Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Classified Ads > Porsche Marketplace Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Silver no less. That thing is sweet. The only thing I can see from the limited photographs is possibly corrosion? next to the driver's side seat rail.

Before numbers are thrown out there and people get excited, I was do a very thorough check for rust under the floorpan bitumen and all the usual areas. Shouldn't take more than a couple hours - then for crying out loud rescue that thing and give it a pro detail to see where you stand.

I agree with Matt - that thing is probably going to crank over.
Old 08-06-2018, 11:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)
USAF VET

Garage
Spit, polish and drive as is if no major structural rust.

MattR
Old 08-06-2018, 11:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

Garage
too bad it no longer has its MFI components.
1970 914-6 #2615 (Metallic Green)
1974 911 US Carrera Coupe #63 (Lime Green)
1973 911 T Coupe #1891 (Gemini Blue)
Old 08-06-2018, 01:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

Garage
I does look like a survivor. $30K would be well bought, but if a quick flip would yield $40-45, that doesn't sound like a fair widow price to me. Move quickly. The word is out.
(I don't list the cars I've sold, because they're gone)
Old 08-06-2018, 01:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevesc_us View Post
too bad it no longer has its MFI components.
More likely a Euro spec car. 72 they still had Webers.
2008 Cayman S Mule
Old 08-06-2018, 02:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

Garage
If not rusted that car would sell in a heartbeat for 30k here.
So if you could buy it for that, your doing well and the widow does not have to fool with it.
Any lower than that and you are awful close to "taking advantage of a widow" territory and you would be playing with yourself to think other wise.
Old 08-06-2018, 02:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYNick View Post
I does look like a survivor. $30K would be well bought, but if a quick flip would yield $40-45, that doesn't sound like a fair widow price to me. Move quickly. The word is out.
$25K to 30K would be a fair widow price IF it's going to a family member or enthusiast or someone who will keep the spirit alive. If to BHCC or some a$$clown, add $15K to $30K with extreme prejudice.
Old 08-06-2018, 02:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)

The more concerned you get about making it right for the widow, the more disservice you’re doing to yourself. Bottom line is, it sounds like you really don’t know what kind of condition the car is in because it hasn’t been properly inspected. If someone, anyone, wants to sell a car without putting any effort into it at all, that’s been forgotten about and is sitting in a garage under layers of dust for the past 3 years without so much as being started...news alert...THEY AREN'T GETTING MARKET VALUE FOR IT, even if they’re a lovable old widow.

With all of the stress you are putting on making sure the widow is treated fairly, it seems like you’re too close to this seller to be the buyer. Either you’re going to over pay for it due to that, and then find something major wrong with it after you own it which makes it a loser for you, OR, you’ll under pay for it if it turns out it just needed some new fluids and a good detail, in which case you’ll always feel guilty about it.

My advice, either walk away from this deal altogether, or completely separate the emotion from it and handle it like any other transaction. The latter is how this gets sold fairly to both parties, then there aren’t any hard feelings on either side. Inspect the car thoroughly, take all of the emotion out of it, and make her your best offer.

That’s my two cents for what it’s worth.
Old 08-06-2018, 03:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

Looks similar to one I pulled a few weeks ago, how many silver 72's are there?

---Adam

356 Registry 17369
Early 911S Registry
912 Registry, PCA
Old 08-06-2018, 03:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMS935 View Post
The more concerned you get about making it right for the widow, the more disservice youíre doing to yourself. Bottom line is, it sounds like you really donít know what kind of condition the car is in because it hasnít been properly inspected. If someone, anyone, wants to sell a car without putting any effort into it at all, thatís been forgotten about and is sitting in a garage under layers of dust for the past 3 years without so much as being started...news alert...THEY AREN'T GETTING MARKET VALUE FOR IT, even if theyíre a lovable old widow.

With all of the stress you are putting on making sure the widow is treated fairly, it seems like youíre too close to this seller to be the buyer. Either youíre going to over pay for it due to that, and then find something major wrong with it after you own it which makes it a loser for you, OR, youíll under pay for it if it turns out it just needed some new fluids and a good detail, in which case youíll always feel guilty about it.

My advice, either walk away from this deal altogether, or completely separate the emotion from it and handle it like any other transaction. The latter is how this gets sold fairly to both parties, then there arenít any hard feelings on either side. Inspect the car thoroughly, take all of the emotion out of it, and make her your best offer.

Thatís my two cents for what itís worth.
Well written.
Old 08-06-2018, 05:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unobtanium-inc View Post
Looks similar to one I pulled a few weeks ago, how many silver 72's are there?

---Adam
Probably 60% were silver. Just a guess.
Old 08-06-2018, 05:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)
USAF VET

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SalParadise View Post
Probably 60% were silver. Just a guess.
Lol.

MattR
Old 08-06-2018, 06:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRM View Post

Sure does not look like a Ď72.... 3 giveaways are the oil filler neck inside engine bay and position of oil filter, driver side mirror, basket weave on door panels and dash trim if stated to be original to the car.
Old 08-06-2018, 06:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)

In follow up investigation I think it’s a 71.
Old 08-06-2018, 06:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)
gearhead

Now we are at $25k. You lost the 72 bump.
2008 Cayman S Mule
Old 08-06-2018, 07:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by andoni510 View Post
Sure does not look like a Ď72.... 3 giveaways are the oil filler neck inside engine bay and position of oil filter, driver side mirror, basket weave on door panels and dash trim if stated to be original to the car.
Nice catch, yes, it now loses that 72 year advantage.
Still a long hood and IF no rust, a deal at 25 -30K.
Old 08-07-2018, 05:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)

As I mentioned, the car is a long ways from me so I initially got my information second hand. I'm getting better, but not definitive information now. As someone pointed out, the person who knew everything about the car isn't here to tell us about it. I think it is a 71. I am almost sure it is not a 73 and it does not appear to be a 72 from the photos. I will report as I receive additional information.
Old 08-07-2018, 06:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)

Personally, I would (almost) never buy a vintage car from Minnesota. Unless it was driven only on dry days and garaged every winter, it's going to have rust. It's just a matter of degree as to how much rust. And rust repairs on these cars are expen$ive.

If you don't do at least a cursory chassis inspection, you are playing Russian Roulette.
Old 08-07-2018, 07:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #38 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRM View Post
As I mentioned, the car is a long ways from me so I initially got my information second hand. I'm getting better, but not definitive information now. As someone pointed out, the person who knew everything about the car isn't here to tell us about it. I think it is a 71. I am almost sure it is not a 73 and it does not appear to be a 72 from the photos. I will report as I receive additional information.
You've should have already been well on your way with the cash case.

Old 08-07-2018, 07:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #39 (permalink)

Oh, I see it's from Pennsylvania, not Minnesota.

Same answer re: rust.
Old 08-07-2018, 07:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #40 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: