Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Classified Ads > Porsche Marketplace Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarwood View Post
The ONLY circumstance I would buy a car sight unseen in via dealer.
And that my friends is how you get taken to the cleaners.
Old 07-24-2018, 03:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)
gearhead

Quote:
Jung,
Are you still considering the 7k mile car?
Obviously if you're shopping a 3 year old car, you understand depreciation already.
Doesn't sound like you're paying any premium for the low miles, so go for it.
CPO and dealer sale will have vetted the specimen to some extent.
Not paying a premium until you pay $2500-3000 for cross country covered transport.
2008 Cayman S Mule
Old 07-24-2018, 03:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

Quote:
You’d consider buying a car unseen from those bastions of honesty - car dealers - but you panic at a repair on a DD. Seems like an odd sense of priorities imo.
Old 07-24-2018, 03:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by trader220 View Post
Most major dealerships have access to it. V Auto, its really a well done system. The fella who put it all together is an interesting guy. Had the pleasure of meeting him and chatting with him at length a couple times.
I got a demo on V Auto, very useful software, but really expensive. Seemed as though it would only pencil out for decent sized dealerships.

Re the founder, I believe he is blind? I only mention this as building a business and being a software developer and industry trend setter is hard enough, I cant imagine the chops you would have to posses doing that with the the challenge of being blind. Ive been told he is a really impressive guy.

David
Old 07-24-2018, 08:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)
Former Options Trader !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Borden View Post
I got a demo on V Auto, very useful software, but really expensive. Seemed as though it would only pencil out for decent sized dealerships.

Re the founder, I believe he is blind? I only mention this as building a business and being a software developer and industry trend setter is hard enough, I cant imagine the chops you would have to posses doing that with the the challenge of being blind. Ive been told he is a really impressive guy.

David
For the most part he's blind. I had the pleasure of sitting and speaking with him on a coupe of occasions. Very interesting conversations.

Agreed, the software is not aimed at the individual, it only works for a dealership on a cost scale.
Old 07-25-2018, 10:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by amg463 View Post
And that my friends is how you get taken to the cleaners.

How do you get taken to the cleaners? There is no mystery in the price of these cars. There are over 70 2014 Cayman S's listed on the internet around the country. That's a sample size that is large enough to give you a pretty good idea on what the price should be. If you're looking for a CPO then you have to buy it from a dealer. Even if that's the case there are more than 25 CPO's on the market so, again, there is no mystery in the price.

Tell us, how do you get taken to the cleaners?
Old 07-25-2018, 10:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Quote:
How do you get taken to the cleaners? There is no mystery in the price of these cars. There are over 70 2014 Cayman S's listed on the internet around the country. That's a sample size that is large enough to give you a pretty good idea on what the price should be. If you're looking for a CPO then you have to buy it from a dealer. Even if that's the case there are more than 25 CPO's on the market so, again, there is no mystery in the price.

Tell us, how do you get taken to the cleaners?
Is the information list/ask price or is it agreed final sales transaction price? Is it only based upon CPO dealer transaction or the overall market for model in question? Further, there can often be differential based upon location and local demand, does the information account for this? yada yada.

Unless a prospective buyer is tracking for months like a hard on looking for the perfect hole, I could definitely see the mystery element for the 'regular' buyer. Unless one was legacied in, we've all been in that position when we made the decision to buy.
Old 07-25-2018, 07:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)

If you're looking for a certain Porsche and CPO is important to you, rather than looking all across the country, you might to go and talk to your local dealer. From what I'm reading here the car you are seeking is not rare, and if you get it through the local dealer you will already have a relationship when it is time for servicing.

---Adam

356 Registry 17369
Early 911S Registry
912 Registry, PCA
Old 07-25-2018, 09:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan A View Post
You’d consider buying a car unseen from those bastions of honesty - car dealers - but you panic at a repair on a DD. Seems like an odd sense of priorities imo.
I've never seen a single late model turd for sale at a dealer. Ever. They generally deal with low mileage mint examples. The rest are wholesaled.
Old 07-25-2018, 10:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esel Mann View Post
Is the information list/ask price or is it agreed final sales transaction price? Is it only based upon CPO dealer transaction or the overall market for model in question? Further, there can often be differential based upon location and local demand, does the information account for this? yada yada.

Unless a prospective buyer is tracking for months like a hard on looking for the perfect hole, I could definitely see the mystery element for the 'regular' buyer. Unless one was legacied in, we've all been in that position when we made the decision to buy.
In 30 minutes or less on a smart phone or any computer you can see just about every cpo and non cpo car in your local market and the national market. Call them up and buy the one you want if it's a cpo vehicle then PORSCHE as in PCNA will stand behind it.

Unless you believe that anything but buying the absolute cheapest one in the country means you got taken then you will easily have enough pricing info to get a fair deal.

There is no mystery in the price of any but the most rare car.

Last edited by trader220; 07-26-2018 at 12:46 PM..
Old 07-26-2018, 07:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)

Quote:
I've never seen a single late model turd for sale at a dealer. Ever. They generally deal with low mileage mint examples. The rest are wholesaled.
Try the larger P tristate dealer over the bridge that’s not on 17. They tried to sell me an off lease PTT that was too rough to CPO. Looked like it had been parked by Braille for 3 years. Interior was beat up too. They wanted a CPO price for a fugly car with issues.

Needless to say I passed...
Old 07-26-2018, 12:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)

Quote:
Try the larger P tristate dealer over the bridge that’s not on 17. They tried to sell me an off lease PTT that was too rough to CPO. Looked like it had been parked by Braille for 3 years. Interior was beat up too. They wanted a CPO price for a fugly car with issues.

Needless to say I passed...

Exactly the point. If its offered as a non CPO and its not a 2009 or older there is a good reason for it. Its expensive to CPO a car. The warranty alone costs the dealer about $2800 bucks and the there is the shop bill.
Old 07-26-2018, 12:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)

It was 3 years old at a Porsche dealer. I was responding to the assertion you can’t find a bad car for retail sale at a dealer, when I was offered one.
Old 07-26-2018, 12:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)

Quote:
It was 3 years old at a Porsche dealer. I was responding to the assertion you can’t find a bad car for retail sale at a dealer, when I was offered one.
Fair enough... I would never say you cannot find a bad car. Stick to the CPO's so that doesn't happen. If its a non CPO make sure you see it.

Last edited by trader220; 07-26-2018 at 01:21 PM..
Old 07-26-2018, 12:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)

:d
Old 07-26-2018, 01:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Fair enough... I would never say you cannot find a bad car. Stick to the CPO's so that doesn't happen. If its a non CPO make sure you see it.
Yup, exactly what I wrote said in the first place.

Quote:
CPO and dealer sale will have vetted the specimen to some extent.
Old 07-27-2018, 08:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)
gearhead

Sugar,
You were taken out of context. CPO AND dealer were your stipulations, not just dealer. I agree with your thinking.
2008 Cayman S Mule
Old 07-27-2018, 09:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)

Garage
That said, I've noticed a trend at BMW dealers where they price cars with accident history at a similar price to a clean Carfax car. Better margins with unsuspecting buyer
Old 07-27-2018, 02:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #38 (permalink)

Quote:
That said, I've noticed a trend at BMW dealers where they price cars with accident history at a similar price to a clean Carfax car. Better margins with unsuspecting buyer

What was your sample size? 10 dealers and 200 cars? 20 dealers and 400 cars?

Or just a couple you think you noticed?

Define "similar" .... the typical $40k dollar used car has 3 or 4 thousand of markup in it. Do you know what they paid for the questionable cars and are you sure there is a lot more margin in them?
Old 07-30-2018, 08:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #39 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: