Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Classified Ads > Porsche Marketplace Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 4.20 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMS935 View Post
This business isnít even in good standing with the state of California, it shows up as suspended. Strangely there is only one record on file, and thatís just showing the registered agent, which is Roger Lopez. He appears to be their attorney.

https://businesssearch.sos.ca.gov/Document/RetrievePDF?Id=201513810305-19250029

Nathan, you know who to contact in case you want to try and resolve this through their attorney prior to filing a lawsuit. And maybe you can simultaneously put some pressure on the state to officially shut them down since they are scamming people while theyíre technically not even supposed to be open for business since their license is suspended.

I thought every business registered with the state is supposed to have articles of incorporation on file to see who the principals are, this business has no such filing. Which obviously makes them look even shadier, as theyíve obviously been able to hide their identities from public consumption.

Is California not properly policing their businesses? As theyíre still open for business scamming people with a suspended business license. Somebody clearly isnít doing their job at the state level, cause the one and only filing for this business is over 3 years old. There need to be annual renewals to keep a business in good standing with the state. Maybe the state of California has a bit of culpability here for not doing their job properly. Had they done so and actually shut down a suspended business, Nathan, you wouldnít have gotten conned.

Shut this shady business down Nathan.
Thank you for doing some digging. I hadnít looked for them on the Secretary of State website yet. The receipt they gave me when I gave them the $3000 cash didnít have a BAR registration on it either so Iím curious if they are even registered with BAR. I didnít see the Consumer Bill of Rights sign in plain view either of which I was looking for to tell him maybe he needs to read it and follow it.
Old 09-01-2018, 07:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #41 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanbs View Post
Thank you for doing some digging. I hadnít looked for them on the Secretary of State website yet. The receipt they gave me when I gave them the $3000 cash didnít have a BAR registration on it either so Iím curious if they are even registered with BAR. I didnít see the Consumer Bill of Rights sign in plain view either of which I was looking for to tell him maybe he needs to read it and follow it.
I would've also linked the page that shows their license is suspended, but it doesn't work. If you want to search for them, their name is all one word. "Pasadenaaircooled"
Old 09-01-2018, 07:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #42 (permalink)
Quote:
I would've also linked the page that shows their license is suspended, but it doesn't work. If you want to search for them, their name is all one word. "Pasadenaaircooled"
Thanks. Iíve learned that the spacing is always an issue on that site. So ridiculous in this day and age
Old 09-01-2018, 08:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #43 (permalink)

Quote:
Is California not properly policing their businesses?
ha! the state can't get out of their own way on most things. zero surprise knuckleheads like this carry on as they do.

that said, i hope nathan can help get that shop their due comeuppance. it would be nice to hear of an equitable ending to one of these situations...
Old 09-01-2018, 09:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #44 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Is California not properly policing their businesses? As they’re still open for business scamming people with a suspended business license. Somebody clearly isn’t doing their job at the state level, cause the one and only filing for this business is over 3 years old. There need to be annual renewals to keep a business in good standing with the state. Maybe the state of California has a bit of culpability here for not doing their job properly. Had they done so and actually shut down a suspended business, Nathan, you wouldn’t have gotten conned.

Shut this shady business down Nathan.
Hah, you must be new here and haven't lived in this state.

Here's another business which was operating w/suspended license... enjoy the read. Case was settled out of court, I heard, with a gag in place so no one else can know. $53k body work or $73k body work? You decide

Last edited by pmax; 09-01-2018 at 09:18 AM..
Old 09-01-2018, 09:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #45 (permalink)

Quote:
Mainly body related. That’s my specialty and what I’m best equipped for physically and staffwise. I’m so backed up that anytime I think I can get something done reasonably by someone else I do.
Makes sense. Really blows big time when someone as intimate with their cars as you are gets hosed. Really - this guy just lost everything by screwing you. Not only future business from you which had real potential - for him - but everyone on this board as well. I say at least you got the car back. Who knows what these clowns do to your stuff.

A simple phone call saying 'Hey, it might cost $2k more' would have been nice.
Old 09-01-2018, 09:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #46 (permalink)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SalParadise View Post
Makes sense. Really blows big time when someone as intimate with their cars as you are gets hosed. Really - this guy just lost everything by screwing you. Not only future business from you which had real potential - for him - but everyone on this board as well. I say at least you got the car back. Who knows what these clowns do to your stuff.

A simple phone call saying 'Hey, it might cost $2k more' would have been nice.
Thank you and absolutely a phone call. However it needs to be pre-work not post work so that I have the option to decline and say ďno thanks thatís too much, it just doesnít make sense to me on a car that Iím selling.Ē
Old 09-01-2018, 10:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #47 (permalink)
A little nervous not finding any records for them on the Bureau of Automtive repair website. I’ve heard of scenarios where the BAR can not regulate an automotive business unless the are registered. We shall see as the plot thickens
Old 09-02-2018, 05:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #48 (permalink)

Garage
Found this just from casual searching... that's the same guy.

As JMS said, time to bring these jokers down.
Old 09-02-2018, 07:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #49 (permalink)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmax View Post
Found this just from casual searching... that's the same guy.

As JMS said, time to bring these jokers down.
Yes that’s him thank you for finding that. That is his car storage business of which I cannot bad mouth. The Chester location where Pasadena Air-cooled is operated is a shared location with one of his many car storage locations. So it appears that minimally that LA porsche dismant. referred clients to the car storage business. The odd thing is that I understand that LAPD is in the middle of legally pursuing Caleb for allegedly stealing from them. This whole thing is a giant soap opera. It’s completely nuts.
Old 09-02-2018, 07:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #50 (permalink)

What ever happened to Todd at LAPD?
Old 09-03-2018, 08:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #51 (permalink)

Garage
Nathan, social media & the internet are your strongest tools, post the experience everywhere, Yelp, PCAR shop reviews & here & Rennlist- Make sure to put name of shop in the title so it shows up on a google search. Scummy dealers & Mechanics should always be exposed.
Old 09-03-2018, 08:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #52 (permalink)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSS View Post
What ever happened to Todd at LAPD?
He passed away fairly recently
Old 09-03-2018, 08:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #53 (permalink)

Garage
What scum.
You never got the video, so you have a clear case, right?
Small claims and trashing them on all forums, Facebook, review, and social media outlets.
You can not get sued for stating facts. Make sure you forward your links to them.
Old 09-03-2018, 05:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #54 (permalink)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarek307 View Post
Nathan, social media & the internet are your strongest tools, post the experience everywhere, Yelp, PCAR shop reviews & here & Rennlist- Make sure to put name of shop in the title so it shows up on a google search. Scummy dealers & Mechanics should always be exposed.
Iíve contemplated Rennlist however Iím not a frequent user there and frankly itís a lot of work to make a post like this. It can be insanely taxing and requires a lot of maintenance. Fortunately this one has gone well here(so far) but I also know you guys pretty well at this point but I will be a complete stranger over there.
Old 09-03-2018, 07:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #55 (permalink)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarwood View Post
What scum.
Small claims and trashing them on all forums, Facebook, review, and social media outlets.
You can not get sued for stating facts. Make sure you forward your links to them.
I never got the video or a written test results. Trans noise is still present even though I didnít agree to pay any additional monies for it but at this point they have been paid for it. Valve covers still leak. In person when I picked up they mentioned maybe I need new valve covers. Why not a phone call to discuss baffles me. They are so physically and mentally disorganized. Truly only successful repair at this point was the fuel light of which required a new sender. New noise when coasting at about 25-30, sounds rotational like an axle clicking but goes away at higher or lower speeds. As part of the unauthorized trans repair they repacked the CV joints so not sure if itís somehow related? Lastly the fresh key mark on passenger door that I found next day.
Old 09-03-2018, 07:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #56 (permalink)

what a bummer.. Reminds me of Motor miester back in the day did this all the time too.
before i bought my 67S it was in legal battle for 10yrs over rust repair..
Old 09-04-2018, 05:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #57 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Iíve contemplated Rennlist however Iím not a frequent user there and frankly itís a lot of work to make a post like this. It can be insanely taxing and requires a lot of maintenance. Fortunately this one has gone well here(so far) but I also know you guys pretty well at this point but I will be a complete stranger over there.
Nathan at least make a post there and link to here. You need to get the word out- I can't believe they didn't even give you the video or results & still took the money..
Old 09-04-2018, 07:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #58 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarwood View Post
What scum.
Iím not so sure Iíd be forwarding all of these links to the shysters, thatís just adding fuel to the fire. If they see them than so be it, but pouring gas on the fire doesnít help this situation at all.

Nathan, I would have your attorney contact their registered agent/attorney. Have your attorney kindly ask if thereís any resolving this before filing a lawsuit against them. Iíd also have your attorney (kindly again) ask their registered agent what it is he is actually doing for this business as their registered agent since itís been suspended without any filings with the state in over 3 years. I suspect this attorney might not be too much better than his clients, because heís obviously not doing his job nor distancing himself from a client like this.

Hereís a link discussing suing a suspended business in Cali. It sounds like youíd be putting an undue burden on them, I mean even beyond the lawsuit itself. Cause they canít even defend themselves unless they get into good standing with the state, and from looking at their filings online, they could possibly owe at least 2 years worth of back taxes, annual fees plus any/all related penalties. And thatís money needed to be spent even before they retain an attorney and file an appearance once you file your lawsuit. This should be again (kindly) mentioned to their attorney as well when making the demand for all of your money back plus some money for the added damage they did to your car.

CAN YOU SUE A SUSPENDED CORPORATION? - Penners Bergen Law Corporation

I think your lawsuit would either get settled even before they are required to file an appearance since they wouldnít want to pay everything they owe to the state since Iím assuming itís even more than they stole from you...OR...this shuts them down for good, and they donít even pay the state or offer you a dime. In which case youíd probably have at least successfully shut them down, as I donít know how they continue to operate while being both suspended and having a judgment against them.

If I were a betting man, Iíd say shysters are always shysters, and they wonít defend your lawsuit nor offer you any money. Crooks donít suddenly grow a conscious, they only get more conniving, not less. Hopefully Iím wrong, but from personal experience Iíd say youíre chasing good money with bad, and that the only reason to do it is to stand on your principles and do your best to shut them down so they canít do this to others. If it were me I would do it without pause. F•CK these guys, shove a lawsuit down their throat that they canít even defend!
Old 09-04-2018, 08:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #59 (permalink)

I don't suing them will get you where you want to go. The bill was $3000, right? They will be able to prove you authorized and approved of some of the work, so you can't collect the whole $3000 back, so let's say you can collect half back. Unless your brother is an attorney, you're going to spend the $1500 fairly quickly. Unless you want to take them to small claims court. People know what their doing when it comes to padding a bill, it's never enough to sue over, or stay mad about. Sure they lose a customer, but not every business is looking at the long game.

My advice, warn others, take your lumps and move on. Spending months trying to recover some of your money will more than likely end in nothing but frustration, you energy is better spent moving forward.

---Adam

356 Registry 17369
Early 911S Registry
912 Registry, PCA
Old 09-04-2018, 10:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #60 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: