Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Classified Ads > Porsche Marketplace Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Buying and Selling parts

First off I would like to say that I really like this community. The knowledge that gets shared is priceless. I thank Wayne for hosting us too. Now with that said.....What's up with the frugality of some of the members. I am not a man of wealth but I also know my hobby is not as cheap as Yugo's. I like to post parts on here that I feel some would like to purchase. I also enjoy looking for and buying parts. But some guys just want to beat a seller down. I don't mind knocking a few dollars off from time to time but some want to win at every transaction. Sellers have to pack the item, drive to the shipper while trying to provide fast shipping, yet some buyers have very short arms and can't seem to reach their pockets for that little bit of extra cash to make the deal happen. I recently put a rare item for $125.00 + shipping (I could have asked for more money). I received a pm for an offer of $100.00 shipped..really? The next member offered full price no questions asked. I don't understand why would anyone pass on a hard to find item for $25.00 (+shipping)..knowing damn well that it's worth more. Honestly I find it quite intriguing. Don't get me wrong I will ask for a discount too when the item is common but when it's rare or hard to find..I rarely do...
Old 08-31-2018, 05:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Blow it off like a paper hat.

I just sold(this week) a, what I think is rare, an all-original 73.5 wiring harness that was uncut and unplayed with. I paid $165 - and I asked $165. I was told it was a '74, but it was not. So I passed it on.

I got PMs from people who offered $80, $50, and even less. I thought this was nuts considering Dennis makes new ones for $750.

It sold, but really? I've always got a fair shake here, and I like to pass it on always. Most, if not all, transactions on here have been very fair, but as of late there seems to be an air of cheapness.
Old 08-31-2018, 05:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
gearhead

I always post my parts as a "shipped in the lower 48" price. It seems to go more smoothly because I don't need to get a quote to close the deal and get paid.

Though invariably the guy will tell me the best cheapest shipping method even though he hadn't been charged separate shipping.

There are some "vendors" here who will always liw ball because they want meat on the bone for resale. I've blocked a couple of those guys over the years.
Old 08-31-2018, 05:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
devalued member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Monson View Post
I always post my parts as a "shipped in the lower 48" price. It seems to go more smoothly because I don't need to get a quote to close the deal and get paid.

Though invariably the guy will tell me the best cheapest shipping method even though he hadn't been charged separate shipping.

There are some "vendors" here who will always liw ball because they want meat on the bone for resale. I've blocked a couple of those guys over the years.
ive learned a ton over the years selling and buying here. often the ones trying to beat you down are dealers of salvaged parts that are trying to get your product on the cheap to flip. you will learn about this when said dealer uses your photos for his new add looking for 20% more than you were asking.

additionally I don't have enough fingers on two hands to count the sellers that have done me wrong or I have read legit threads of others having a bad experience that I will not do business with. there is only one regular seller that I take exception too over really a $100 or so dispute that would have been easy for said regular seller to make right. had he I would have given ground instead of PM WTB adds he replies to with a heads up. it's a jungle out here and I always pack my sales like my life depended on the part getting there as described....
78SC PRC Spec911(sold 12/15) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7I6HCCKrVQ

Last edited by juanbenae; 08-31-2018 at 07:12 PM..
Old 08-31-2018, 07:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Former Options Trader !!!

I agree with a lot of what's been said. There is no mystery in the value of most parts these days. If you price it fairly it will sell. Most of the low ballers are just guys who make a buck flipping parts. It's a business for them.
Old 09-02-2018, 09:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
It's a fascinating glimpse into people.

Low-balling is fine but I had one buyer, a long time member, who basically lied to me in order to beat down my price. Didn't realize it at that time but I found out later through my own research into the past archives here that the item was not "burnt" as he put it. Lesson learned.

Last edited by pmax; 09-02-2018 at 03:55 PM..
Old 09-02-2018, 03:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmax View Post
It's a fascinating glimpse into people.

Low-balling is fine but I had one buyer, a long time member, who basically lied to me in order to beat down my price. Didn't realize it at that time but I found out later through my own research into the past archives here that the item was not "burnt" as he put it. Lesson learned.
It's funny, I sold an item on ebay to a person who is a member here. He did not know that I was on here. He received my item in excellent condition. Two to three weeks later he tried to say that the item was unusable. I did know he was a reseller of many Porsche parts. I told him to send the part back and that I would inspect and compare it to the many photos I had, including many that I did not post. I also let him know that I knew he was a reseller of parts and that I was also a member on Pelican. I did state that I would call him out if it was a bait and switch. Needless to say he never contacted me again about the part.
Old 09-02-2018, 04:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
I think there are tons of parts flippers on PP.
Anyone ever sell something only to see it relisted on PP or Ebay?
Old 09-02-2018, 08:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
devalued member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarwood View Post
I think there are tons of parts flippers on PP.
Anyone ever sell something only to see it relisted on PP or Ebay?
you think im kidding about flipper using my photos? the guy dan who organizes the Monterey drive low balled me on a set of 9x16 genuine fuchs for his "project" story. it was easy enough, he was local, no need to ship, sold them for a fare fellow enthusiast price.

like two weeks later I see his add,, with my photos for the wheels with a significant mark up! he is not the tom, dick or harry I still grind the axe for though.

t
78SC PRC Spec911(sold 12/15) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7I6HCCKrVQ
Old 09-02-2018, 09:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
914-6Werkshop

If I agree to a sale price for a part, I really don't care what the buyer does with it. Once the transaction is done, its his part to do what he wants. If I see it flipped for a higher price, I figure i just got a better education to the price of the part or maybe how to market better. But in reality, I rarely follow up or care.
Old 09-03-2018, 08:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mepstein View Post
If I agree to a sale price for a part, I really don't care what the buyer does with it. Once the transaction is done, its his part to do what he wants. If I see it flipped for a higher price, I figure i just got a better education to the price of the part or maybe how to market better. But in reality, I rarely follow up or care.
The problem is the lying and deceit especially from these long time members. Every time that happens, the good feeling and vibe gets knocked down a little.
Old 09-03-2018, 10:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
914-6Werkshop

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmax View Post
The problem is the lying and deceit especially from these long time members. Every time that happens, the good feeling and vibe gets knocked down a little.
Iíve gotten way more good back on this site than itís cost me on lost dollar sales. Guys who I can pm or email when I have a question and need a good answer. Guys who find the part I need when I place a WTB and sell it to me for a reasonable price. Iíll take a hit once in a while. I get much more back. Same with 914world and earlySreg. Back when I was a teenager and started into 914ís, it was paging through magazines and making phone calls. So much easier now.
Old 09-03-2018, 11:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
^^^ Absolutely, lots of great folks here, donít mean to imply otherwise.
Old 09-03-2018, 07:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
I want to give other members here a good deal. I don’t need to make money off my used parts,but it did bother me to see the parts I sold here being flipped on the samba using my photos and a photo he took with the packaging I sent with my name and address visible. But other than that it’s been mostly great here.

'75 911s Targa
Old 09-03-2018, 08:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: