Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Classified Ads > Porsche Marketplace Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 3.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

What you experienced is the worst part- the over night wait. By morning time the car in question is usually gone. Lost out on a few cars because of that.
Old 09-08-2018, 07:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #41 (permalink)
gearhead

Sorry to hear you missed the car, though as you said you weren't looking. You'll find your 996. They are good cars. I'd like to grab a C4 cab w/hardtop when I'm done with my Cayman project.
Old 09-08-2018, 10:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #42 (permalink)
Former Options Trader !!!

I looked at 2 different 996 C4 cabs this summer. I regret not pulling the trigger. At the prices of these cars IMO you'd be hard pressed to find a more fun DD.
Old 09-08-2018, 10:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #43 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unobtanium-inc View Post
The results were not what I had hoped....
Karma is a *****, aint it?
Old 09-08-2018, 11:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #44 (permalink)

Garage
Just a few points:

I'm not a flipper, either. I own multiple 911's (air cooled and water cooled) plus several 914's. Occasionally I may sell one that I feel doesn't fit my "collection". That being said, Yes, I do keep a large amount of cash on hand in case a great deal pops up. You have to have the tools if you have to compete with the dealers/flippers

As others have posted multiple times, if you (newbies excepted) post on here before you get the car you'll get no sympathy from me if someone gets "your" car. Snakes abound on this forum and others just waiting for someone to slip up.

As I posted on another forum:

There are several types of (insert collector car here) buyers:
1. Tire kickers - fantasize about a car but never take action. They spend a lot of time and emotional energy (and use up other peoples time) but never buy. No car is ever right. A lot of them place WTB ads on the forums then basically disappear

2. Timid buyers (chicken *****s) - These are the guys who over analyze everything, worry about the price, and waffle over the decision. Once someone else buys the car they realize it was a good deal and then whine on the forums about how they could have had that car but someone else bought it out from under them

3. Flippers/Dealers - No explanation needed. They are quick to move on properly priced cars and snatch them up...usually pissing off the chicken *****s. The dealers don't post...most just lurk while others find and post cars the dealer winds up buying

4. Informed and Decisive buyers - Buyers who have been looking for a while, have done their research and realize that no 40+ year old car is perfect. When a decent car comes along they jump in and buy it. They post about that car AFTER it's sitting in their garage

They may be other types but this sums up what I see on a regular basis.

What does this have to do with this thread? It's a warning to prospective buyers. If you are serious, put a deposit on the car if it's far away and get off your ass. Waiting on a PPI on a car priced way under market car guarantees someone like me or a dealer will get there first.

Last edited by billh1963; 09-08-2018 at 11:29 AM..
Old 09-08-2018, 11:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #45 (permalink)

i have been reading the forums and lots of number 2 posting.. lol
Old 09-08-2018, 11:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #46 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Monson View Post
Sorry to hear you missed the car, though as you said you weren't looking. You'll find your 996. They are good cars. I'd like to grab a C4 cab w/hardtop when I'm done with my Cayman project.
My, how the worm has turned. And 991gts6s says it's one of the best 911's ever made. A year or two ago you couldn't give these cars away. As the price goes down, interest piques up. Hmmm...

I've owned two of the car you seek Matt (and 3 996's total), both with hardtops. One C4 Cab and one C4S Cab. The C4 was the best color I've ever owned; Dark Teal Metallic. Try to find that color, anywhere! It literally changed hues in the sun as you walked around the car.

The hardtops are just a pain. They're hard to store, difficult to install repeatedly without scratching the cowl and pretty useless, really. The only reason I bought them was because my PCA chapter required them for DE's. Sad, but true.

My 996's never gave me a lick of trouble. On the other hand, I pulled up at the dry cleaner one day and saw my friend parked in front with his and what looked like the Exxon Valdez oil spill under his car.

Always liked them. Still do. Take care of the known issues and you're good to go.
(I don't list the cars I've sold, because they're gone)
Old 09-08-2018, 01:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #47 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarwood View Post
My Karma is actually pretty good, but when you roll the dice enough times, you aren't always going to win, that's just part of playing the game. If you can't take the hit when it happens, you shouldn't be in the ring.

---Adam

356 Registry 17369
Early 911S Registry
912 Registry, PCA
Old 09-08-2018, 02:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #48 (permalink)

Quote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1uYWYWPc9HU
Old 09-08-2018, 02:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #49 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYNick View Post
My, how the worm has turned.
Right?

The 996 was released 20 years ago.
Figure the typical 911 guy was 50 years old.
They were bashed for stupid things like "fried eggs" and "water pumper"
Like it matters that a car has a radiator, like 99% of cars on the road.

Those 50 years olds are now out of the game.
I doubt anyone ever argued that 996 was an empirically faster/better car.
Tons more power, and a little more weight. (2900 lbs vs 2700 lbs)

Every new model of a car always sucks, and "can't be worked on"
When the Ford Model A came out, I bet people said the same thing.
"Model T was the last REAL Ford"
Old 09-08-2018, 02:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #50 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by billh1963 View Post
Just a few points:

I'm not a flipper, either. I own multiple 911's (air cooled and water cooled) plus several 914's. Occasionally I may sell one that I feel doesn't fit my "collection". That being said, Yes, I do keep a large amount of cash on hand in case a great deal pops up. You have to have the tools if you have to compete with the dealers/flippers

As others have posted multiple times, if you (newbies excepted) post on here before you get the car you'll get no sympathy from me if someone gets "your" car. Snakes abound on this forum and others just waiting for someone to slip up.

As I posted on another forum:

There are several types of (insert collector car here) buyers:
1. Tire kickers - fantasize about a car but never take action. They spend a lot of time and emotional energy (and use up other peoples time) but never buy. No car is ever right. A lot of them place WTB ads on the forums then basically disappear

2. Timid buyers (chicken *****s) - These are the guys who over analyze everything, worry about the price, and waffle over the decision. Once someone else buys the car they realize it was a good deal and then whine on the forums about how they could have had that car but someone else bought it out from under them

3. Flippers/Dealers - No explanation needed. They are quick to move on properly priced cars and snatch them up...usually pissing off the chicken *****s. The dealers don't post...most just lurk while others find and post cars the dealer winds up buying

4. Informed and Decisive buyers - Buyers who have been looking for a while, have done their research and realize that no 40+ year old car is perfect. When a decent car comes along they jump in and buy it. They post about that car AFTER it's sitting in their garage

They may be other types but this sums up what I see on a regular basis.

What does this have to do with this thread? It's a warning to prospective buyers. If you are serious, put a deposit on the car if it's far away and get off your ass. Waiting on a PPI on a car priced way under market car guarantees someone like me or a dealer will get there first.
Truth.

Old 09-08-2018, 02:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #51 (permalink)

Garage
Just curious - (maybe I missed it) but what area (state) was this Targa located in?
Old 09-08-2018, 03:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #52 (permalink)

Quote:
Right?

The 996 was released 20 years ago.
Figure the typical 911 guy was 50 years old.
They were bashed for stupid things like "fried eggs" and "water pumper"
Like it matters that a car has a radiator, like 99% of cars on the road.

Those 50 years olds are now out of the game.
I doubt anyone ever argued that 996 was an empirically faster/better car.
Tons more power, and a little more weight. (2900 lbs vs 2700 lbs)

Every new model of a car always sucks, and "can't be worked on"
When the Ford Model A came out, I bet people said the same thing.
"Model T was the last REAL Ford"
Here is my take on the water cooled 911's. When I was in the market for a more modern Porsche a few years ago a 996 Annivarsary Edition popped up one town over from me, so I went to look at it. The first thing that was funny was I pulled up in my 356 and the guy asked, "Is that a Porsche?" I test drove the car and have to say it was underwhelming, sure it was quick but you lost almost all the animal aspect of the air cooled cars. I was telling a friend of mine this who has driven Porsches since they are new and he agreed, and he owns a 997. He said it only felt like a Porsche if you really really pushed it, if not it kind of felt like his wife's Jetta.
Another friend of mine who works for Porsche gave me his take, he said the 996 was the car the accountants built.
I didn't buy the 996 and came across my 993, which I can tell you is the finest Porsche I've ever driven, pure animal, bristling at times, but I also have AC. So the 996's are cheap for a number of reasons.
1. They sold a shiznit-ton of them.
2. They aren't as fun to drive as the 993, Carrera, or 964.
3. They are at the 20 year mark meaning lots of maintenance to be done. There was one at my local mechanics a few weeks ago, a 2001 convertible. The guy bragged he got it for $14,000! Well, his bill at the shop was at $7000 and climbing when I left, so he was already at $21,000, but it probably got worse.
Don't get me wrong, they are cool cars, and priced right, but you can't really compare them to the air-cooled cars, it's truly apples and oranges.

---Adam

356 Registry 17369
Early 911S Registry
912 Registry, PCA
Old 09-08-2018, 03:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #53 (permalink)

^ The only cool thing about the 996 is that you can get them dirt cheap and they do actually drive well (6spd only Not my taste in looks, but I have to admit they are starting to grow on me if set up correctly. If you're looking for affordable modern 911 I would recommend to spring for a 1st gen 997. Yeah they are a little more than a comparable 996 but a better car in all ways.
Old 09-08-2018, 05:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #54 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmax View Post
Here's what a pro carries.

Nope, only an amateur has to carry the gun. This is a pile that bought a 55 Speedster, no pistol needed.

---Adam

356 Registry 17369
Early 911S Registry
912 Registry, PCA
Old 09-08-2018, 07:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #55 (permalink)
Free Exams All November!

Buying without a PPO isn't a "rare case."

Lots of people routinely do it. I've bought a lot of used Porsches over the past 35 years. I think I've had a PPI done once.

My M.O. is to find great deals and show up with cash, ready to go. I think lots of buyers do that.
Old 09-08-2018, 08:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #56 (permalink)
Turbo Powered Snow Blower

Garage
PPI is reserved for market or above market cars. If you’re looking for a deal you better be prepared to roll the dice.
And don’t get pissed when you finally find the reason “you got a deal”.
Old 09-08-2018, 09:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #57 (permalink)

The way I see it unless you're Adam and you're a professional and make deals everyday (trying to beat out dubious suspects and characters at every turn and we know who they are - these characters will pay anything so another guy doesn't get it, even over market) - if a guy has a car and wants to do a gentlemanly deal by saying "This is what I am asking, this is what I want to get, if you are interested I will take a deposit and we'll work out the logistics this week (ie payment, paperwork, etc)," then I don't want to get involved with some emotional roller coaster of waiting and baiting and shenanigans.

There are plenty of cars out there. The above may sound naive, but cars do exist and owners do exist that still abide by the old rules of not having someone show up that day with a flatbed, stacks of money and packing heat. I can see when a '55 Speedster comes up that you have to do what you gotta do - but a '88 Carrera Targa with no history? Whatever.

I know I beat out BHCC for my car. It was on Craigs in Pomona, California. He was on the phone with BHCC when I showed up to get it. He told me BHCC called him every 30 minutes. He was a nice guy and let me have it. He could have went the other way. We were talking a whole $4900.

Sometimes you eat the bear or sometimes the bear eats you. In many ways, if it's meant to be it's meant to be (and I hate using that sentence, but sometimes it's true).
Old 09-09-2018, 04:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #58 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1979-930 View Post
PPI is reserved for market or above market cars. If you’re looking for a deal you better be prepared to roll the dice.
And don’t get pissed when you finally find the reason “you got a deal”.
Maybe that’s why it’s a must have for me, I’m not flipping 20k used cars, but collecting much rarer and more expensive models. There are fewer buyers up there, and their expectations are much higher, regardless of the car’s implied value to its asking price. Getting burned on a six figure car is far more costly than on a 20k one.
Old 09-09-2018, 05:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #59 (permalink)
gearhead

I was in the Subaru world for most of the 996 era, and my response to a water cooled Carrera was,"It's about time!" It was a long due modernization of the marque. They had fought it too long.

The IMS issues and 2nd gear pop out are chicken little issues, IMO. They were blown way out of proportion.

I want a hardtop can because I will drive it year round. The hassle of taking it off will happen once a year. It was the same with my Boxster. I took it off twice, for 4-5 months at a time. Only thing, other than power, that the Boxster lacked was AWD. I shopped 996 cabs when I was Boxster shopping. At the time I just wasn't willing to spend the extra $10-15k it was gonna cost me to get a nice one.

996s are an area where you follow Bruce Anderson's okd credo. Buy the newest nicest one you can afford. .2 cars are nicer and better, especially the bigger engine. C4S is the best of the breed.
Old 09-09-2018, 05:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #60 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: