Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Classified Ads > Porsche Marketplace Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

2.7 value

So, I just took delivery on a 77 911. I have a spare 930 motor Iíll be using so, I have no use for the 2.7
As the story goes the original motor shat the bed and this one was purchased as a running replacement. Itís complete with the exception of the fan, housing and alternator. The transmission is bolted up to it but I havenít decided weather or not Iíll sell it. I definitely wonít be using the motor. It does turn over by hand but thatís all I know. Thereís no records, compression test or leak down #s
It was stored indoors but you wouldnít know it by looking. Itís pretty crusty looking.
Not bad but surface rust on the tops of the fuel distributior bolts etc.
What kind of coin can I expect to get ?
Iím more interested in a quick painless sale than holding out for the last possible dollar.
Old 09-08-2018, 04:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
gearhead

I bought a similar engine 6 months ago for $2500 including shipping. I think I got a good deal. I would expect full retail to be more like $4-5k
2008 Cayman S Mule
Old 09-08-2018, 04:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Excellent, you need another Perhaps Iíll list it at $3500 and see what happens.
What can you tell me about the value of the transmission ? I believe itís original to the car. Same story as the motor though. No history or records. I was considering using it but somehow I think Iíll be better off selling it and using my spare 930 box. Itís a 82 so Iíll need to have it shortened. Is that something you can do Matt ? If so perhaps you can pm me. Either way, thanks for the quick response. Most appreciated.
Old 09-08-2018, 04:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
gearhead

Sorry mate, I don't do machine shop work. I don't even offer rebuilding services anymore. 100% manufacturing and sales these days.

That said, a 1982 930 is tough to shorten. The locating bosses for the engine case studs aren't continuous like a later 80s box. If you lop off the needed 1.1" you no longer have something to center the bolts. Some places will weld in new material and then through drill it, but it's messy work. I think Patrick Motorsports might do it. California Motorsports or Bill Rader Motorsports will not. Wasn't a service I ever offered. I don't think it's a good fix.

Personally I would rebuild and run the 915. For a street rod it's fine if you don't do any hard launches. If you wanted to do a "drag" launch you would just want to use 2nd gear. And with a well spooling turbo that isn't the old stock crap it's not an issue. Not a whole lot taller than a sotck 930 1st when it comes down to it.

If you want to PM me the type number and serial number off the engine I would consider it. If it's a 75 I might be interested for my targa, which currently runs a 2.2.
2008 Cayman S Mule
Old 09-10-2018, 02:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

OK, thanks for the insight. I didn’t realize the issues with the earlier boxes. I’ll probably run the 915
Old 09-12-2018, 01:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Looking for a 2.7

Whats the #?
Old 09-12-2018, 08:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: