Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Classified Ads > Porsche Marketplace Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Respray

Guys, what if any, does a complete respray do to a 89 turbo? I hate to keep begging for numbers, but you guys have a wealth of knowledge!!

Thanks!
Old 08-22-2018, 12:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Depends on the condition & mileage. It definitely adds a lil weight
Old 08-22-2018, 12:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

1) Glass out?
2) Down to metal?
3) What brand of paint?
4) Original matched color?
5) Who did the work?
6) What is the quality of the work?

It's very hard to get close to factory paint - even though Porsche sometimes did not do a stellar job (but better than the Italians).

So many varying degrees of paint. With '89 Turbos being desirable, and a collector car, I would say tens of thousands off. For someone looking to get into a Turbo for a better price than normal - it could be a bargain. It would be better by far for the buyer (if he knew what he was looking at) - than a seller peddling the repaint. The seller is going to get hurt, and it's going to take the dollar signs out of his eyes.
Old 08-22-2018, 01:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks guys, I really appreciate the responses. Your the best!
Old 08-22-2018, 02:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

It depends how bad the original paint is, too. I mean, if the old paint is completely gone, you will increase the value of the car with a proper respray.
Old 08-22-2018, 03:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

and don't forget to ask WHY it was repainted. If it was because of an accident, that is a big hit on value. Love the 'got bumped in the parking lot, replaced passenger door and front and rear right fender'.

Last edited by CASair; 08-23-2018 at 09:14 AM..
Old 08-22-2018, 03:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

it hurts... my guess is at least 10%

was it a single stage color from the factory and repainted single stage or base clear ?

i resprayed my speedster. guessing it eliminated half the buyers that called on it
Old 08-22-2018, 06:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Repainting is always assumed to have been done poorly just like collision repair because it typically is. I have to be convinced with my own eyes whether it was done properly. Until I can verify that I assume the worst. If I verify it was done well and it’s the original color then it actually adds value for me. A quality paint job can easily cost $20k+ so unless you have found a unicorn with original paint that’s in great shape and body that’s in great condition then the next best thing is the unicorns kid sister which is a properly done paint and body restoration
Old 08-22-2018, 08:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

As a body man and painter one of the things i practice is taking photos along with notes of what i am doing throughout the different stages,granted most people don't butt it doesn't hurt to ask.I also like to stay with one brand of materials used throughout the process,so thats another question to ask.I also am certified through the company of the products i use.Just a few questions you can ask before you purchase a car thats been resprayed.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old 08-23-2018, 11:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: