggest issues is it's a shyte ad. And it's funny that according to the new ad, this car that has only gone 316 mi since it was last sold, has totally changed who put it together. Name dropping Greg Fordahl when Greg did almost nothing with it, as if Chris' German isn't a highly reputable shop. If I was selling this car, I would totally be playing that Chris' built the engine and sorted the tune on it. Strange line of thought here.

That said, this car is the business. It is a hot rod. It's not a track rat nor is it an outlaw. It is a 964 hot rod that I bet is fun either on the track or on back roads. I'd hit it.
2008 Cayman S Mule
Old 07-09-2018, 12:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macroni View Post
My issue is the way the BaT seller is trying to pass the car off.
He completely, utterly is. The way the comments section goes on and on and on about it would make P.T. Barnum proud.

It's a track driven/ridden car, with mods photographed in a Magnus-esque setting - with so many comments from the peanut gallery ending in exclamation points(!!).

From reading those comments I can tell you that most of those people have never, ever driven a 964 - not to mention a 911 on the track. I am somewhat seasoned as far as cars I've driven, but as the comment states above these are tricky cars to drive at speed - and should never, ever be raced on the street. For some people a 911 or 964 is not fun at all to race. They are interesting at speed - and some people don't like it. Others find a happy place in driving them and know their shortcomings both with themselves and with the car. So what are you going to do with this car?

With that said this car is a car that someone either completely loves enough to bid on - or sees right through the smoke and mirrors. The smoke and mirrors being it's a track car and it's an old 964 with a bunch of crap bolted on.

At the end of the day it's whatever people think in their own minds as to the reality of it all.

If you see yourself in an old 911 like this on a track at full speed, the dream is probably better than reality for most people. But the dream is what makes the world go around.
Old 07-09-2018, 12:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Garage
As the photographer on this car I can assure you that I was taking photos before “magnus” was in the scene. As someone that has driven a few of these cars, this is the real deal. Of course the car had been on the track, why wouldn’t it be? It’s a great piece, fun to drive, with tons of $$ spent on it. What’s wrong with that?
Old 07-09-2018, 01:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbfoto View Post
As the photographer on this car I can assure you that I was taking photos before “magnus” was in the scene. As someone that has driven a few of these cars, this is the real deal. Of course the car had been on the track, why wouldn’t it be? It’s a great piece, fun to drive, with tons of $$ spent on it. What’s wrong with that?
Nothing wrong with it. Beautiful photos on all Avant Garde classifieds btw. I think the issue is that the seller doesn't mention anything in the ad that this 964 was a track car in the ad text. Obviously they are trying to hold that info back since it will hurt their selling price. Not very transparent if you ask me. For reference: Oct 2017 BAT ad "The engine has seen approximately 11k miles since it was built, an estimated 8-10k of which were on track."
Old 07-09-2018, 01:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Garage
Actually I helped write the ad, we give BAT the info that we know and they take it from there. There was no attempt to hide anything, obviously people will know this is a car that had been sold on BAT previously. Any questions that were asked were answered, personally a car that was tracked is more than enough for any street flogging. Also, all invoices were included for work performed, if one can read, it’s very clear who did what, and when it was done...
Old 07-09-2018, 01:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbfoto View Post
Actually I helped write the ad, we give BAT the info that we know and they take it from there. There was no attempt to hide anything, obviously people will know this is a car that had been sold on BAT previously. Any questions that were asked were answered, personally a car that was tracked is more than enough for any street flogging. Also, all invoices were included for work performed, if one can read, it’s very clear who did what, and when it was done...
So you did not give BaT the info. As the ad clearly states when the car was originally sold:

"The engine has seen approximately 11k miles since it was built, an estimated 8-10k of which were on track."

I guess this slipped your mind. Interesting.
Old 07-09-2018, 02:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Garage
If you read the included documents it clearly states when and who built the engine. Simple math tells you how many miles have been done since then. If I remember correctly the first ad hadn't bothered to include the documentation.
Old 07-09-2018, 02:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: