Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Classified Ads > Porsche Marketplace Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Dealer and PPI in Miami, FL

Hello,

I'm looking into a car from far away. I have 2 questions:

1) I'm wondering if people have had experience (good or bad) with dealing with Real Muscle Car in Miami? It looks like they have been selling porsches (aircooled and otherwise) for a while along with many others, but any insight is useful.

2) Does anyone have recommendation for PPI in Miami area for air-cooled Pcars?

Best,
Old 09-05-2018, 12:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Heard Parkhaus1 has a good rep. What ever you do make sure to fly in and inspect the car in person if you plan on buying from them. If you do a quick search on the forums/web you will see that dealer has a horrible rep. Best of luck.

https://rennlist.com/forums/911-forum/969414-how-mad-would-you-be-recent-purchase-experience.html
Old 09-05-2018, 01:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Former Options Trader !!!

I am of the opinion you can buy a car from anyone as long as you're smart about it. I would go see the car yourself, put your hands on it, drive it, inspect it make sure the whole situation passes the sniff test. This is a huge issue. Its easy to make cars look good in photos. Its easy to sound like a stand up guy on the phone. Take a look around when you get there. What's the place look like? Do they do their own work or are they the kind of place that flips a lot of cars and farms out anything the absolutely have to address.

Then pay for an independent PPI. Be careful who you choose to do the PPI. Some shops, in the past, have been exposed for working for the seller and not the buyer paying for the PPI.

RMC has been well discussed here and on Rennlist. Take what you want from that, GO SEE the car if your're serious.

Which car are you looking at? Reasonable chance someone here knows something about it.
Old 09-05-2018, 02:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I looked at a car at RMC that was absolutely supposed to be original paint....i put a paint meter on it and almost every panel was repainted....i could tell with out the meter but the owner actually was arguing with me that i didn't know how to look at a car to spot repaints.....be careful.......dont buy without looking at it
1975 Carrera #116 3.6 guards red sold
1980 911sc Talbot Yellow got back!! 1978 911sc 3.6 Sold
1996 993 tt white Sold. 1997 993tt red Sold 1986 930 sold
1986 491 Prussian blue sold 2002 tt white sold
1996 993tt adventurine/gray 1987 carrera with a 3.8
Old 09-05-2018, 03:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by specialtyoneinc View Post
Heard Parkhaus1 has a good rep. What ever you do make sure to fly in and inspect the car in person if you plan on buying from them. If you do a quick search on the forums/web you will see that dealer has a horrible rep. Best of luck.

https://rennlist.com/forums/911-forum/969414-how-mad-would-you-be-recent-purchase-experience.html
Thanks for that. 2 bad yelp reviews out of 3 doesnt tell me much, and searching for RMC or real muscle doesnt really pull too much up - all to often i see people that dont want to say who they deal with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trader220 View Post
I am of the opinion you can buy a car from anyone as long as you're smart about it. I would go see the car yourself, put your hands on it, drive it, inspect it make sure the whole situation passes the sniff test. This is a huge issue. Its easy to make cars look good in photos. Its easy to sound like a stand up guy on the phone. Take a look around when you get there. What's the place look like? Do they do their own work or are they the kind of place that flips a lot of cars and farms out anything the absolutely have to address.

Then pay for an independent PPI. Be careful who you choose to do the PPI. Some shops, in the past, have been exposed for working for the seller and not the buyer paying for the PPI.

RMC has been well discussed here and on Rennlist. Take what you want from that, GO SEE the car if your're serious.

Which car are you looking at? Reasonable chance someone here knows something about it.
A) how do you deal with rennlist? I cant even open a tab without every ad in the world pummeling me and computer starts hyperventilating.
B) one of the questions is about PPI, they wont stay open on weekends or evenings with the PPI place I originally contacted, so looking for others that are not who they suggested.
Old 09-05-2018, 03:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by specialtyoneinc View Post

Parkhaus1 recently changed hands, so whatever good rep they had may have left with the old owner. I’m not saying anything bad at all about the shop or the new ownership, I just have no experience with them yet. They could be just as good to deal with, but I believe the head mechanic also left with Al when he sold the shop. I’ve been one to recommend that shop on here before, thus why I felt the need to mention this. Those previous recommendations were made based on people that are no longer there.

Azael Motorsport is in the vicinity of RMC, I think they are fairly close, you could try using them. I’ve got them doing a PPI for a 930 I’m getting ready to sell right now. They have a thorough checklist for their PPI report as well, which many shops don’t seem to have. If you’re open to going outside of Miami, Gulf Performance up in Pompano Beach has been servicing my 930s for years. They are a really good air cooled mechanic shop.
Old 09-05-2018, 03:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

I have seen several unscrupulous sales by RMC and it seems some of the local shops are complicit and or lax with their PPI’s. If you’re serious you need to see the car in person and I would bring someone from outside the Miami area to have the car properly inspected.

2011 Boxster Spyder, Sport Buckets, MT, Full Leather, PSE
1990 964 C2 Targa, MT, Stone Grey, Cashmer

Last edited by Marine Blue; 09-05-2018 at 07:49 PM..
Old 09-05-2018, 07:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marine Blue View Post
I have seen several unscrupulous sales by RMC and it seems some of the local shops are complicit and or lax with their PPI’s. If you’re serious you need to see the car in person and I would bring someone from outside the Miami area to have the car properly inspected.
Outside the Miami area...that's a pretty bold and blanket statement don't you think? Maybe you've had an issue with RMC, or another dealer in particular, but to anoint the entire city of Miami unscrupulous is probably a bit uncalled for.
Old 09-06-2018, 10:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Aliimam - please steer clear of RMC - my buddy recently purchased a 911 from them - has been a complete disaster. He has an instagram feed of the situation - I will dig that up

Here is the link

https://www.instagram.com/p/BnZ3PqJnvpj/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=c7ulmfdd62vi

Last edited by mcartler; 09-07-2018 at 08:43 AM..
Old 09-07-2018, 08:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcartler View Post
Aliimam - please steer clear of RMC - my buddy recently purchased a 911 from them - has been a complete disaster. He has an instagram feed of the situation - I will dig that up

Here is the link

https://www.instagram.com/p/BnZ3PqJnvpj/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=c7ulmfdd62vi
Wow. Not surprised, but Wow.
Old 09-07-2018, 09:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcartler View Post

Here is the link

Just to set the story straight... Your friend Herald had a independent PRE PURCHASE INSPECTION.During INSPECTION Customer was NOTIFIED that the car had rust on the under carriage and sent this photograph showing it.

HERALD proceeded to STILL purchase the car KNOWINGLY with some rust on the under carriage and now is trying to EXTORT $10,000 from RMC Miami for repairs on his vehicle that he already knew about. He has proceeded to SLANDER RMC for this situation and will be dealt with accordingly.
Old 09-07-2018, 11:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
^^^ Have to side with RMC here.

Buyer is out of line.
Old 09-07-2018, 12:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by autpet2 View Post
Just to set the story straight... Your friend Herald had a independent PRE PURCHASE INSPECTION.During INSPECTION Customer was NOTIFIED that the car had rust on the under carriage and sent this photograph showing it.

HERALD proceeded to STILL purchase the car KNOWINGLY with some rust on the under carriage and now is trying to EXTORT $10,000 from RMC Miami for repairs on his vehicle that he already knew about. He has proceeded to SLANDER RMC for this situation and will be dealt with accordingly.
Was the agreed upon purchase price negotiated lower after this rust discovery? If the claims are that the car was advertised as rust free, but then the PPI mechanic notified the prospective buyer of this rust prior to purchase...then the price either should’ve been adjusted down accordingly, OR, buyer should’ve walked away from the deal (only being out the PPI costs at that point).

What are we missing here?
Old 09-07-2018, 12:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMS935 View Post
Was the agreed upon purchase price negotiated lower after this rust discovery? If the claims are that the car was advertised as rust free, but then the PPI mechanic notified the prospective buyer of this rust prior to purchase...then the price either should’ve been adjusted down accordingly, OR, buyer should’ve walked away from the deal (only being out the PPI costs at that point).

What are we missing here?
Yes customer haggled... PRICE was LOWERED $1,500 Dollars as per customers REQUEST POST PPI
Old 09-07-2018, 01:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

That is an egregious amount of rust for a car to be advertised as "rust free". This strongly suggests that RMC knowingly misrepresented the car. Regardless of the fracas that is ensuing with the buyer and the debate about who said what when, this is a glaring red flag that RMC is not to be trusted.

I'm glad I listened to the warnings when I was considering buying a car from there a few weeks ago.
Old 09-07-2018, 01:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by autpet2 View Post
Yes customer haggled... PRICE was LOWERED $1,500 Dollars as per customers REQUEST POST PPI
That's part of the problem when buying an old used car from afar and relying upon someone else to put eyes on it for you. There is always going to be some give between what someone tells you and what your actual expectation of it is. "Bad" to one person might have a totally different meaning to another.

That's the risk with buying a car like this. I'm guilty of it myself, having bought from afar and relied upon the PPI solely without seeing it for myself until taking delivery. Then, for example, receiving it and seeing all the rock chips and thinking that the paint is in much worse condition than I was made aware of, but then I refer back to the PPI report and see they clearly notated the rock chips. It's just worse than I interpreted it, or expected it. Had I laid eyes on it myself before finalizing the deal, I would've negotiated the price down. That's just one example. It comes down to each persons interpretation of relative based words sometimes since you're relying upon someone else to describe the condition to you. There is always this risk of miscommunication or misunderstanding when discussing condition of used cars (or anything not new for that matter). This will always be a potential problem when buying any used item sight unseen.

The rust definitely should've been disclosed beforehand if the seller knew about it, but the buyer had been informed of the rust prior to the purchase. It seems (to me) that the gripe here is that they just weren't expecting it to be so bad, and now they feel (or was quoted) that it's a 10k repair instead of the $1500 originally negotiated off of the purchase price.

I hope you guys can work it out...
Old 09-07-2018, 01:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Garage
If what RMC/autpet2 is saying is true about the picture, the buyer asked for and received a $1500 adjustment. Shame on the buyer for moving forward. Just dumb.

I can't believe people still purchase cars sight unseen these days and then have the gaul to complain about the crappy deal they got.

Lazy. Nay, stupid. I side with neither here, but who does this kind of stuff and expects a win/win?
(I don't list the cars I've sold, because they're gone)
Old 09-07-2018, 02:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACK3.2 View Post
That is an egregious amount of rust for a car to be advertised as "rust free". This strongly suggests that RMC knowingly misrepresented the car. Regardless of the fracas that is ensuing with the buyer and the debate about who said what when, this is a glaring red flag that RMC is not to be trusted.

I'm glad I listened to the warnings when I was considering buying a car from there a few weeks ago.
Most of the rust is from under the battery tray where clearly the battery leaked out considering this car is 37 YEARS OLD.

RMC would not knowingly misrepresent a car. The car was advertised as the body being rust free with a carfax accident photos showing the hood not being aligned.

Car was INSPECTED by a third party which we are ok with getting any of our Porsches inspected by any Porsche certified independent shop.
Old 09-07-2018, 02:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Just another example why it's crucial to fly in and inspect the car in person.

I assume this is the car in question?

1981 Porsche 911 SC Full Engine/ Transmission Rebuild, paint to sample Pastel Yellow, full records | Real Muscle | Exotic & Classic Cars for Sale
Old 09-07-2018, 03:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
Former Options Trader !!!

Without first hand knowledge of this particular transaction its hard to know what really happened.
There are three sides to every story... his, hers and the truth.

The Instagram photo shows a large chunk of rotted steel. The dealers photo shots an underbody shot of corrosion. I don't see where that chunk came from or could have come from.

In all fairness to RMC the forum member who posted, was telling about a "friends" experience and thats his one and only post as a member.

Although...

The rennlist story on the 1989 930 purchased there is pretty ugly.
Old 09-07-2018, 04:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: