Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Classified Ads > Porsche Marketplace Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Turbo Powered Snow Blower

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanbs View Post
I assure you that if an agent sold you a policy a judge would order them to pay you. That’s what Errors and Omissions is for
Nope. Riverstonefly is correct. It is your responsibility to read the policy/contract.
There are always coverage exclusions and you need to make sure that you agree with those exclusions before signing and paying for the insurance.
Old 08-10-2018, 08:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #101 (permalink)
THE REDNECK MEXICAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1979-930 View Post
Nope. Riverstonefly is correct. It is your responsibility to read the policy/contract.
There are always coverage exclusions and you need to make sure that you agree with those exclusions before signing and paying for the insurance.
Yes sir

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
Old 08-10-2018, 10:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #102 (permalink)
I have successfully sued an insurance agent for not properly covering my needs as presented to them. I have yet to see fine print that says "we do not cover a salvaged title car." I'm not saying it doesn't exist but if it does I would like to see it. Remember that would only apply if by some idiotic mistake your agent sold you a policy that clearly spells out that a salvaged titled car is not covered and you had a loss that was your fault. Then yes the insurer can legitimately deny the claim based on the policy language. My first visit would be the agent and hopefully you have proof that you disclosed it was a salvage title vehicle.
Old 08-10-2018, 11:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #103 (permalink)

Garage
^^^ Did they have to pay your legal and other costs of the suit ?

Got another question to throw out here, anyone gotten a claim denied by the insurance company using the "pleasure driving" restriction ? Commuting is the obvious one. Anything else, it's not as clear cut.

Last edited by pmax; 08-10-2018 at 11:28 AM..
Old 08-10-2018, 11:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #104 (permalink)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmax View Post
^^^ Did they have to pay your legal and other costs of the suit ?

Got another question to throw out here, anyone gotten a claim denied by the insurance company using the "pleasure driving" restriction ? Commuting is the obvious one. Anything else, it's not as clear cut.
fortunately it was under $10,000 so it was small claims. No real costs besides filing fees.
Old 08-10-2018, 12:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #105 (permalink)
THE REDNECK MEXICAN

Quote:
I have successfully sued an insurance agent for not properly covering my needs as presented to them. I have yet to see fine print that says "we do not cover a salvaged title car." I'm not saying it doesn't exist but if it does I would like to see it. Remember that would only apply if by some idiotic mistake your agent sold you a policy that clearly spells out that a salvaged titled car is not covered and you had a loss that was your fault. Then yes the insurer can legitimately deny the claim based on the policy language. My first visit would be the agent and hopefully you have proof that you disclosed it was a salvage title vehicle.
ok but what wasn't covered? Was it a salvaged vehicle? Suing an agent versus suing an insurance company is an entirely different thing. Some state's require agents to be license and bonded individually to protect the company from lawsuits. I'm actually surprised you were able to survive litigation lol because a large insurance company would tie things up in litigation for possibly years and most couldn't afford it.

Being in the automotive industry for the past 25 years I've been to court when things just couldn't be worked out civilly and in every case it's always boiled down to a few things

"Sir are these your signatures"

"Did you read your contract"

Case dismissed!

Last edited by riverstonefly; 08-10-2018 at 12:42 PM..
Old 08-10-2018, 12:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #106 (permalink)

A little off topic but I once had an insurance company refuse to pay for a part taken off my car because it was aftermarket, except the agent had photographed the car when I first insured it and said, "Everything was covered"
I argued, they cut me a check. Then raised my rates almost enough to cover the check, the house always wins with the insurance companies.

---Adam

356 Registry 17369
Early 911S Registry
912 Registry, PCA
Old 08-10-2018, 12:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #107 (permalink)
Quote:
Originally Posted by riverstonefly View Post
ok but what wasn't covered? Was it a salvaged vehicle? Suing an agent versus suing an insurance company is an entirely different thing. Some state's require agents to be license and bonded individually to protect the company from lawsuits. I'm actually surprised you were able to survive litigation lol because a large insurance company would tie things up in litigation for possibly years and most couldn't afford it.

Being in the automotive industry for the past 25 years if been to court when things just couldn't be worked out civilly and in every case it's always boiled down to a few things

"Sir are these your signatures"

"Did you read your contract"

Case dismissed!

It was on a total loss of a non-salvaged car. I had filled out all of the paperwork and watched the agent fax the documents over to add $5000 of additional endorsements for "aftermarket upgrades". Come total loss time, no endorsement on the policy. Judge could tell I was being sincere and honest and despite not paying additional premium and it not being anywhere in writing he ruled in my favor. Lucky I suppose. I have accompanied many a customer to court versus at fault driver with their insurance attorney present or against their own insurance company, attorney present and have a very good track record. There is rarely something in the policy that spells out allowing for an insurer to rip someone off. With that said I have been present on some cases that were very poorly prepared and not very well thought out that lost on policy language technicalities. Insurance companies are crooks and as you say they "deny", they also delay and defend til the cows come home but doesnt make them right.

Last edited by nathanbs; 08-10-2018 at 02:02 PM..
Old 08-10-2018, 01:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #108 (permalink)

Garage
Insurance.
You get what you pay for
TANSTAAFL

Dirt cheap insurance is great until you make a claim
Old 08-10-2018, 02:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #109 (permalink)
THE REDNECK MEXICAN

Quote:
It was on a total loss of a non-salvaged car. I had filled out all of the paperwork and watched the agent fax the documents over to add $5000 of additional endorsements for "aftermarket upgrades". Come total loss time, no endorsement on the policy. Judge could tell I was being sincere and honest and despite not paying additional premium and it not being anywhere in writing he ruled in my favor. Lucky I suppose. I have accompanied many a customer to court versus at fault driver with their insurance attorney present or against their own insurance company, attorney present and have a very good track record. There is rarely something in the policy that spells out allowing for an insurer to rip someone off. With that said I have been present on some cases that were very poorly prepared and not very well thought out that lost on policy language technicalities. Insurance companies are crooks and as you say they "deny", they also delay and defend til the cows come home but doesnt make them right.

Old 08-10-2018, 04:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #110 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarwood View Post
Insurance.
You get what you pay for
TANSTAAFL

Sometimes you have few choices. I was 19, bought a 75 911. My parents went crazy, Allstate told them it would triple their rates, so they said if I wanted to keep the car I had to get my own insurance. I got a lot of laughs, "Yes, I'm 19 and need insurance for a Porsche!!!" Finally found a broker who hooked me up with Integon, which was a PO Box in Omaha. Never had to make a claim, but it was cheap!

---Adam

356 Registry 17369
Early 911S Registry
912 Registry, PCA
Old 08-11-2018, 06:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #111 (permalink)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarwood View Post
Insurance.
You get what you pay for
TANSTAAFL

I find this is often the case with “good” insurance as well unless we are talking private client group “good”
Old 08-11-2018, 06:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #112 (permalink)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unobtanium-inc View Post
Sometimes you have few choices. I was 19, bought a 75 911. My parents went crazy, Allstate told them it would triple their rates, so they said if I wanted to keep the car I had to get my own insurance. I got a lot of laughs, "Yes, I'm 19 and need insurance for a Porsche!!!" Finally found a broker who hooked me up with Integon, which was a PO Box in Omaha. Never had to make a claim, but it was cheap!

---Adam

What year approx was that?
Old 08-11-2018, 06:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #113 (permalink)

Quote:
What year approx was that?
I was a Sophmore at UGA so it would have been 1994-95.

---Adam

356 Registry 17369
Early 911S Registry
912 Registry, PCA
Old 08-11-2018, 06:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #114 (permalink)
THE REDNECK MEXICAN

Quote:
I was a Sophmore at UGA so it would have been 1994-95.

---Adam
I actually did the same thing at your age,
bought my 1st 911 at 20 years old.

Old 08-11-2018, 06:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #115 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by riverstonefly View Post
I actually did the same thing at your age,
bought my 1st 911 at 20 years old.

With some of us, the disease takes hold early.

---Adam

356 Registry 17369
Early 911S Registry
912 Registry, PCA
Old 08-11-2018, 07:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #116 (permalink)
THE REDNECK MEXICAN

Quote:

---Adam
Yes sir

Old 08-11-2018, 07:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #117 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:

---Adam
My first was 1971. I too was 19 at the time.
(I don't list the cars I've sold, because they're gone)
Old 08-11-2018, 08:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #118 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: