Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Classified Ads > Porsche Marketplace Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACK3.2 View Post
Oh that's too bad. When I bought my 87 Carrera, it was everything I'd dreamed and more. The 930 was meh. Really surprised me, actually.

What was it about the NSX you didn't like? How does it compare to the Carrera?
Wow!
I have a 964 and debating between a 930 and a 997 GT3 to add to the stable! From reading these comments the 930s are all show-no go! And I am a no-show type of guy!

NSX was plain boring to drive. In comparison my S2000 made me kiss the top at the end of every trackday - or made me feel like Senna whenever there were 2 drops on the ground!

Another good fun car was the Mitsubishi Evolution.
Old 08-13-2018, 01:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Ugh, the 996 turbo is another example. No, I would not like to drive a very fast vacuum cleaner, no matter how cheap it's gotten.
I was just saying that BAT is a good indicator on 996TT pricing since they have so many example pop up. Not the biggest fan of the 996TT drive either
Old 08-13-2018, 01:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by specialtyoneinc View Post
I was just saying that BAT is a good indicator on 996TT pricing since they have so many example pop up. Not the biggest fan of the 996TT drive either
Agree with both of you. Had a very good deal fall local but the car just seems so boring to drive...
Old 08-13-2018, 01:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hda View Post
Wow!
I have a 964 and debating between a 930 and a 997 GT3 to add to the stable! From reading these comments the 930s are all show-no go! And I am a no-show type of guy!

NSX was plain boring to drive. In comparison my S2000 made me kiss the top at the end of every trackday - or made me feel like Senna whenever there were 2 drops on the ground!

Stock examples are not that exciting to drive in the twistys due to the long gearing and turbo lag. You should go test drive one. Mods will really transform the car and I feel like if you're buying the car as a driver, find one that is properly modified - doesn't have to be a fire breathing 500hp beast btw. The 997 GT3 is a complete different animal. Modern race car for the street. I'm a big fan but apples and oranges.

Last edited by specialtyoneinc; 08-13-2018 at 01:17 PM..
Old 08-13-2018, 01:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)
Former Options Trader !!!

Quote:
Wow!

When I wrecked my Ducati ST4S which I loved and had put a ton of work into I picked up a BMW R1200S. I wanted another sport touring bike and I read a lot about the R12S, I also loved the design. I bought a very nice example. I never bonded with that bike, 18 months later I sold it. I replaced it with an Aprilia Tuono and never looked back.

I miss my old 930, its been gone a long time but truth be told I didn't find it as engaging as a NA 911 or 964. Faster, hell yea, the 930 was a beast but its a different animal and I never bonded with it either.
Old 08-13-2018, 01:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)
gearhead

Quote:
Wow!

You need a 993TT. Splits the difference wonderfully.
2008 Cayman S Mule
Old 08-13-2018, 01:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Monson View Post
You need a 993TT. Splits the difference wonderfully.
Why not a 996 TT ..... huge amount of sports car for not a lot of money
Old 08-13-2018, 01:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by trader220 View Post
Why not a 996 TT ..... huge amount of sports car for not a lot of money
If heís got 997 gt3 money to spend the 993 is a cooler car. 993 is more visceral and still air cooled. 996TT is too much 930 and not enough GT3.
2008 Cayman S Mule
Old 08-13-2018, 01:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

Point well taken Matt with regards to the 993TT.

On the other hand I don't equate a 996TT to a 930 by any means. Apples and oranges. The 996 TT is a beast but not nearly as visceral at the 993TT.
Old 08-13-2018, 02:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by specialtyoneinc View Post
Stock examples are not that exciting to drive in the twistys due to the long gearing and turbo lag. You should go test drive one. Mods will really transform the car and I feel like if you're buying the car as a driver, find one that is properly modified.
Thanks for the advice. I surely do not want to repeat the NSX experience and really thinking about it 2 or 3 times. I did a few laps on the wet at Monza with a 400hp modified 930 and loved every second. Also did a few laps on a 997.2 GT3 and it was pure erection.

The difference is that the GT3 is a good package right out of the box, while the 930 needs ma$$aging.

I just sold my 993 C2 for various reasons, but mainly the 964 felt more fun to be tossed around the turns and when driven hard..
Old 08-13-2018, 02:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)

Quote:
Ugh, the 996 turbo is another example. No, I would not like to drive a very fast vacuum cleaner, no matter how cheap it's gotten.

I could not put the 996 into words. Now I can. Had a good laugh on this one.
Old 08-13-2018, 02:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)

I have both a modified 996TT and a stock 930, so I'll throw my $.02 in. Correctly modded the 996TT can get you a helluva lot of fun with just bolt on's, and not drain the bank account. I bought a well sorted example with larger turbos, upgraded exhaust, suspension, brakes, etc, and you can't drive it without a smile. Of course the 1978 technology is a antiquated by today's standards, but you can't stop the car without getting a thumbs up or a compliment from a stranger. It all depends on what you're looking for, your best bet is probably to just have a few at your disposal!
Old 08-13-2018, 03:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)
Turbo Powered Snow Blower

Garage
Quote:
Wow!
The 930 needs work to be fun. But it will never be a fun track car to me. My Mustang with the Griggs GR40 kit is way more fun on the track.
But with a few tweaks like headers, twin-scroll turbo and long neck inter-cooler the 930 loses all of the antiquated turbo lag and becomes fun.
The only reason to do this is you want a classic air cooled hot rod to drive; Not because you want to have the fastest car around.
Otherwise the GT3 all day long. You will spend way more than GT3 money getting a 930 to never perform like one.
Old 08-13-2018, 03:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Monson View Post
Iíll never understand why you act this way. You can disagree with his price opinions without being disagreeable. Seller is smoking crack if he expects $70s and JMS said so. Do you have an actual opinion or just want to hammer his?
Thanks Matt. Iíve grown thicker skin since becoming more active on Pelican, it is clearly needed as we all know. I also know I tend to talk down the value of the 930, and I think thereís an easy explanation for it, so let me try and explain why that is, as Iím not just trying to blanket offend every/any 930 owner.

While we all see where these are trading in the public forum, BaT, etc...Iím finding, buying and negotiating much better private deals for myself that nobody sees other than me. So when it comes time to opine on value, I know that they can be bought for less (sometimes a lot less) than the handful of sales we are seeing trade publicly. Thus my opinion is more based on the added knowledge I have internally from the handful of 930s Iíve bought over the past couple years that nobody else knows about, than it is on some of the public trades we all see and discuss. Thus I tend to opine on this information, my own information, which seems to be on the very low end of the market, because Iím not paying anywhere near some of these BaT sh|t crazy prices.

So if this knowledge Iíve gathered from the deals Iíve put together while growing my collection of 930s can help a fellow forum member asking for an opinion on a topic that I am quite knowledgeable on, then Iím fine with speaking up at the risk of offending some, so long as it may help the one asking for the opinion. I only collect 930s, and thus am quite well versed in their value, so I thought it was prudent to offer up my opinion on this topic. If Iím offending some, or causing the troll to come out in others, thatís not my intention. If my opinion helps...great. If not...no big deal.
Old 08-13-2018, 03:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)
gearhead

Quote:
Point well taken Matt with regards to the 993TT.

On the other hand I don't equate a 996TT to a 930 by any means. Apples and oranges. The 996 TT is a beast but not nearly as visceral at the 993TT.
I'm not sure the comparison carried. In it's day, the 930 was the fully equipped comfortable GT car, as the 996TT is to it's era. They are both beasts, in their own way, but they are also both heavy and soft as delivered.

There's only 15 HP difference between a 993TT and 996TT at near identical weight. Stock for stock, the 996 won't hand the 993 it's arse. They aren't that far apart.

The 993 does have a gearing advantage. It's geared like a 996 GT3. The 996 gearing is way taller. And the 993 got an LSD standard, which the 996 did not.

But how much more than a 996 are they these days? $50k? More?
2008 Cayman S Mule
Old 08-13-2018, 03:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMS935 View Post
Thanks Matt. I’ve grown thicker skin since becoming more active on Pelican, it is clearly needed as we all know. I also know I tend to talk down the value of the 930, and I think there’s an easy explanation for it, so let me try and explain why that is, as I’m not just trying to blanket offend every/any 930 owner.

While we all see where these are trading in the public forum, BaT, etc...I’m finding, buying and negotiating much better private deals for myself that nobody sees other than me. So when it comes time to opine on value, I know that they can be bought for less (sometimes a lot less) than the handful of sales we are seeing trade publicly. Thus my opinion is more based on the added knowledge I have internally from the handful of 930s I’ve bought over the past couple years that nobody else knows about, than it is on some of the public trades we all see and discuss. Thus I tend to opine on this information, my own information, which seems to be on the very low end of the market, because I’m not paying anywhere near some of these BaT sh|t crazy prices.

So if this knowledge I’ve gathered from the deals I’ve put together while growing my collection of 930s can help a fellow forum member asking for an opinion on a topic that I am quite knowledgeable on, then I’m fine with speaking up at the risk of offending some, so long as it may help the one asking for the opinion. I only collect 930s, and thus am quite well versed in their value, so I thought it was prudent to offer up my opinion on this topic. If I’m offending some, or causing the troll to come out in others, that’s not my intention. If my opinion helps...great. If not...no big deal.
Why dish it out with the pontification when you clearly can't take the same ?

Here's a gem of yours among many ...

Quote:
That's hilarious! I think this would me more proper under the thread "Prices that make me laugh". Good luck with selling a heap of matching parts for 100k when a complete car is barely breaking 100k (with BaT commish).

Last edited by pmax; 08-13-2018 at 05:44 PM..
Old 08-13-2018, 04:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)

pmax, you don’t bother me at all, didn’t you read the post? That’s what the ‘thicker skin’ comment was referring to. Or are you just quoting my post to try and get a rise out of me? Because as Matt pointed out, you tend to be more of a nag then to provide any real useful opinions for anyone to read, digest and comment on.

That hilarious quote was spot on, I fell off my chair laughing at it it was so ridiculous. There are some seriously disoriented owners when it comes to being in tune with the market, and that was one of them. As I stated, it was in the wrong thread. I stand by that opinion. I for one will very much welcome the day it’s 100k bid for a trailer full of parts for a 930, as I’ve been buying as many 930s as I can afford. So when I’m proved wrong on that point, I will gladly accept it and cash out.
Old 08-13-2018, 05:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
pmax, you don’t bother me at all, didn’t you read the post? That’s what the ‘thicker skin’ comment was referring to. Or are you just quoting my post to try and get a rise out of me? Because as Matt pointed out, you tend to be more of a nag then to provide any real useful opinions for anyone to read, digest and comment on.

That hilarious quote was spot on, I fell off my chair laughing at it it was so ridiculous. There are some seriously disoriented owners when it comes to being in tune with the market, and that was one of them. As I stated, it was in the wrong thread. I stand by that opinion. I for one will very much welcome the day it’s 100k bid for a trailer full of parts for a 930, as I’ve been buying as many 930s as I can afford. So when I’m proved wrong on that point, I will gladly accept it and cash out.
That "hilarious quote" was just plain rude IMO.

But leaving that aside, you are not selling any of your 930's for the $60K you so easily attach to the BAT car, are you ?
Old 08-13-2018, 05:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #38 (permalink)

I wish 9309000XXXX or whatever his username was would comeback to the marketplace forum.
Old 08-13-2018, 05:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #39 (permalink)

Quote:
When I wrecked my Ducati ST4S which I loved and had put a ton of work into I picked up a BMW R1200S. I wanted another sport touring bike and I read a lot about the R12S, I also loved the design. I bought a very nice example. I never bonded with that bike, 18 months later I sold it. I replaced it with an Aprilia Tuono and never looked back.
Hey trader I completely agree with you. As a ST4, 748 SPS, etc owner, I gave the Germans a try with a R60, then a R75, then a R90. Never, ever bonded with any of the BMWs. Strange, as I once owned BMW cars. The old R60 that I had was mint but left me stranded - in Mexico. Then I took a similar trip in Mexico (back pre-2008 when you could, safely) and the Ducati never let me down.

Strange thing Italian bikes are. I for one bond with them immediately, whereas the German bikes lack mojo for me.

I want to like a 996TT. Heck I want to like a 996. I would consider a 996 Carrera 4 for my wife.

Being a lifelong 911 fan, since I was probably 10, so that's almost 40 years - I was never a 930 fan. I always thought the turbo was too much. I've driven a few. A '77 was the best for me. The later '80s cars lacked the rawness.
Old 08-13-2018, 06:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #40 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: