Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Classified Ads > Porsche Marketplace Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

I find it funny and very ironic that we are generally a crowd that does not give a rats ass about stock performance as we are mostly a much of hot rodders. The 930 is one the best Porsche platforms that was ever built to hot rod and yet when you do you substantially decrease value of car. Put 930 fenders and hop up a 911 and call it an RSR tribute now it's a $250k car, makes no sense to me.

Phil
Old 08-20-2018, 06:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #81 (permalink)

Lots of unsold 930 on BAT

one missed the reserve price by $50k!

https://bringatrailer.com/porsche/930-turbo/
Old 08-20-2018, 06:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #82 (permalink)

Garage
Concerning Porsche air cooled values, Many consult "Chicken Little". Especially when thay want to buy mine, and "save" me from the impending market crash. Such altruism!!
Old 08-20-2018, 06:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #83 (permalink)
Turbo Powered Snow Blower

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pu911 View Post
I find it funny and very ironic that we are generally a crowd that does not give a rats ass about stock performance as we are mostly a much of hot rodders. The 930 is one the best Porsche platforms that was ever built to hot rod and yet when you do you substantially decrease value of car. Put 930 fenders and hop up a 911 and call it an RSR tribute now it's a $250k car, makes no sense to me.

Phil
I have the exact same opinions and started the RSR/Backdate thread because of it.
It's crazy what people will pay for those cars verses a well built turbo or any track car.
Old 08-20-2018, 07:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #84 (permalink)
gearhead

I don’t find our bias that surprising given that PP was founded as a DIY site. I do think it crazy what people will pay for original. I always shudder at the “what do I do, my car is now too valuable to drive?” Posts.
2008 Cayman S Mule
Old 08-20-2018, 07:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #85 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Monson View Post
I donít find our bias that surprising given that PP was founded as a DIY site. I do think it crazy what people will pay for original. I always shudder at the ďwhat do I do, my car is now too valuable to drive?Ē Posts.
I agree. I also never understood the "museum emulation syndrome" that some owners have - of having a garage with cars that are 100% original and immaculate. I appreciate the look of them, but I can't own one.

I had bought a 993 last year, with high miles but in fantastic conditions that was "too original and too nice to modify". Sold it this year

I think some people just care about the looks and the "originality badge" as a status symbol.
Old 08-20-2018, 07:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #86 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by hda View Post
I agree. I also never understood the "museum emulation syndrome" that some owners have - of having a garage with cars that are 100% original and immaculate. I appreciate the look of them, but I can't own one.

I had bought a 993 last year, with high miles but in fantastic conditions that was "too original and too nice to modify". Sold it this year

I think some people just care about the looks and the "originality badge" as a status symbol.
I've always thought that keeping a car absolutely original is kind of a cop out, as we used to say. It's easy (and lazy) to hide behind the factory's output. It has it's place in our hobby, originality does, but it's way, way out of proportion to the entire logic behind Ferdinand's brand to begin with.

As 'investment grade', sure, knock your lights out preserving your collection. Most of us don't view our cars as such, nor should we. These cars (ALL of them btw) were built to drive, not coddle. If you're looking for ROI, have at it with your warehouses and nitrogen filled tires. Personally, I'll leave the preservation to the Porsche Museum and not someone trying to beat the Dow. Free world and all that.

The real car guys drive their collection. Why wouldn't you?
(I don't list the cars I've sold, because they're gone)
Old 08-20-2018, 08:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #87 (permalink)

Garage
I have a 1988 G50 targa with a transplanted 1984 3.3L turbo motor. The non stock items are a k27 intercooler, 1 bar spring, and different exhaust. I would never call it a pig. My car is safely modified and pulls strong from 2500 rpms. However, when I switch out the exhaust to pass emissions the car is a big let down. Anyone considering one make sure it’s sorted.

Last edited by nixtfy; 08-20-2018 at 09:02 AM..
Old 08-20-2018, 08:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #88 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pu911 View Post

Phil
I agree wholeheartedly. Especially when a lot of the RSR backdates have a stock 3.2 engine, stock 3.2 suspension and brakes. I get when the engine is modified with bigger pistons and cyls, pmoís, twin plug...930 brakes..etc..etc. Most are nothing but fluff. Wide fenders in fiberglass and wide wheels with spartan interior. Some are well thought and good builds but still fall short in some areas. Are they worth a decent buck? Sure but imo not what many have been selling at.
Old 08-20-2018, 08:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #89 (permalink)
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by speednme1 View Post
I agree wholeheartedly. Especially when a lot of the RSR backdates have a stock 3.2 engine, stock 3.2 suspension and brakes. I get when the engine is modified with bigger pistons and cyls, pmoís, twin plug...930 brakes..etc..etc. Most are nothing but fluff. Wide fenders in fiberglass and wide wheels with spartan interior. Some are well thought and good builds but still fall short in some areas. Are they worth a decent buck? Sure but imo not what many have been selling at.
That's just the difference between the $70k 1970 T and a Flying Hawaiian build at $170k+. One is a hot rod some member did for fun and another is an actual "build". They most definitely aren't the same thing. If someone takes a 3.2 Carrera and just backdates the body it's just rice.
Old 08-20-2018, 09:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #90 (permalink)

Quote:
If someone takes a 3.2 Carrera and just backdates the body it's just rice.
Well...looks go a long way and a lot of people do a lot of things and especially spend lots of money just for the looks. A '73 stock RS has 210hp and a lot of people think that car is still fun.

Sure a 2018 Mustang puts out more horsepower than an original Cobra - but people spend a lot of money re-creating that body and do not improve the performance.
Old 08-20-2018, 09:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #91 (permalink)
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalParadise View Post
Well...looks go a long way and a lot of people do a lot of things and especially spend lots of money just for the looks. A '73 stock RS has 210hp and a lot of people think that car is still fun.

Sure a 2018 Mustang puts out more horsepower than an original Cobra - but people spend a lot of money re-creating that body and do not improve the performance.
The world is full of ricers.
Old 08-20-2018, 09:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #92 (permalink)

Quote:
That's just the difference between the $70k 1970 T and a Flying Hawaiian build at $170k+. One is a hot rod some member did for fun and another is an actual "build". They most definitely aren't the same thing. If someone takes a 3.2 Carrera and just backdates the body it's just rice.
Matt several backdate builders will just build a car with the RSR looks. I came across two cars that were built on a 3.2 chassis. Albeit the work was beautiful (rotisserie painted) but the engine,brakes and suspension were basically stock. They were being sold for over $200k...and getting it. I donít think itís rice, they were nice builds but the price should reflect the car. To each his own but I think a 930 of equal condition should be worth more..just saying
Old 08-20-2018, 09:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #93 (permalink)

The 996TT is a bargain. Here is the 930 price guide published in October 2014 Panorama. Someone's crystal ball was in the shop.
Prices blasted off and augered in within 18 months.

Last year a friend with one of the "majors" said there wasn't a week or perhaps even a day that went by where a customer was trying to unwind a 930 deal where too much was paid during the frenzy.

R Gruppe #111
Early S Registry #235
res ipsa loquitur
Old 08-20-2018, 10:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #94 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sithot View Post
The 996TT is a bargain. Here is the 930 price guide published in October 2014 Panorama. Someone's crystal ball was in the shop.
Prices blasted off and augered in within 18 months.

Last year a friend with one of the "majors" said there wasn't a week or perhaps even a day that went by where a customer was trying to unwind a 930 deal where too much was paid during the frenzy.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/uploads26/Porsche_930_Prices1534784307.jpg
Would love if you could ask your "Majors friend" how's this year going 930 wise?

I think 997 GT3 are experiencing the same curve - maybe because stuff begins to BREAK on a 10 years old car?... That "Last Mezger" thing not cool anymore?

Asking $85k for a 997.1 gt3 with accident reported and 50k miles is just "coo coo"
Old 08-20-2018, 10:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #95 (permalink)
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by speednme1 View Post
Matt several backdate builders will just build a car with the RSR looks. I came across two cars that were built on a 3.2 chassis. Albeit the work was beautiful (rotisserie painted) but the engine,brakes and suspension were basically stock. They were being sold for over $200k...and getting it. I donít think itís rice, they were nice builds but the price should reflect the car. To each his own but I think a 930 of equal condition should be worth more..just saying
Rice is used to refer to sports cars who have heavily cosmetic modifications and little or no internal modifications. RICE - stands for Race Inspired Cosmetic Enhancement.

I don't care how much you spend doing it, if it doesn't make the car go faster, stop better, or handle, it's rice. Now someone spending $200k on a riced up 3.2? That's just silly...
2008 Cayman S Mule
Old 08-20-2018, 10:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #96 (permalink)

Quote:
I don't care how much you spend doing it, if it doesn't make the car go faster, stop better, or handle, it's rice.
I kinda like the PP crowd
Old 08-20-2018, 10:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #97 (permalink)
Quote:
Rice is used to refer to sports cars who have heavily cosmetic modifications and little or no internal modifications. RICE - stands for Race Inspired Cosmetic Enhancement.

I don't care how much you spend doing it, if it doesn't make the car go faster, stop better, or handle, it's rice. Now someone spending $200k on a riced up 3.2? That's just silly...
Whats the history of that acronym? It fits well so no argument but there was a day when Riced up referred to it being a ricer or rice rocket aka white rice, aka from Japan
Old 08-20-2018, 11:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #98 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanbs View Post
Whats the history of that acronym? It fits well so no argument but there was a day when Riced up referred to it being a ricer or rice rocket aka white rice, aka from Japan
That was always my understanding too.
Old 08-20-2018, 11:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #99 (permalink)

Quote:

how would you catagorize this one.1989 Porsche 911 RSR - Gaswerks Garage
Old 08-20-2018, 11:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #100 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: