Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Classified Ads > Porsche Marketplace Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMS935 View Post

That hilarious quote was spot on, I fell off my chair laughing at it it was so ridiculous. There are some seriously disoriented owners when it comes to being in tune with the market, and that was one of them. As I stated, it was in the wrong thread. I stand by that opinion. I for one will very much welcome the day it’s 100k bid for a trailer full of parts for a 930, as I’ve been buying as many 930s as I can afford. So when I’m proved wrong on that point, I will gladly accept it and cash out.
I have to agree with this. It wasn't rude, it was truthful. I almost commented on it myself. I was going to say something but was too tired. I felt he was putting it out there because he told his wife he would at $100K. Those days are over. Those days for a '76 in pieces was back three years ago - if then. It was hilarious - and still is.
Old 08-13-2018, 05:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #41 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmax View Post
That "hilarious quote" was just plain rude IMO.

But leaving that aside, you are not selling any of your 930's for the $60K you so easily attach to the BAT car, are you ?
I believe I gave it 65k, with a slight nudge for needing that color. But who's keeping score.

I have nothing for sale at 60k, of course not. But then again, if you reread my comment, it specifically states that the car in question is NOT a top grade blue chip collectible. I don't buy 930s with 110k miles on them, far from it. All of mine would be considered far more collectible than this car in question. It would take multiples of this 930 to acquire any one of my 930's. Apples and oranges.
Old 08-13-2018, 05:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #42 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMS935 View Post
I believe I gave it 65k, with a slight nudge for needing that color. But who's keeping score.

I have nothing for sale at 60k, of course not. But then again, if you reread my comment, it specifically states that the car in question is NOT a top grade blue chip collectible. I don't buy 930s with 110k miles on them, far from it. All of mine would be considered far more collectible than this car in question. It would take multiples of this 930 to acquire any one of my 930's. Apples and oranges.
Ok so then can you send my way any not collector grade 930 that you stumble across? Please!

For reference, the seller of the blue one sent me a list of 930 for sale on Autotrader/cars.com as reference price.

Then I sent him the link of the “sold item” 930 on eBay + mentioning his BaT unsold listing for 60k. That’s when he dropped negotiations.

I personally think that 930s went up too much, too quickly. Something like 964s but without the Singer induced shortage.

Because 930 start to approach 355/ 360 Modena values and, having already a 964, it makes me wonder if I should add some variety. (Yes maintenance blah blah belts blah blah service blah blah)
Old 08-13-2018, 05:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #43 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmax View Post
That "hilarious quote" was just plain rude IMO.
so, you're the polite police now?

that "plain rude quote" was just plain humorous IMO.

i'll defer to your expertise there...
Old 08-13-2018, 05:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #44 (permalink)

Visceral…. I assume that is what hda is looking for..... this is based upon the adding of a Ducati to the discussion as a comparison of sensation.....

76 to 89 Turbo's for the street were primarily cars bought by professionals..... they were big with tennis, hockey, baseball stars, lawyers and doctors.... They were not purchased by seat of your pants canyon carvers or club racers..... Turbos were not only too complicated to drive fast back in those days they were mostly driven a bit drunk. They looked great at stadiums, night clubs and country clubs. In ten years of rallying, I have seen only a handful of Turbos in comparison to say a 914. They are big at cars and coffee..... I walked around quite a few..... Love the way they look but I have no idea why you would need more than one if it is stock. All that said, I would rank the yellowbird as one of my favorite Porsche's.

996TT is a great car. I drove one which was owned by a Lemans driver. It was professionally set-up to be an entertaining car for him to drive; modified suspension, bigger Turbos, GT3 seats. I never felt so safe driving fast. It ate up straights and clung the road in turns..... I should have bought it..... very usable...... all he wanted was $45,000. Had 30,000 miles. It wasn't air cooled, it was not rally material..... It stirred the juices but it was too pretty..... too modern. I mean the AC worked.

GT3s are the closest IMO to how Porsche's were visualized; sparsely equipped, light and fast. If you are going modern and you wanted visceral I would start with an 04/05 GT3. Budget $70,000 and buy a nice one.

For the same money ($100,000ish) you might want to try an early air-cooled S. The most fun I ever had was driving one with my mates at 9/10 in a 2.0L. That is a visceral experience right down to the smell of the oil and the crackle of the cooling exhaust...…. I like 964s but they are not the same thing as an early 160-210hp/2200pd air-cooled with a good recaro……

Currently, I am driving a lightly modded 86 Carrera..... visceral over 4500 RPM......

Last edited by Macroni; 08-14-2018 at 04:27 AM..
Old 08-14-2018, 04:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #45 (permalink)

Thanks Macroni, i have 3 Ducati at home and I can definitely relate to the “raw” part!

One of the main reasons I want one goes back to a few laps as a passenger here https://youtu.be/DxrbiokMc00

And the fact that having an N/A is “good” to add a bit of Turbo experience in my garage!
Old 08-14-2018, 04:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #46 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACK3.2 View Post
Honestly, I think people get into the 930s because they like the big ass and extra power on paper. But they are not rewarding to drive, not like the Carreras. 4-speed feels very dated. Car falls out of boost with each shift. Buyers also discover they need to warm up and cool down the turbos.. Thus a lot of them are being sold on.
I agree, I was shocked when I drove an early turbo - at how “bad” it drove. I could see some auto sadist enjoying the wacky power band, but it’s not for me.

NA all the way - I love a progressive, linear power delivery with a close to redline rush. A 997 GT3 (or if prices go much higher a M&W 904) is my bucket list car...
Old 08-14-2018, 06:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #47 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macroni View Post

996TT is a great car. I drove one which was owned by a Lemans driver. It was professionally set-up to be an entertaining car for him to drive; modified suspension, bigger Turbos, GT3 seats. I never felt so safe driving fast. It ate up straights and clung the road in turns..... I should have bought it.....
Do you know how it was set up?

My issue with the 996TT is that it just felt ponderous. I assumed it was due to the extra weight of the creature comforts, plus that all that power made for a lot of back and forth weight transfer when going on/off throttle. Then again, while the car was fast, it didn't feel fast. It felt too insulated.

Can these cars be modded to make them feel more visceral and connected, and to make them behave better and more predictably, with less of pogo-like weight transfer?
Old 08-14-2018, 10:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #48 (permalink)
gearhead

Quote:

My issue with the 996TT is that it just felt ponderous. I assumed it was due to the extra weight of the creature comforts, plus that all that power made for a lot of back and forth weight transfer when going on/off throttle. Then again, while the car was fast, it didn't feel fast. It felt too insulated.

Can these cars be modded to make them feel more visceral and connected, and to make them behave better and more predictably, with less of pogo-like weight transfer?
Yes. The first thing you do is remove the AWD and all that extra weight in the nose. And then you add an LSD. At that point it becomes a poor man's GT2.
2008 Cayman S Mule
Old 08-14-2018, 11:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #49 (permalink)

Quote:

I will see if I can get the build sheet.... I do not remember the back and forth during on and off.... definitely felt very fast through the curves...... aggressive sure footed and nimble.... just too refined......
Old 08-14-2018, 02:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #50 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by G450X View Post
I agree, I was shocked when I drove an early turbo - at how “bad” it drove. I could see some auto sadist enjoying the wacky power band, but it’s not for me.

NA all the way - I love a progressive, linear power delivery with a close to redline rush. A 997 GT3 (or if prices go much higher a M&W 904) is my bucket list car...
I disagree, the Turbo's may not be for everyone but everyone deserves to drive one..especially modified. Not even heavily modified, just with a few bolt ons. Early Turbo's have their own character. Part of the fun is working for your gains/grins. Even an early Turbo with a 7200 would feel much better than stock. I've owned both a N/A and a Turbo....the Turbo was the complete package for me
Old 08-14-2018, 04:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #51 (permalink)

Well looking at autotrader there are a "bunch" of 930 with the tag saying REDUCED.

I guess is not only my impression that 930 prices are coming down!
Old 08-15-2018, 05:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #52 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by speednme1 View Post
Early Turbo's have their own character.

They certainly are some of the coolest cars produced by Porsche...

I would love either a Turbo Carrera with tartan interior or a 1989 slope nose coupe 930S.....
Old 08-15-2018, 06:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #53 (permalink)
Turbo Powered Snow Blower

Garage
^^^ I'm envious of Magnus's Ice Green Turbo with the Avocado and Tartan interior.
That car was ordered perfectly, IMO.
Old 08-15-2018, 06:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #54 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hda View Post
Well looking at autotrader there are a "bunch" of 930 with the tag saying REDUCED.

I guess is not only my impression that 930 prices are coming down!
Just looked at the normal Autotrader (1981 and newer), of (33) 930 listed the Reduced 'bunch' is (2) cars, both slopenose and way overpriced to begin with.
Old 08-15-2018, 06:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #55 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornerlot View Post
Just looked at the normal Autotrader (1981 and newer), of (33) 930 listed the Reduced 'bunch' is (2) cars, both slopenose and way overpriced to begin with.
A couple of nights ago I counted 4/5 of the results (I stop at 1988).
Regardless I think some asking prices on AT are CuCu.
Old 08-15-2018, 07:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #56 (permalink)
gearhead

There is no denying that 930 prices have come down a bit. It's just not a crisis...
2008 Cayman S Mule
Old 08-15-2018, 08:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #57 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Monson View Post
There is no denying that 930 prices have come down a bit. It's just not a crisis...
It's a crisis if you're seller stuck on 2015 prices expecting others to pay up at that rate..
'79 930 turbo RoW - Oak Green Metallic - k27-7200 - Kokeln Intercooler - RarlyL8 headers/muffler - Leask WuR - Tial 46mm - Rebel racing sphericals front/rear - ER Monoballs front/rear - ER adjustable spring plates - 29/23mm TBs - Wevo engine mounts - Rebel racing transmission mounts
'99 4Runner Sr5
Old 08-15-2018, 10:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #58 (permalink)
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacobS911 View Post
It's a crisis if you're seller stuck on 2015 prices expecting others to pay up at that rate..
That's a personal problem, not a market crisis. Give me driver 930s in the 40s and we've got a crisis and I'm now a bottom feeding buyer.
2008 Cayman S Mule
Old 08-15-2018, 11:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #59 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1979-930 View Post
^^^ I'm envious of Magnus's Ice Green Turbo with the Avocado and Tartan interior.
That car was ordered perfectly, IMO.
I liked his silver one with the RSR wheels...….
Old 08-15-2018, 11:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #60 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: