Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Classified Ads > Porsche Marketplace Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
impact bubble starts to cool?

After buying my 82SC I have loosely watched prices when I can... it seems like (the most non-scientific method) the prices have slowed or even began to dip a bit....

This would make sense, because I bought one. :|
Old 09-11-2018, 02:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

If you got a nice / no stories driver example I wouldn't worry too much about losing any money other than repair, insurance costs when time comes to sell. If you have an all original, low mileage collector quality example you'll probably do well on it in the future. At least Seinfeld thinks so. Most recent post below.

Old 09-11-2018, 02:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Yea, I didn't think I was buying an investment... its a car and they are NOT investments... you might get lucky but thats not me.
Old 09-11-2018, 03:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Quote:
Originally Posted by specialtyoneinc View Post
If you got a nice / no stories driver example I wouldn't worry too much about losing any money other than repair, insurance costs when time comes to sell. If you have an all original, low mileage collector quality example you'll probably do well on it in the future. At least Seinfeld thinks so. Most recent post below.

lol wtf with the comments on his post lol
Old 09-11-2018, 03:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanbs View Post
lol wtf with the comments on his post lol
I get my news from Youtube and Instagram comments. You should too.
Old 09-11-2018, 05:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Can't agree with Jerry S. who thinks if a car is stored and not driven that makes it "Great".

If a car is being driven frequently and enjoyed that makes the owner great, with a great car.
Old 09-12-2018, 04:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)
Turbo Powered Snow Blower

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geronimo View Post
After buying my 82SC I have loosely watched prices when I can... it seems like (the most non-scientific method) the prices have slowed or even began to dip a bit....

Youíre not alone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-12-2018, 08:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:

Guess who bumped up everyone's cost ?
Old 09-12-2018, 01:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

If you think low miles makes a car great then you are a misguided poser.

The beauty of a 911 is that as you wear out parts you can replace them with better ones thus making it a great car and allowing it to live forever.
Old 09-13-2018, 01:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Prices always tend to cool in the fall on “fun” cars. When half of the market is going into hibernation the last thing anyone wants to do is buy a car and immediately throw it into storage for 5 months until the roads are clear of salt.

Prices tend to start going back up around late February from what I have seen.

As far as a low mileage car, personally I would absolutely love to have one and I don’t understand why anyone wouldn’t want one. Cosmetically the car will be perfect, mechanically the engine will likely need a reseal but reality is that most of these cars do if you want the engine dry. So you get to drive around in a new “old” car once the engines been redone, what’s not to like?

2011 Boxster Spyder, Sport Buckets, MT, Full Leather, PSE
1990 964 C2 Targa, MT, Stone Grey, Cashmer

Last edited by Marine Blue; 09-13-2018 at 04:24 AM..
Old 09-13-2018, 04:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

I've been shopping for an air cooled car ('87 - '98) since March 2018 and I definitely feel that the marked has 'cooled' somewhat except for 964's, which still seem to be going up. It makes sense that the cars which were first to shoot up like; 930's, 993's and 993TT 's have seem to have come down. For example, a couple of years ago I did not see a good 930 for under $100K and now there are several in the $80's. There are also 5-10 very low mileage 993's for sale right now at what I would consider reasonable prices compared to higher mileage 964's. However, this is only based on my casual observation and not a thorough analysis.
Old 09-13-2018, 05:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Quote:

I don't know what data you are looking at but according to Hagerty's valuations, 2.7s, SCs and 3.2s have appreciated anywhere from 10-20% this last quarter. They have continued to climb at a steep pace the last few years. I don't know where the ceiling is, but I wouldn't worry about their value falling. If anything, they will flat line like the 993s in a couple of years, and just hold their value for the years to come.
Old 09-14-2018, 08:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Funny you post this Geronimo. I saw the sale of your car and thought "damn prices are strong for SCs"

There is such a huge disparity between different cars and a relatively small sample of sales. I think it's hard to correctly asses where the market is going.
Old 09-15-2018, 07:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansas View Post
I don't know what data you are looking at but according to Hagerty's valuations, 2.7s, SCs and 3.2s have appreciated anywhere from 10-20% this last quarter. They have continued to climb at a steep pace the last few years. I don't know where the ceiling is, but I wouldn't worry about their value falling. If anything, they will flat line like the 993s in a couple of years, and just hold their value for the years to come.
I may be wrong but I believe that Hagerty's valuations are mostly based on auctions, which to me are 'outliers'. Low mileage cars with unique colors, etc.. will always appeal to collectors and carry a hefty premium. I think that 'driver' cars will stop climbing in value as they approach unrealistic and un-affordable levels to all but the most well heeled collectors. Also, 911's were always popular because they were relatively affordable and basically reliable compared to other classic cars. Now that they're within spitting distance to other, much more exotic (read rare & unique) cars, many fickle buyers will move to something else. Especially when they're faced with the inevitable $15-30K engine rebuilds.
Old 09-15-2018, 10:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Hagerty asks if you would mind sharing what you sold your car for. If you care to answer and are honest about the price, then they do have real world numbers to apply in valuing cars.
Old 09-15-2018, 11:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc911s View Post
Hagerty asks if you would mind sharing what you sold your car for. If you care to answer and are honest about the price, then they do have real world numbers to apply in valuing cars.
And how does that work with no mileage? Last time I checked, mileage is absolutely crucial in determining a carís value. Their values will always be high in relation to the market, itís because itís based on their drive to collect more in insurance premiums with higher agreed values.
Old 09-15-2018, 12:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Didn’t say that was the only factor. Just said they asked for a selling price. Anyone would have to be an idiot to think they don’t want values to be inflated.
Old 09-15-2018, 01:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMS935 View Post
And how does that work with no mileage? Last time I checked, mileage is absolutely crucial in determining a carís value. Their values will always be high in relation to the market, itís because itís based on their drive to collect more in insurance premiums with higher agreed values.
Hagerty values are based on auction, private and dealer sells. Looking at their valuations on 911s, Hagerty is actually LOW in relation to the market. Just last quarter, 964s were valued at 38K, 75-77 2.7s valued at 26K, pre g50 3.2s and SCs valued at 36K, and g50 3.2s valued at 42K. Those numbers seem pretty low to me.
Old 09-15-2018, 01:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Garage
Mileage is absolutely crucial in determining the value of a used car by used car buyers. It is less crucial to collector cars and collector car buyers where rust, original parts, etc. tend to out way mileage to the point it is almost mute when a nice one is found.

The thought that Hagerty inflates their value to collect more on premiums is simplistic and assumes buyers of insurance can not think or have the ability to make choices.
The customer is the one who makes the call what amount of insurance they are comfortable with. You can chose to insure a perfect 77 930 for $10,000 replacement cost if you want to save money on premiums, or up to some over inflated value most owners seem to value their stuff at any way. That is the customers call not Hagerty. Now there are enough stupid people out there who can not think for themselves and will go off of some value graph and complain the whole time about their high premiums for their $200,000 dollar 1979 911SC. But I do not blame Hagerty or any one else for those people's stupid choices in life.

I do think the market has leveled off again on the common air cooled 911's. But I do not think it will ever go down to the "old happy times" of 5-10 years years ago.

At least 25K seems to be the amount it takes to buy a entry level good driver air cooled 911, the "used car" 911's
Old 09-15-2018, 03:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

"At least 25K seems to be the amount it takes to buy a entry level good driver air cooled 911, the "used car" 911's"

PLEASE direct me to that "good driver air cooled 911" for $25K. These days, it seems that even a 911 in the low 30s comes with a LOT of sorting.

Old 09-15-2018, 03:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: