Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Classified Ads > Porsche Marketplace Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 3.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMS935 View Post
Then act on it, cause you’ve now notified the entire community about it. It took me a whole two minutes to find it. Good luck, I hope it turns out well, whether you choose to heed my advice regarding the PPI or not.
You’re good, took me 3-1/2 minutes to find it. If I was only closer...

If that ‘hardtop’ is a Saratoga I’d like to buy it!
Old 09-07-2018, 07:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

But there is rarely ever a queue when you’re the first one to it. IF you weren’t the first person to the car when it’s this far under priced, then it would either be gone and sold, OR, it’d be locked into a contract with someone else while that guy is awaiting the results of the PPI. The first guy...if they act quick enough...can usually get it locked into a contract before the seller ever finds out about the queue. That’s the idea. Thus why I said to act quick with the contract and deposit, and then take a deep breath and get it inspected. It can be done. It might be less likely to now on this particular car since the OP advertised the deal here before he had it locked down, but normally it’s simple to do.
Old 09-07-2018, 07:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornerlot View Post
You’re good, took me 3-1/2 minutes to find it. If I was only closer...

If that ‘hardtop’ is a Saratoga I’d like to buy it!
Thanks. I might’ve gotten a bit lucky, but the OP left a very telling bread crumb to locate it. Who knows what the seats really look like, it’s kinda silly to run an add with seat covers. Hopefully they’re in good condition.

I sure hope the OP doesn’t miss it after this thread! If he does, it wouldn’t be me, I promise. I don’t do skinny normally aspirated 911s. I like ‘em wide and with a punch. My motto is go boost or go bust. No matter how good a deal it is, I wouldn’t bother with it.
Old 09-07-2018, 07:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Thanks. I might’ve gotten a bit lucky, but the OP left a very telling bread crumb to locate it. Who knows what the seats really look like, it’s kinda silly to run an add with seat covers. Hopefully they’re in good condition.

I sure hope the OP doesn’t miss it after this thread! If he does, it wouldn’t be me, I promise. I don’t do skinny normally aspirated 911s. I like ‘em wide and with a punch. My motto is go boost or go bust. No matter how good a deal it is, I wouldn’t bother with it.
If someone wants to see this post and try to early bird me that's up to them. I'm not worried about it. It's an aircooled 911 which is cool and all but my life was fine yesterday without it and it will be fine next week if I don't get the car. Not a big deal. I'm not trying to out muscle anyone here and was just looking for some friendly advice.

1984 911 coupe
Old 09-07-2018, 08:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathans_Dad View Post
If someone wants to see this post and try to early bird me that's up to them. I'm not worried about it. It's an aircooled 911 which is cool and all but my life was fine yesterday without it and it will be fine next week if I don't get the car. Not a big deal. I'm not trying to out muscle anyone here and was just looking for some friendly advice.
And that's all I gave you...

Keep us posted.
Old 09-07-2018, 08:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Monson View Post
That car won’t be there in the morning. Go tonight.

As for that contract with the ppi built in? I’d laugh you off my property. It’s not some six figure collectible. As-is. If you can get a ppi done before someone else buys my car more power to you but i’m not doing any contingent sale on anything v
Exactly.
Do your own due diligence. Bring your mechanic or best Porsche buddy with you. Flashlights, magnets whatever. PPI's are modern conveniences. A seat of the pants inspection with a good set of eyes and ears worked wonders for almost a century.
GLWS.
(I don't list the cars I've sold, because they're gone)
Old 09-08-2018, 06:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Just buy it ... if you don't like just flip it.. prob make a few bucks to boot..

when finding a good deal dont tell the forum.. i have lost a few great cars in the past asking for advise from a car forum good luck..

Last edited by 991gts6s; 09-08-2018 at 06:48 AM..
Old 09-08-2018, 06:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)

Garage
Update:

Called him at 7:30 this morning, no answer. Got voicemail. He said he may be flying this morning if it wasn't raining and wouldn't be back until 11 . So I called again at 8:30, voicemail. he called me back at 8:45 and said someone had just showed up and handed him $20k cash.

A little frustrating in that I called him yesterday morning early, was told he had someone coming out to look at it and to call back at 1 which I did, no answer. Then last night he tells me to call him at 11 AM and I call early to make sure he isn't available earlier and he has sold the car to someone else.

Oh well, someone got a steal on that car. I wouldn't have been able to produce $20k cash on a Saturday anyway. My guess is a professional flipper or dealer bought it.

The other significant possibility is that the seller got a clue that he was not asking enough for the car given the level of interest and has decided to pull the car off the market and sell it for more later. The ad is already off craigslist.

1984 911 coupe

Last edited by Nathans_Dad; 09-08-2018 at 07:13 AM..
Old 09-08-2018, 06:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathans_Dad View Post
I predict you have no idea of my intentions.

What is it about the internet that gives people the idea it's ok to be a jerk to others?

By the way, there are massive thunderstorms in the area and flash flood warnings so maybe not the best time to test drive a targa?
I've walked many friends through the car buying process, and
it's easy to recognize when a person is keyboard shopping vs. ready to pounce.

The person ready to buy has $30k in cash at home, waiting.

You simply stumbled onto a deal, but are not ready to act.
The very act of starting this thread shows you are not going to buy the car.

You are looking to be talked out of it, and also making excuses.
And there's nothing wrong with that because, let's be honest, you're not a serious buyer.
No need to get defensive. You already have a car, and don't need another one.
Everyone gets excited about finding a deal, nothing wrong with that!

It's raining? At $20k it will be sold during a Cat 4 hurricane without a test drive, if it simply starts up.

When you have the $20k car in your driveway, I will admit I was wrong.
Otherwise, I was correct. Stating the truth is not being a jerk.

Quote:
Do people really keep 20k under their mattress waiting for these to pop up? .
Once a buyer has lost out on 1 or 2 cars to professional flippers,
and the car is already sold before he's home from work,
yes, yes, they do.

Last edited by sugarwood; 09-08-2018 at 07:10 AM..
Old 09-08-2018, 06:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)

This unfortunately is a classic tale if you want it, buy it, right away. Don't wait for an appointment the next day, don't wait for a PPI, don't bring paperwork and a deposit talking about how you will gladly pay him Tuesday for a ppi tomorrow. Because if you do these things the guy behind you won't.
The alternative is to buy a car for regular price and do all your due diligence, there is safety in that, but you aren't going to get the smoking deal that way. The car that you just saw sell for $20,000, you can gladly pay $30,000 for after the ppi, trip to the bank, and all the other details, because you will probably be buying it from a flipper, who's gonna drive all night and knock on the guy's door at 5AM with a bag of cash.

So no don't drive with a deposit and a contract, if you want the car, because the guy behind you will have neither.

----Adam

356 Registry 17369
Early 911S Registry
912 Registry, PCA
Old 09-08-2018, 06:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarwood View Post
Stating the truth is not being a jerk.
First of all your version of my truth isn't true. Well except for the part where I don't have $30k sitting under a mattress which is true. I disagree with you that you can't be a serious buyer without $30k cash sitting in your house but YMMV.

Secondly, it's not what you state that makes you come across as a jerk, it's the way you choose to state it.

Have a nice day.

1984 911 coupe

Last edited by Nathans_Dad; 09-08-2018 at 07:14 AM..
Old 09-08-2018, 07:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)

Garage
Rick, after a while the patterns become very clear, particularly from the outside, that's all.
For example, see the deja vu I had from the ItzaMe saga (spent 2 years shopping and chasing leads)
Yes, if you want a deal, having $30k in cash is a sine qua non

------------------------

Last edited by sugarwood; 09-08-2018 at 07:37 AM..
Old 09-08-2018, 07:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)

Yup ... you snooze you lose with Pcars deals..

Plus .if you really do like old cool cars you absolutely must have cash under the mattress or you will NEVER get one.. unless it retail price and PPI and etc etc..
Old 09-08-2018, 07:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)

But there is a lot of risk at throwing caution to the wind and buying it, no matter what. This story is just such a story, in order to beat everyone out, you have to say yes, no matter what. The results were not what I had hoped....

---Adam

356 Registry 17369
Early 911S Registry
912 Registry, PCA
Old 09-08-2018, 07:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)

Craigslist is the worst place to try and buy any cult car. Once you have seen it so have hundreds of others. Seller gets tons of calls and any “I called/texted/emailed the seller first” place in line holds are gone. Cash in hand is what makes you first in line.
Old 09-08-2018, 07:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)
Former Options Trader !!!

For twenty grand you just buy it. No ppi show up with cashipping and a trailer
Old 09-08-2018, 07:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarwood View Post
Rick, after a while the patterns become very clear, particularly from the outside, that's all.
For example, see the deja vu I had from the ItzaMe saga (spent 2 years shopping and chasing leads)
Yes, if you want a deal, having $30k in cash is a sine qua non
I don't know about any ItzaMe saga but maybe I'll read the thread if I have insomnia some night.

Here's the reality, I am in the market for a 996 to knock around in. I bought my 1984 coupe about 6 years ago when the market was not what it is now. My car is now worth more than double what I paid. I know what the going rate is for an air cooled car now and happened to see what I thought was a crazy steal on craigslist while skimming for 996s.

My target vehicle is not one that would require $30k cash under the mattress, 996s are widely available and you can take your time and get the car you really want, similar to what the air cooled market was when I bought my 1984 coupe. So, I didn't have cash on hand. If I were really after an air cooled car then you are likely right, having the cash on hand would be best. That was not my situation nor my intended target. This thing simply fell into my lap off of craigslist and I was trying to get some friendly advice on this forum as to whether the market for a 1988 targa was still what I thought it was and whether I was correct in thinking there would be enough room on a $20k car to be able to absorb something like a top end or a rebuilt transmission and still be in good shape. Thus my question about whether a PPI was still "mandatory" prior to purchase (as it was when I bought my last air cooled car).

Anyhow, I learned a few lessons and either: 1). Someone got a great deal on this car, 2). There is something seriously wrong with the car and the seller knows it and the buyer will know it soon or 3). the seller figured out that his price was way low based on the amount of interest and decided to pull it off the market and relist it later.

At any rate, I'll keep looking for a 996 and if I ever see another air cooled car come up at this price I will swoop down on it like a ninja, lol.

1984 911 coupe

Last edited by Nathans_Dad; 09-08-2018 at 08:06 AM..
Old 09-08-2018, 08:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)

+1 I’m after a 996 as well.
Old 09-08-2018, 08:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #38 (permalink)

996 is one of the Best 911 made.. Drove one for over 10yrs,. just sold it for more then I paid
Never left me stuck, no weird running either.. Cold AC, good smelling heat and a great radio.. .
proper everyday sports car
Old 09-08-2018, 08:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #39 (permalink)

Sorry to hear you missed it Rick. I don’t keep 20k under my mattress either, then again I’m not a car flipper scouring the local for sale ads. It sounds like maybe you simply got beat out by a pro, which isn’t surprising with or without this thread.
Old 09-08-2018, 08:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #40 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: