Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Classified Ads > Porsche Marketplace Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Beware of Scam from hacked Members

I have a wanted ad up for some 911 wheels. A scammer has hacked into another member's account and taken over the communication. The PM comes in from a fellow member but it's actually a scammer that has tied their email to the account. They ask to take all communication off Pelican Parts and then use photos from other sellers to lure you into sending them money to complete the transaction.

Fortunately, I noticed the photos were from another seller and the member they hacked was actually not very active (on Pelican Parts) and was into 944's. Things didn't add up and so I was able to find the email of the hacked account and he verified he did not have any wheels for sale. He immediately changed his password so he should be fine.

The scammer who was communicating fraudulently was Ed Niang with an email of delta688@yahoo.com (very suspicious email address for an enthusiast.)

Please be aware and change your passwords often.
Old 09-05-2018, 04:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Thanks for the post. I was contacted by this email address yesterday, user led016. There werenít any typical grammar red flags on the outset. Lucky for me there was no further contact after providing them with my junk email address. I fear that the classifieds here are becoming almost too risky.

Strong passwords would help here. Simple letter+number combinations arenít enough anymore.
Old 09-05-2018, 04:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Thank you both for bringing this to our attention. I just checked and user led016 is still a Registered user. I went through their posts and nothing seemed too suspicious. Are we thinking someone took over this guy's account?
Old 09-06-2018, 04:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

That's correct, someone hacked the account or cloned it. I already contacted the owner of the account and he changed his PW. It's a shame that the crooks have moved into enthusiast forums where cost of items are high and the parts are rare. What caught my attention is most of led016 posts were about a 2 series BMW and 944, nothing about vintage 911. The crook that hacked his account offered to ship wheels and tires for $40 total (red flag.) The key is, if it's too good to be true......
Old 09-06-2018, 08:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: