Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Classified Ads > Porsche Marketplace Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 4.33 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanbs View Post
Lol such a moron. I think bi-polar can be added to the list of his attributes
Saw this post of his recently.

Rennsport suite pass

Didn't know he is a "long time Pelican".
Old 10-02-2018, 07:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #161 (permalink)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmax View Post
Saw this post of his recently.

Rennsport suite pass

Didn't know he is a "long time Pelican".
Oh good catch. I didn’t notice that.
Old 10-03-2018, 05:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #162 (permalink)
gearhead

Post the reply. Some of us don't yelp and have no interest in downloading their app. Plus a screenshot preserves it forevers
Old 10-03-2018, 05:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #163 (permalink)
Court is Monday and he is trying to postpone saying that Caleb's wife just had a baby. The antics continue
Old 12-07-2018, 11:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #164 (permalink)

Pasadena Air Cooled - a different experience

First let me say I am not associated with the shop in any way other than a customer. I have no skin in the game but having watched this thread I figured I should post my own experience with Pasadena Air Cooled (PAC)

Besides my own wrenching, this shop has been the only place that's worked on my 964 since I got it, other than West End Alignment (great guys) who did the suspension adjustment, corner balance, etc.

I understand everyone's experiences are different, so I'll describe mine. I didn't know Bill or whomever ran/owned this place before, I've only worked with Curt, Caleb, and Peter there at PAC for going on a year. They've sorted my 964 pretty well and to the extent I've had sticker shock, it's mostly the "while you're in there" effect and Porsche tax that are responsible. This is not my first Porsche, and ymmv, but I've never received a bill/invoice/estimate that surprised me in a good way by being smaller than I had anticipated. I don't think that's unique to this, or any, shop really.

I can't speak for others' experiences, but at PAC Caleb has provided me with estimates and progress of the work as I've requested it. He's good at answering my texts/calls, has sent me pics of the car and work as we went along (for my own records) and let me bring my own (used or new) parts where I've tried to save some $$$, etc., tolerated my car pissing oil all over their shop/facility, and while we did all that let my 964 occupy one of their lifts for quite a while as I decided on the best way to proceed or waited for parts. I've never felt cheated or scammed, or conned into something I didn't want. Each time we did a major part of the expanding scope of the work I asked for an estimate, got one, asked more questions, got more answers, and only then went ahead and OK'd the work once I understood what I was getting into.

I feel free to question any particular item on the (quite extensive) estimates/invoices I've received from Caleb and the shop. I've also felt free to drop by the shop, chat with Caleb and Peter, the shop's mechanic (or Curt directly) about the car or the work being done. Most importantly, I felt that they all worked with me on my expectations and questions, and there were many... I didn't want, nor did I really encounter any surprises that I'd attribute to anything done by the guys at PAC. Was it a crap-load of money? Yes. I had an engine-out service on a leaky complex 911 done, and then some. Would I do it again? Probably, the work I had done was well worth it (I think) and addressed a lot of issues on my particular car.

I'm happy to answer any questions if anyone has them, as a counterpoint to piling on in this thread I myself would recommend this shop in the area (I'm in NE LA myself). As a summary of the work that they've done on my C4 (and I'm sure I'm forgetting some stuff)

- engine/trans out (leaking oil out of the cam chain housing covers like a KFC fryer)
- de-grease everything
- r&r some good used cam chain housings (supplied by me)
- r&r alternator fan & housing (I sourced good used ones, mine were delaminating or broken)
- fit new rennline valve covers top & bottom (original magnesium was far gone)
- trans selector seal
- plugs, belts, valve adjustment, fluids
- A/C check/recharge
- new clutch
- new pressure plate
- install new hardware/gaskets/etc. and reinstall engine/trans.
- repack cv on rear axle shaft
- r&r front axle shaft
- fit new engine sound pad
- install new rear bilsteins & springs
- got my tires swapped over to some used fifteen52 Tarmacs, tires mounted and balanced and refit on car
- took the car down to West End Alignment once the suspension was done

Also, not mechanical, but Curt's body guy also addressed a broken weld and a small paint issue for me.

Again, this post is just my own (quite recent) experience with Pasadena Air Cooled and isn't meant to discount the issue that the OP is having. Hopefully my experience provides some useful info as we all look for places that can help us to continue enjoying our cars.

Old 12-26-2018, 12:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #165 (permalink)

Maybe you’ve just been lucky up till now LittleRedTarga.

Where there’s smoke there’s fire... and this shop has enough smoke signals to stay away from it.
Old 12-26-2018, 12:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #166 (permalink)

odd...
Old 12-26-2018, 12:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #167 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMS935 View Post
Maybe you’ve just been lucky up till now LittleRedTarga.

Where there’s smoke there’s fire... and this shop has enough smoke signals to stay away from it.
Like I said, I can only speak to my own experience. In this day and age as with any online reviews and opinions I find that it's usually the folks who have an issue or something that post anything at all (usually negative)... or those who receive exceptional above-and-beyond service (find this much less common). I was satisfied with the services I got at PAC so I wouldn't have posted anything really but for this thread and figured I'd share my experience as a counterpoint. I'll let everyone make up their own minds, but hope the folks at PAC and the OP resolve their issues to everyone's satisfaction.
Old 12-26-2018, 01:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #168 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleRedTarga View Post
Like I said, I can only speak to my own experience. In this day and age as with any online reviews and opinions I find that it's usually the folks who have an issue or something that post anything at all (usually negative)... or those who receive exceptional above-and-beyond service (find this much less common). I was satisfied with the services I got at PAC so I wouldn't have posted anything really but for this thread and figured I'd share my experience as a counterpoint. I'll let everyone make up their own minds, but hope the folks at PAC and the OP resolve their issues to everyone's satisfaction.
Thanks for sharing and nice 964.
Old 12-26-2018, 02:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #169 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
You should really start your own thread instead of inserting yourself uninvited into the OP's grievance. How does it help ?

Having said that, looks like you spent a ****load on what amounts to replacing the cam and housing covers. Not surprised your mechanic's a happy camper.

Last edited by pmax; 12-26-2018 at 05:37 PM..
Old 12-26-2018, 05:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #170 (permalink)

Yah, I should just pile on by looking for Curt's other posts about Rennsport passes and comment on his Pelican membership. That'd be way more helpful.

Quote:
You should really start your own thread instead of inserting yourself uninvited into the OP's grievance. How does it help ?

Having said that, looks like you spent a ****load on what amounts to replacing the cam and housing covers. Not surprised your mechanic's a happy camper.
Old 12-26-2018, 06:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #171 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Yah, I should just pile on by looking for Curt's other posts about Rennsport passes and comment on his Pelican membership. That'd be way more helpful.
Given you are great pals with the dude, try mediating. That will be helpful to nathanbs.
Old 12-26-2018, 08:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #172 (permalink)
Glad you were “lucky” to have a polar opposite experience than I did. How or why is a mystery to me unless it was after me and they were on their best behavior with you? Otherwise I have no clue how it is even possible. Take the financials out of the picture. Caleb did a piss poor job on my car. Attempted to “resurface” my valve covers with no sign of resurfacing and put a bunch of sealant in an attempt to solve leaky valve covers. Result: leaked worse than when I brought it in. Solution: paid next mechanic less money than charged by Pasadena Air cooled to replace valve covers. Leaks solved. Allegedly did a “valve job” however one rocker shaft was almost completely out? Clicking in reverse. Caleb replaced cv boot and repacked with grease. Noise was still present. Solution: e-Brake cable rubbing. I don’t know what his background is besides dismantling at LA porsche dismantlers but I’m not impressed by his abilities. I do believe Caleb knows he screwed up by not communicating with me and not asking me for my approval before doing costly repairs and if it were up to him he would have worked it out with me however Curt came in and f’d it all up as he’s an *******. The crazy thing is that even if they charged me half as much money I would have been back the next day complaining that everything they supposedly did is falling apart and that my door is keyed. So even if Curt wasn’t there to blow up the day I picked it up I’m sure **** would have hit the fan the next day.
Old 12-26-2018, 09:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #173 (permalink)
Update: even though a postponement was requested because Caleb couldn’t be present for court he was there in person requesting the postponement?? What the actual f? Well at least he was there for the first three hours but then disappeared. When the judge finally heard the postponement request another employee of Curt’s was there and the judge granted it despite the fact Curt should have and could have been present but of course I expected no less from such a scum bag. I know for a fact that sending me a postponement letter on Friday sent from Pasadena aircooled with what appeared to be an official court document postponing the trial was a sneaky attempt to get me not to show up to court the following Monday. If I didn’t show they would have won by default. Who even knows these sort of things?

Last edited by nathanbs; 12-27-2018 at 07:09 AM..
Old 12-26-2018, 09:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #174 (permalink)
Quote:

Quote:
It’s ok I appreciate bumping the thread. It’s been pretty dead lately
Old 12-26-2018, 09:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #175 (permalink)
Mighty Meatlocker Turbo

***forum thread bumpus***
Old 12-26-2018, 10:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #176 (permalink)

Garage
LittleRedTarga,
What made you bring your car to PAC, considering you were aware of the history and drama, and that you have so many choices of 911 shops in the CA area?
Old 12-27-2018, 04:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #177 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanbs View Post
Glad you were “lucky” to have a polar opposite experience than I did. How or why is a mystery to me unless it was after me and they were on their best behavior with you? Otherwise I have no clue how it is even possible. Take the financials out of the picture. Caleb did a piss poor job on my car. Attempted to “resurface” my valve covers with no sign of resurfacing and put a bunch of sealant in an attempt to solve leaky valve covers. Result: leaked worse than when I brought it in. Solution: paid next mechanic less money than charged by Pasadena Air cooled to replace valve covers. Leaks solved. Allegedly did a “valve job” however one rocker shaft was almost completely out? Clicking in reverse. Caleb replaced cv boot and repacked with grease. Noise was still present. Solution: e-Brake cable rubbing. I don’t know what his background is besides dismantling at LA porsche dismantlers but I’m not impressed by his abilities. I do believe Caleb knows he screwed up by not communicating with me and not asking me for my approval before doing costly repairs and if it were up to him he would have worked it out with me however Curt came in and f’d it all up as he’s an *******. The crazy thing is that even if they charged me half as much money I would have been back the next day complaining that everything they supposedly did is falling apart and that my door is keyed. So even if Curt wasn’t there to blow up the day I picked it up I’m sure **** would have hit the fan the next day.

Like I said, hope you get this resolved to your satisfaction. Maybe I got really lucky the past year, but for whatever it's worth, my experience with LA Dismantler is less than positive (which seems to align with fellow Pelicans). Good luck.
Old 12-27-2018, 05:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #178 (permalink)

IMO, it makes sense to learn from one's experiences......
Old 12-27-2018, 07:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #179 (permalink)

Any shop that doesn’t bother registering their business with the state until forced to do so in order to file an appearance to defend themselves in state court; is definitely a shop to stay away from.

Even if one might have reservations about Nathan’s own experience, for no other reason than PAC’s years of operating illegally should be reason enough to avoid it like the plague.
Old 12-27-2018, 07:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #180 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: