Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Classified Ads > Porsche Marketplace Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

carfax discrepancy

How does a mileage discrepancy on Carfax affect the value on a low mileage 1988 930

Old 09-30-2018, 08:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Registered
Well is it truly low mileage? What is the mileage discrepancy? It may shed enough doubt on the credibility and legitimacy of the previous owner and what the odometer reads that it would be assumed to have much higher mileage
Old 09-30-2018, 08:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Pristine car. 30,000 miles. How does this affect the purchase price?
Old 09-30-2018, 08:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr07845 View Post
Pristine car. 30,000 miles. How does this affect the purchase price?
It amazes me how these threads start with no information.

1) What is the current mileage of the car
2) What is the mileage stated on the carfax
3) What information do you have to doubt one or the other
4) Does the present owner present him/herself as truthful or is it a dealer?
5) And what the heck is the actual discrepancy? Are we talking tens of thousands of miles? or less than one thousand? As you know, these odometers are easy to change

That's all I have to say.
Old 09-30-2018, 09:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
What kind of discreptency? You need to post more info! Is it just clerical error noted from a smog or repair station? Is it in big red letters saying “ODOMETER ROLLBACK” is it branded because of miles?

If it’s a simple clerical error you can email CARFAX , send them some records and within 2 weeks they will correct it usually.

CARFAX is a mafia , I pay $520 / month for that damn service, same as the rent on my office..ridiculous
Old 09-30-2018, 09:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

How can you prove that an odometer rollback never happened and it was a clerical error while getting a smog check. That it what happened to one of my cars prior to me buying it and I would like to clear it up if possible. Thanks
Old 09-30-2018, 03:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Registered

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSS View Post
How can you prove that an odometer rollback never happened and it was a clerical error while getting a smog check. That it what happened to one of my cars prior to me buying it and I would like to clear it up if possible. Thanks
#1 if its an obvious error, and if its simple it will NOT SAY "odometer rollback" i had a couple of those, recently a red 91C2 had 96,300 miles, then goes in for odometer and they put in 98,300 then next reading is 96,700 or something similar, so in that case, you email carfax , they start a case and you submit records to them from your mechanic or whatever and they will usually remove it.
Old 09-30-2018, 03:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr07845 View Post
How does a mileage discrepancy on Carfax affect the value on a low mileage 1988 930
Had this happen to me. A buddy of mine cleared it with Carfax rather quickly. He is a dealer and is signed up with Carfax. If it was during a smog check it can be cleared pretty quickly (since it seems to happen quite often) but if it was during an issuing of a new title then you would have to contact your DMV. PM me your vin and I will have my friend check for you( yes I talked to him about your subject ).
Old 09-30-2018, 05:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

car is worthless, just send it to the crusher, worth scrap value now.
Old 09-30-2018, 07:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Former Options Trader !!!

There are a couple different things in play.

1) Is the error a simple fat finger error entered by a service provider?

2) Is the error an obvious fat finger error entered by a State agency?

3) Is the title branded as not original miles?

In the first case you can simply contact carfax and they'll typically make the correction by deleting the mileage on the fat fingered entry.

In the second case with a state agency, carfax will need to see a sequence of state registrations and / or docs from the state from before and after the date where the mileage is questionable. Its really a PITA although I have had success in having the carfax corrected in these cases.

In the third case, you're screwed. If a state has branded the title as TMU it will stay on the carfax. Its not all that hard to "wash" the title. States like Conn. don't issue titles for cars older than a certain age. I have heard its fairly easy to wash a title in Florida and Tx. too.

In the case of 1 or 2 I would not be overly concerned if it appears to be an obvious error. It will be a bit of a hassle to sell the car when the time comes. In the third case, let your conscience be your guide. I personally would steer clear of a branded title car even if the title was washed and it just shows up on carfax.

Carfax has plenty of flaws but understand the gen pop takes it as gospel and if you're selling a car with carfax issues, it wont matter how flawed you know carfax is the buyers are still going to look elsewhere.
Old 10-02-2018, 06:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Quote:
I ran a carfax on my car a couple days ago. I have owned it for 12 years. Prior to me buying it there was a "Mileage Discrepency" of a couple hundred miles. I knew this had to be a clerical error so I contacted Carfax. They cleared it up in 2 days. Yah
Old 10-03-2018, 11:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Quote:
If the obvious error was reported by a state agency its a lot harder than if the obvious error was reported by a service facility which worked on your car.

In the case of the service facility error, carfax will usually correct it without documentation as long as its very obvious and its not a significant discrepancy.

In the case of a state agency you would have to supply documentation as in a series of state inspections or smog reports from before and after the date of concern. Any other documentation you could provide including repair order from just prior or just after the questionable date is also helpful. It can be done, you just have to jump through a lot of hoops to get it done.

It helps if you have a relationship with a rep from Carfax. While I worked for Porsche I corrected many a carfax and I developed a professional relationship with my contact there. She was a very nice gal and easy to work with.
Old 10-03-2018, 12:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
Amateur

Garage
... which means any dealer worth his salt has a CARFOX fixer to correct any non official "discrepancies".
Old 10-04-2018, 09:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmax View Post
... which means any dealer worth his salt has a CARFOX fixer to correct any non official "discrepancies".
I did it for years, there is nothing shady (the term fixer implies shady) about the process. Its quick and easy when you're a dealer who pays for carfax service. You have a log in to their system and you can submit everything right to their system. We moved about 100 used cars a month retail / wholesale and maybe I needed to have carfax fix 7 to 10 a year.
Old 10-04-2018, 09:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Amateur

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by trader220 View Post
I did it for years, there is nothing shady (the term fixer implies shady) about the process. Its quick and easy when you're a dealer who pays for carfax service. You have a log in to their system and you can submit everything right to their system. We moved about 100 used cars a month retail / wholesale and maybe I needed to have carfax fix 7 to 10 a year.
So, what the heck is not a real "discrepancy" ? 500 miles ? 2000 ?
Old 10-04-2018, 10:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmax View Post
So, what the heck is not a real "discrepancy" ? 500 miles ? 2000 ?

IMO when its an obvious error. Something like then the mileages are in ascending order for a long sequence, then there is one which does not fit the sequence, and then it goes back to the regular sequence.
Old 10-04-2018, 10:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Amateur

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by trader220 View Post
IMO when its an obvious error. Something like then the mileages are in ascending order for a long sequence, then there is one which does not fit the sequence, and then it goes back to the regular sequence.
I read that as any outlier in the otherwise ascending mileage sequence.

Old 10-04-2018, 10:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: