Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Classified Ads > Porsche Marketplace Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 4.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
gearhead

Glad to hear G bodies are still strong. I was starting to stress about spending $10k reconditioning my 3.2 and scared I’m not gonna get it back.
2008 Cayman S Mule
Old 09-15-2018, 04:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)
Turbo Powered Snow Blower

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Monson View Post
Glad to hear G bodies are still strong. I was starting to stress about spending $10k reconditioning my 3.2 and scared Iím not gonna get it back.

Bull Shart

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-15-2018, 05:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansas View Post
BTW, ficke, you've got a darn nice line up of cars!
Thanks,
Once again friends are the best source for car deals.
I added a couple of mid year 911's that need light sorting, shocks, alternator, rubber grommet around tac., etc. for the 25K mark and less, to the line up of mine.
I was not looking, friend needing money was one, I bought that black 1977 Targa. The other was a 82 year old neighbor of another friend who was the second owner green 75 911S coupe and had the car for 38 years. Nice car.
I do not think the bubble burst, but the crazy, frantic buying is over and there is a lot more thoughtful purchases by buyers who seem to think more and do not want to throw their money away. It slowed down.

Last edited by ficke; 09-15-2018 at 08:09 PM..
Old 09-15-2018, 08:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

Garage
I think if you're in the 35-40K mark you will stand to lose money. I think with the extraordinarily high cost of engine refreshes and the lack of actual performance that these cars will cool for many of the spur buyers that realize that the reality doesn't hold up to the idea sometimes.

While very well sorted low mile cars will stay strong, all the rest I think will cool a good deal, which for folks like me will suck, but I accept that life generally sucks soooo. On the up side maybe we'll finally get some relief on used 3.6 engines instead of the 15K for a well used engine in need of a 15K refresh lol
Old 09-16-2018, 04:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by geronimo View Post
i think if you're in the 35-40k mark you will stand to lose money. I think with the extraordinarily high cost of engine refreshes and the lack of actual performance that these cars will cool for many of the spur buyers that realize that the reality doesn't hold up to the idea sometimes.

While very well sorted low mile cars will stay strong, all the rest i think will cool a good deal, which for folks like me will suck, but i accept that life generally sucks soooo. On the up side maybe we'll finally get some relief on used 3.6 engines instead of the 15k for a well used engine in need of a 15k refresh lol
+1
Old 09-16-2018, 07:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ficke View Post
Thanks,
Once again friends are the best source for car deals.
I added a couple of mid year 911's that need light sorting, shocks, alternator, rubber grommet around tac., etc. for the 25K mark and less, to the line up of mine.
I was not looking, friend needing money was one, I bought that black 1977 Targa. The other was a 82 year old neighbor of another friend who was the second owner green 75 911S coupe and had the car for 38 years. Nice car.
I do not think the bubble burst, but the crazy, frantic buying is over and there is a lot more thoughtful purchases by buyers who seem to think more and do not want to throw their money away. It slowed down.
Getting a deal from a friend or neighbor is hardly the market. I think any air cooled 911 without a salvage title that is drivable would sell very quickly at $25k. The lack of cars for sale at this price is evidence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geronimo View Post
I think if you're in the 35-40K mark you will stand to lose money. I think with the extraordinarily high cost of engine refreshes and the lack of actual performance that these cars will cool for many of the spur buyers that realize that the reality doesn't hold up to the idea sometimes.

While very well sorted low mile cars will stay strong, all the rest I think will cool a good deal, which for folks like me will suck, but I accept that life generally sucks soooo. On the up side maybe we'll finally get some relief on used 3.6 engines instead of the 15K for a well used engine in need of a 15K refresh lol
I think you are suffering from a terrible case of buyers remorse. You should cut your losses and sell your 911, I doubt you'll ever be happy with the purchase.

Why would it suck if the market cooled a "good deal"? Did you buy your car with the intent to flip it or as an investment? If I woke up tomorrow and my 911 lost 50% of its value I would jump for joy and start shopping for 1 or 2 more.
Old 09-16-2018, 09:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)
Functionista

So would I on shopping for another.

Fact is, all old cool cars in good shape with sporting pretensions are pricey in 2018.
74 911, #3
I do not disbelieve in anything. I start from the premise that everything is true until proved false. Everything is possible.
Old 09-16-2018, 09:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ficke View Post
But I do not think it will ever go down to the "old happy times" of 5-10 years years ago.
Give it time.
Guess what they said about Model T's in the 1950s ?
Today, you can't give one away.
Old 09-16-2018, 10:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarwood View Post
Give it time.
Guess what they said about Model T's in the 1950s ?
Today, you can't give one away.
Not the best comparison, as there were about 15 million Model Tís built. Air cooled Porscheís canít really be compared to the Model T in any way at all.
Old 09-16-2018, 10:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)

Here’s the finite number of air cooled 911s:

The original 911: 111,995 units produced
G Series: 198,496 units produced
Typ 964 Series: 63,762 units produced
Typ 993 Series: 68,881 units produced

And by finite I mean when compared to one of the most mass produced vehicles ever.
Old 09-16-2018, 10:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMS935 View Post
Not the best comparison, as there were about 15 million Model T’s built. Air cooled Porsche’s can’t really be compared to the Model T in any way at all.
The key thing is the "modern" classic 911 such as the SC/Carrera can still be driven and keep up with ease in modern day traffic ... and a ton of fun.
It will stay that way until the day arrives when IC cars are banned.

Till then, that's what maintains their intrinsic value.
Old 09-16-2018, 11:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)

Garage
Has nothing to do with production numbers or utility.

15mm T's built, yet it's easier to find a 911 for sale. Why is that?

The bottom line is that, at some point, all the people who like these cars will ALL be dead, on the proper timeline. The are all destined for the scrap heap. Not if, but when. 50 year, 100 years, that's just details.

Last edited by sugarwood; 09-16-2018 at 11:32 AM..
Old 09-16-2018, 11:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)

^^^Are you sure you don’t want to retract that production numbers comment before someone quotes you on it for eternity? Production numbers ALWAYS has a direct impact on values, regardless of what make or model we’re talking about. I’m sure you know that though, which makes that comment all the more confusing.

And yes, we’ll all die at some point. You’re really not making much sense, that argument holds true for everything and anything, which has nothing specifically to do with air cooled Porsche’s.
Old 09-16-2018, 11:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarwood View Post
Has nothing to do with production numbers or utility.

15mm T's built, yet it's easier to find a 911 for sale. Why is that?

The bottom line is that, at some point, all the people who like these cars will ALL be dead, on the proper timeline. The are all destined for the scrap heap. Not if, but when. 50 year, 100 years, that's just details.
Pedantic.

At the end of the day, we're all dead. Got it.
Old 09-16-2018, 11:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmax View Post
Pedantic.

At the end of the day, we're all dead. Got it.
Gotta go with Max on this one. Funny too.

This stupid 'bubble' type thread comes up every two months or so. We've been discussing this topic since PML came, and went. It's like predicting the stock market is gonna go down. Of course it will. It's just when. Same, dumb argument.

If you're playing that high/low game, you're gonna lose no matter what...kitchen heat, and all that.
(I don't list the cars I've sold, because they're gone)
Old 09-16-2018, 12:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)

Garage
I just hope Mountain Man Matt doesnít build a super cool 3.2 Hot Rod and then losses money on it.

I mean who builds cars for pure enjoyment anyway???

Old 09-16-2018, 05:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1979-930 View Post
I just hope Mountain Man Matt doesnít build a super cool 3.2 Hot Rod and then losses money on it.

I mean who builds cars for pure enjoyment anyway???

I'm not building anything. We owned the car for 8 years and all it ever required was a starter, a battery, a fuel pump, and a DME relay. At 115k mi it was time to do some things. So we dropped the engine and did some things. And some more. And a few more. And now it's back together getting details for photos next week. It's taken forever but my car will be for sale before summer is technically over. Barely.
Old 09-16-2018, 06:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)

Garage
Just drove the 911 on the way to a nice Sunday brunch followed by a spirited drive, also ran across another SC doing similar on a near perfect NorCal day, exchanged waves and thumbs up ... yes, that's definitely worth something.

How much are run of the mill bore you to death depreciate to zero sedans these days ?
Old 09-16-2018, 06:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #38 (permalink)
gearhead

I just bought a VW SportWagen Golf w/DSG and 4 Motion for $25k. Easy to hit $35-40k if you equip it.
2008 Cayman S Mule
Old 09-16-2018, 06:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #39 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Monson View Post
I'm not building anything. We owned the car for 8 years and all it ever required was a starter, a battery, a fuel pump, and a DME relay. At 115k mi it was time to do some things. So we dropped the engine and did some things. And some more. And a few more. And now it's back together getting details for photos next week. It's taken forever but my car will be for sale before summer is technically over. Barely.

What happened the Gulf Blue project?
I thought that was what you were referring to.

Old 09-16-2018, 06:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #40 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: