Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Classified Ads > Porsche Marketplace Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

930 Prices - Mid 2018 crisis?

I am looking for a 930 because I like to live dangerously.

I am seeing the prices coming down quite a bit, especially for the non TurboCarrera / 1989 Models.

Am I the only one?
I know it all depends on conditions but what would you say the price for this is?

Fair deal or steal?

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1988-porsche-930-2/

Last edited by hda; 08-13-2018 at 08:08 AM..
Old 08-13-2018, 08:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

That was the market speaking, just because the seller didn’t let it go doesn’t mean that wasn’t a fair market value for that car. I bet it was very close to meeting the reserve, and maybe even got sold to the high bidder after the auction. With the 5% BaT fee tacked onto the top bid, that’s about where the market is for a 930 with that mileage.
Old 08-13-2018, 08:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
gearhead

$60k is a crisis? I think not. Agree with JMS that’s the market. The foam has come off the top of 930 pricing, as well it should. But it’s not gonna crash.
2008 Cayman S Mule
Old 08-13-2018, 08:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMS935 View Post
That was the market speaking, just because the seller didnít let it go doesnít mean that wasnít a fair market value for that car. I bet it was very close to meeting the reserve, and maybe even got sold to the high bidder after the auction. With the 5% BaT fee tacked onto the top bid, thatís about where the market is for a 930 with that mileage.
The seller actually posted it for sale on PCA for $78k so definitely NOT close to that reserve.

I remember maybe 12 months ago it was extremely difficult to find a 930 "driver" under 90k...
Old 08-13-2018, 08:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

When the market exploded it took everything with it, we’re now seeing the truly collectible cars separating further from the rest, as they should. A 110k mile car of mass production is not a top grade blue chip collectible, and it never will be. Sellers are starting to get realistic to this fact, thus more are trading hands. 78k for that car is overpriced IMO, unless a buyer just has to have that color, as there are better 930s with less miles available for less money. I don’t think it’s worth a nickel more than 65k.
Old 08-13-2018, 08:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
That was the market speaking, just because the seller didn’t let it go doesn’t mean that wasn’t a fair market value for that car.
Try again.

Sellers and buyers make a market, not just one or the other. This is just as relevant as the seller asking for sky high prices.
Old 08-13-2018, 09:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Quote:
When the market exploded it took everything with it, weíre now seeing the truly collectible cars separating further from the rest, as they should. A 110k mile car of mass production is not a top grade blue chip collectible, and it never will be. Sellers are starting to get realistic to this fact, thus more are trading hands. 78k for that car is overpriced IMO, unless a buyer just has to have that color, as there are better 930s with less miles available for less money. I donít think itís worth a nickel more than 65k.
Agree with you 100% but the seller did not as he turned down my offer
Old 08-13-2018, 09:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hda View Post
Agree with you 100% but the seller did not as he turned down my offer
If youíre in love with that color, then I could see paying something slightly north of 65k, but not much. Itís definitely not a 78k car IMO. If it were it wouldnít still be available.
Old 08-13-2018, 09:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmax View Post
Try again.

Sellers and buyers make a market, not just one or the other. This is just as relevant as the seller asking for sky high prices.
I donít need to try again, just the seller does to get it sold. He can net more than the high bid, so not letting it go was probably a smart move, as thereís a little bit left in it, but getting 78k for it isnít being realistic either.
Old 08-13-2018, 09:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Former Options Trader !!!

Should have hit the bid. I don't think the bottoms going to drop out of the 930 market from here but having the car sit around when you dont want to keep it is not doing you any good either.
Old 08-13-2018, 10:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Honestly, I think people get into the 930s because they like the big ass and extra power on paper. But they are not rewarding to drive, not like the Carreras. 4-speed feels very dated. Car falls out of boost with each shift. Buyers also discover they need to warm up and cool down the turbos.. Thus a lot of them are being sold on.
Old 08-13-2018, 10:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
I don’t need to try again, just the seller does to get it sold. He can net more than the high bid, so not letting it go was probably a smart move, as there’s a little bit left in it, but getting 78k for it isn’t being realistic either.
Try ebay.

According to you, those must be market prices too.
Old 08-13-2018, 11:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
gearhead

Quote:
Try ebay.

According to you, those must be market prices too.
Iíll never understand why you act this way. You can disagree with his price opinions without being disagreeable. Seller is smoking crack if he expects $70s and JMS said so. Do you have an actual opinion or just want to hammer his?
2008 Cayman S Mule
Old 08-13-2018, 11:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Monson View Post
I’ll never understand why you act this way. You can disagree with his price opinions without being disagreeable. Seller is smoking crack if he expects $70s and JMS said so. Do you have an actual opinion or just want to hammer his?
Nice guy.

Don't worry. JMS can stand up for him/her self.
Old 08-13-2018, 11:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
gearhead

Quote:
Nice guy.

Don't worry. JMS can stand up for him/her self.
Iím not standing up for him. Iím pointing out youíve got a habit of being a troll.
2008 Cayman S Mule
Old 08-13-2018, 11:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Monson View Post
Iím not standing up for him. Iím pointing out youíve got a habit of being a troll.
Thanks for the laugh ...

.... as if I'm derailing this thread.
Old 08-13-2018, 11:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACK3.2 View Post
Honestly, I think people get into the 930s because they like the big ass and extra power on paper. But they are not rewarding to drive, not like the Carreras. 4-speed feels very dated. Car falls out of boost with each shift. Buyers also discover they need to warm up and cool down the turbos.. Thus a lot of them are being sold on.
It's all the nostalgia here...

Very similar to my 92 Acura NSX experience - I bought it and set it up for the track with shorter gears and suspension improvements.It was a complete letdown and sold it as fast as I could. Should you meet your heroes?... probably not..!
Old 08-13-2018, 11:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

I think the possibility of expensive engine work scared off allot of bidders on the OP example. Also the accident didn't help. $60k - $65k is the fair market value to buy sight unseen IMO.

BAT is a pretty good indicator where the market is for 930s. They have definitely come down in price from their 2015 highs. Also 996 Turbos since they seem to have an example of either one of these models up every week.

https://bringatrailer.com/porsche/930-turbo/

Last edited by specialtyoneinc; 08-13-2018 at 12:02 PM..
Old 08-13-2018, 11:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hda View Post
It's all the nostalgia here...

Very similar to my 92 Acura NSX experience - I bought it and set it up for the track with shorter gears and suspension improvements.It was a complete letdown and sold it as fast as I could. Should you meet your heroes?... probably not..!
Oh that's too bad. When I bought my 87 Carrera, it was everything I'd dreamed and more. The 930 was meh. Really surprised me, actually.

What was it about the NSX you didn't like? How does it compare to the Carrera?
Old 08-13-2018, 11:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by specialtyoneinc View Post
BAT is a pretty good indicator where the market is for 930s. They have definitely come down in price from their 2015 highs. Also 996 Turbos since they seem to have an example of either one of these models up every week.

https://bringatrailer.com/porsche/930-turbo/
Ugh, the 996 turbo is another example. No, I would not like to drive a very fast vacuum cleaner, no matter how cheap it's gotten.
Old 08-13-2018, 11:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: