Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Classified Ads > Porsche Marketplace Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Racer needs sponsor

Garage
Porsche Crest Price check on original 1970 914-6 GT

Price check on original 1970 914-6 GT

I have a race car that I need to sell, but I have no idea what it's worth.
This 914-6 has been a race car most of its life. Originally owned by a former P.C.A. president who set it up for autocross. The 914-6 was raced sparingly and spent all of its life indoors, hence there is no rust. It has 9"and 11" IMSA GT fender flairs and is now set up for vintage racing.

Specs;
9" and 11" rims, Wilwood front brakes, 911SC rear brakes, stainless steel brake lines, 22mm front sway bar, Bilstein RSR front struts, rear Koni shocks, Recaro race seat, 5-speed transmission with good gears for racing
Needs;
Engine; the car comes without an engine, but we can build one for your race needs.
Seat Belts are out of date. Tires will need to be replaced.

Car Road Raced at;
Daytona, Sebring, Road Atlanta, Roebling Road, Homestead, PBI, VIR, CMP, Miami Grand Prix.

Thanks for your input.

Racing is living, the rest is just waiting around.
Old 01-09-2019, 11:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
Really hard to say. It's basically a Six roller with some extra goodies. Not an "original GT" by any means, plus "originality" is long gone because of the racing mods and the missing drivetrain.

The market for it probably depends on how streetable it is (or how hard it would be to turn back into a street driver) and how many venues it can run in and how much it would cost to get it into condition to run in those venues.

If it has IMSA history, that can add value to the right people. Likewise other high-profile and/or professional racing history.

The market for it as-is would be relatively small, though. Like lots of race cars, the return will probably only be pennies on the dollar for what has already gone into it.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 01-09-2019, 02:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I think a lot depends on whether or not it is a real six or not.

I bought one a couple of years ago that did run IMSA, and had a built 3.2 in it with one race. Also a Hewland gearbox. I paid $15,000. The car was for sale on this board and other places for 7 years, no takers. The car was not a real six, but left the Factory as a 4.

---Adam

356 Registry 17369
Early 911S Registry
912 Registry, PCA

Last edited by Unobtanium-inc; 01-09-2019 at 04:01 PM..
Old 01-09-2019, 03:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Chassis number will tell the story of its origin as 6 or 4.

The car could be $45-55K, if the race results records are impressive, but the buyer pool is small.
2018 Chevy Volt dd/parts fetcher
Old 01-09-2019, 04:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

You really have to share the VIN as it's very easy to tell if it's an original 4 or 6. If it's originally a 6 then the price goes way up as others have said.

First check and confirm that it's really an original 6.
Old 01-09-2019, 04:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Racer needs sponsor

Garage
Porsche Crest

This race car is a factory 6. Vin.# starts 9140430...
It has no professional race history. Can be raced with SCCA, PCA, HSR,SVRA, POC, VDCA and many vintage race groups.

Racing is living, the rest is just waiting around.
Old 01-09-2019, 04:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

gearhead

I’m in the $40-50k Range.
2008 Cayman S Mule
Old 01-09-2019, 04:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

40-50k with no engine? Believe it when I see it....
Old 01-09-2019, 07:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
I’m with JP I think Matt may have missed that it has no engine. Let’s see 914-6 with modified body this condition with matching engine $50-60 tops, mismatched 914/6 engine $40ish, no engine at all $20-25 tops
Old 01-09-2019, 07:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Actually Matt are you valuing it that as a race car roller or as restore roller?
Old 01-09-2019, 08:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
gearhead

Sorry, I was pricing it with an engine in it, not a matching engine, but an engine. $10-15k less without one.
2008 Cayman S Mule
Old 01-10-2019, 05:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Monson View Post
Sorry, I was pricing it with an engine in it, not a matching engine, but an engine. $10-15k less without one.
Agreed. With no pro racing history, its value drops. Would have been a good chassis for my friend's twin plug 2.2S engine...
2018 Chevy Volt dd/parts fetcher
Old 01-10-2019, 09:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

I'm confused. The title say "original 914-6 GT" but clearly this is not one of the factory race cars, correct?
Old 01-10-2019, 12:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Smile

Ok Gunther lets get you straitened out here. Between the silliness, knit picking and people that don’t read threads completely let me get you to your answer.

914-6s that have low miles and are original are going for $100,000.00 plus. Those that have had their floor pans replaced, rust repairs or other non original parts are selling around $80,000.00 and less. Since your 6 has a good chassis without any other mods other than the flairs and oil cooler cutout,( unlike the tube frame yellow car above) lets do the math and start with the $80k.

Subtract $20k for a 2 liter 6 engine ( the ones we used throw away when they wore out, for a more powerful 911 engine back in the day). Subtract $10k to return to stock fenders and paint. Fenders and body parts are cheap and most of the cost is in labor and paint. Subtract $5k for new interior and any other small insularly parts. The suspension is a wash. You can sell the RSR struts, brakes, and wheels for a stock suspension and wheels.

$80k – $20k – $10 -$5k = $45k.

These numbers are an approximation, but this should get you in the ball park. GLWTS
Old 01-10-2019, 06:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.914-6GT View Post
Ok Gunther lets get you straitened out here. Between the silliness, knit picking and people that don’t read threads completely let me get you to your answer.

914-6s that have low miles and are original are going for $100,000.00 plus. Those that have had their floor pans replaced, rust repairs or other non original parts are selling around $80,000.00 and less. Since your 6 has a good chassis without any other mods other than the flairs and oil cooler cutout,( unlike the tube frame yellow car above) lets do the math and start with the $80k.

Subtract $20k for a 2 liter 6 engine ( the ones we used throw away when they wore out, for a more powerful 911 engine back in the day). Subtract $10k to return to stock fenders and paint. Fenders and body parts are cheap and most of the cost is in labor and paint. Subtract $5k for new interior and any other small insularly parts. The suspension is a wash. You can sell the RSR struts, brakes, and wheels for a stock suspension and wheels.

These numbers are an approximation, but this should get you in the ball park. GLWTS
I believe it's silly to think that this car should/would be returned to stock and base a numeric value on this assumption.

I don't believe it should be returned to stock with its very known history - a colorful one at that - and that this car in fact has great value in it being it. Most have to admit that the 914 never, ever was given its day and not allowed to show its true potential and pedigree. This one obviously has done a few things - and I believe it's worth something as it sits.

It's easy to put numbers on things and then start deducting on what 'such and such' would cost.

This case may be whatever someone will pay. Or whatever the seller will let it go for. I think it's an interesting 914 in it's own right - one that does not come up everyday.

I would also comment on the above post and say it would be a complete folly to return this to stock. You want stock? Buy one that is and save yourself tens of thousands that will be needed to get this one there. A 6 is rare - but not that rare.

I say the seller should come up with a number that is comfortable, add 25% and start there.
Old 01-10-2019, 07:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

I was not saying or recommending it be returned to stock. It was away to give the owner an idea of what the value of his car is, which is what the owner is obviously trying to deduce here.

Last edited by Mr.914-6GT; 01-10-2019 at 07:57 PM.. Reason: misspelling
Old 01-10-2019, 07:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.914-6GT View Post

I think you should start your deducting from a non-matching car rather than an $80k matching car that needs some work.
Old 01-10-2019, 08:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

@ Gunther. If this helps, a converted 4 done by one of the best 914 race shops in the southeast was turned into an HSR type 914-6gt 2.5 for vintage racing. It sold a couple of years ago for $60k. Building one isn't cheap anymore even if you build it yourself. Parts are getting harder to find. Adding an engine and new safety equipment is not a big deal to do. With the prices being tossed around this thread, even on the high end, add a motor a for 20 grand and it seems like it would be a good deal for someone. GLWS.
Old 01-10-2019, 08:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jforbes View Post
@ Gunther. If this helps, a converted 4 done by one of the best 914 race shops in the southeast was turned into an HSR type 914-6gt 2.5 for vintage racing. It sold a couple of years ago for $60k. Building one isn't cheap anymore even if you build it yourself. Parts are getting harder to find. Adding an engine and new safety equipment is not a big deal to do. With the prices being tossed around this thread, even on the high end, add a motor a for 20 grand and it seems like it would be a good deal for someone. GLWS.
John, isn't that you in the first picture? What can you tell us about the car?

---Adam

356 Registry 17369
Early 911S Registry
912 Registry, PCA
Old 01-11-2019, 05:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Garage
I'd say if it is nicely sorted then 35-40k as a roller.
'80 911SC Weissach 3.2 Short Stroke Hot Rod
'68 SWB 911T build in progress -The Rat
Old 01-11-2019, 06:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: