Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Classified Ads > Porsche Marketplace Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

No I’m ready to buy it. It’s local to me which is a huge plus.

Another huge factor is they are taking a trade in on the 911 from me and it’s a good deal for me.
Old 10-14-2018, 06:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

Ultimately the decision is up to you what you’re willing to live with, we are only providing our observations. To me there’s no doubt that the undercarriage was either sprayed with paint or undercoating as I’ve never seen black cover everything to that extent unles there are some major leaks for a long time which would be a red flag in itself.

Either way good luck with the purchase, hope it works out for you.

2011 Boxster Spyder, Sport Buckets, MT, Full Leather, PSE
1990 964 C2 Targa, MT, Stone Grey, Cashmer
Old 10-15-2018, 11:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mldmotorwerks View Post
No Iím ready to buy it. Itís local to me which is a huge plus.
You live in Michigan. You live in the rust belt. Buying a car local to you should be avoided.

Seriously, you'll be thousands of dollars ahead if you buy a car sight unseen from a dry climate.
Old 10-15-2018, 11:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)
Former Options Trader !!!

I just think that's top dollar for a car with 165k and an unknown motor, paint work etc etc.

There is red overspray in a couple of areas. Looking further, the cars had plenty of paint work hard to say if it was a complete job done all at once.

Last edited by trader220; 10-15-2018 at 01:09 PM..
Old 10-15-2018, 01:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by msort81 View Post
Overpriced for the condition of the car.
No mention of head-studs. I will bet you it needs them
The Speedo in the dash did not come with this car
Odd / ugly additions: Rear lower fog light / Rear cyclops brake light ?
Turbo deck lid configured for rear wiper
Depending on how much history it has, if it has had a top end ?. But in this market I'd be inclined to start at 20k, offer up to 23k and then walk if he says no.
Thousands of better guards red SC's out there, and the porsche driver market is pretty much flaccid.

The guy from GR used to come on here. Check him out and his responses, think his handle was GRgallery or something. IIRC his name was Greg, and to his credit he did know that a 911 motor is located in the rear of the car.
Yep, Its almost a certainty with those miles. Pop the covers off and watch the studs fall on the ground. I had to rebuild both motors on the 2 SC's I owned. One of them was supposedly looked over by a reputable mechanic and it was reported no broken studs but they neglected to mention the 2 missing studs. My 78 SC with 110K had 7 broken studs.

Its not if but when with SC's . I wouldnt buy one again without popping the covers, verifying 24 intact studs and getting leak down numbers. Otherwise your gambling.
80 Coupe -Sold
88 Carrera -Sold
Old 10-17-2018, 05:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

Quote:
No Iím ready to buy it. Itís local to me which is a huge plus.

Another huge factor is they are taking a trade in on the 911 from me and itís a good deal for me.
If they aren't willing to negotiate on an overpriced car then you aren't really getting a deal on your trade are you?
Old 10-18-2018, 11:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Former Options Trader !!!

What's your trade, maybe I can get you more. If they're a decent dealer they should courtesy trade it or match it.
Old 10-18-2018, 11:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)

Check this car out, seems like a better option. Worth looking into at least. 81 SC w/ Recent Engine Build
Old 10-19-2018, 05:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

I’m here. Went to pickup the car and it just wasn’t what I was looking for.

Bought a 12k Mile Lotus they had sitting there instead. Lol.

Still chasing 911’s though....
Old 10-20-2018, 04:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)

^^^That’s hilarious. It sounds like the funds for it were burning a hole in your pocket.
Old 10-20-2018, 05:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)

Quote:
Iím here. Went to pickup the car and it just wasnít what I was looking for.
Care to elaborate?
Old 10-21-2018, 06:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)

A Lotus? Really, a Lotus?

Never mind the hunt for more iron, you'll be too busy working on what you just bought. Those salesman were high-fiving each other the second you left with that heap. Every one of my friends that ever owned a Lotus, the car owned them. It was a lot like buying an old boat with dry rot...
Old 10-21-2018, 06:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalParadise View Post
A Lotus? Really, a Lotus?

Never mind the hunt for more iron, you'll be too busy working on what you just bought. Those salesman were high-fiving each other the second you left with that heap. Every one of my friends that ever owned a Lotus, the car owned them. It was a lot like buying an old boat with dry rot...
Uhhh... itís a 2005 Elise. Had one prior, no real issues... full drivetrain is built by Toyota. If you hadnít heard Toyota builds the most reliable long lasting engines in the world!!! Lol.
Old 10-22-2018, 03:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)

Quote:
Uhhh... it’s a 2005 Elise. Had one prior, no real issues... full drivetrain is built by Toyota. If you hadn’t heard Toyota builds the most reliable long lasting engines in the world!!! Lol.
Great to always own a Toyota...isn't a Lexus a Toyota as well?

Nice to see you went for the new experience...and played it safe.

I love these threads so I can use my obnoxious memes...

now get off my obstacle.
Old 10-22-2018, 06:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)

In some ways I admire him for not going through with it. This old stuff isn't for everyone and the commitment required is very difficult sometimes. Probably made the right decision in the long run, as he's probably driving the car right now and that old SC would have needed some sorting for sure.
Old 10-23-2018, 04:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: