Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Classified Ads > Porsche Marketplace Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan_Cunningham View Post
Thanks for all the input. Decided to pass on the original listed car.

What are you guys' thoughts on the two listed below? Obviously completely different in character, driving characteristics, and the direction I'd likely take them. Both have some room to negotiate. The first is a 1986 Porsche 911. Major issues is that the title was lost in 2002 and a duplicate was issued in its place and the last odometer report in 2002 showed 119k. It now shows 129k and is "broken" which I understand is relatively typical. The second is a 1967 Porsche 912 that is sitting outside with a cover as the current owner no longer has room for it after he purchased another toy.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1986-Porsche-911-/123532125621?nordt=true&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trks id=p2047675.m43663.l44720

https://washingtondc.craigslist.org/mld/cto/d/pennsauken-1967-porsche-912/6769439155.html
The 86 looks like it's been tracked. I'd tread carefully since it's cheap for a 3.2. I love 912's but this one seems cheap as well. Watch out for rust on that 67!
(I don't list the cars I've sold, because they're gone)
Old 01-15-2019, 07:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

GothingNC - I believe I did
sent you a PM
Old 01-15-2019, 08:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nditiz1 View Post
Ryan you seem local (MD area) since the cars you listed are both on the east coast.

Anyway, as far as the 86, it seems to be an ok buy especially if these receipts show any type of engine servicing. The car has been through some mods which while I don't find tasteful, actually help in getting in at a lower price. I'm not a purist either, but prefer some of the original body lines to the mods done(later front bumper, 964?) The seller of the 86 has had this one for sale for at least a month ( I often check the MD area CL's) I might be happy offering 28k and driving it away.

My 911 adventure just started last August with what I thought was a steal of a deal and ended up being just a good deal. I got in the game for 22k. With that I got a restored 77 Targa with a 914 motor. So it was a 912E conversion. No one usually powers down a car which is why it went for 912E prices. The conversion was done almost perfectly with all the correct 912E parts minus the engine block (76 914) and the FI (D-jet). My car is fun to drive, but does not have the blast power that comes with the 6. Which is why I sourced an 82 motor and trans to transplant in. So now I'm up to 30k in a car and engine and will recoupe some of the money selling off the 923 trans and 914 motor, but still need to do the conversion work. It would have been a lot more simple to just buy a decent 911 with the flat 6.

Going back to your early car listing, I'm not sure you will get the fun factor from the 912 engine. I love the look of the 912 as do most (all the backdates), but I feel you will quickly realize you wish you had the 6 powerhouse behind you.
Thanks for the story, a great lesson to keep me honest. And I am (relatively) local - Near Virginia Beach after living in San Diego for the past couple years when I was in the military.

If I could really have it my way I'd either buy a late 80s 911 and backdate it, or buy a late 60s 912 and upgrade the powertrain. Both would allow me to enjoy the car for a year or so before I really jumped into the modification process.

I just have to remember to "try" to remain logical, but buying a car like this is allows more of an emotional than logical decision, especially when you want to enjoy the car and not see it as an investment.

If anyone sees a car somewhere that fits the bill, please don't hesitate to let me know!
Old 01-16-2019, 05:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

My suggestion- look a while to get a feel for the market, and look at plenty of cars before you jump into something. Opportunities will present themselves. I got into three cars over a period of two years that each was a bargain in it's own way. The one relevant to this discussion is a straight, no rust 912E with a 78 3.0, comically bad respray, interior in very good condition, needing heaps of minor jobs- headlight relays, door stay reinforcement for example. I think I got that one for 21.5$.

I looked around for at least six months before I found that one- it's great to drive, none of its needs are beyond my abilities, and while the paint looks terrible, it's thick and will protect the body till I feel like spending money on looks.

Sent from my Nokia 7.1 using Tapatalk
Old 01-20-2019, 10:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodsrsr View Post
Oh Geez......
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawknees'Turbo View Post
Exactly! Preservation of the Snail Mobiles!!!
Plenty of 911 projects out there.

Preservation of the Snail Mobiles ?

Like the preservation of my 53 Pre A ? Many newer stock rice burners will eat a 356 or 912. Like a Honda Civic for example.

The point being you have a limited production model that not that many are left.

Plenty of guys have built up 911's only to take a $financial$ hit when they are "OVER IT"
Old 01-20-2019, 01:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodsrsr View Post
Oh Geez......
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawknees'Turbo View Post
Exactly! Preservation of the Snail Mobiles!!!

Like the preservation of my 53 Pre A ? Many newer stock rice burners will eat a 356 or 912. Like a Honda Civic for example.

The point being you have a limited production model that not that many are left.

Plenty of guys have built up 911's only to take a $financial$ hit when they are "OVER IT"
Old 01-20-2019, 02:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)
Jiu Jitsu Grappler

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PD41 View Post

Please read Post #11 second paragraph.

1976 Turbo Coupe 3.2
2009 Carerra S (997.2)
Old 01-21-2019, 04:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)
Porsche Driver

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PD41 View Post
I think they should be preserved. How many are left ? They made 2500

My brother totaled out his 76 912E a few years back. Probably not that many original left.
Could be valuable in the future. 912's were cheap a few years ago and now guys are ripping off flares and tails to make them stock again.

There are indeed less and less true original cars. Some claim to have original cars but most have been worked on, converted to carb set-up, un-smogged etc.. I didn't come accross many cars that have a full history, the smog system, L-jet, etc..

I don't think it's a matter of could be valuable, the 912e's are becoming more valuable and they are rising faster than many 911's. They finally receive the reward they deserve as they handle great, are very reliable and are the ultimate GT's in my view. More relaxed and forgiving to drive as a 911, while still having their road handling. You don't buy these for the speed, but to cruise around. Look at the mileages that some 912e have, and you know someone really enjoyed driving it as >300k miles is not so rare and I haven't seen many 911's with that mileage.

To give you an idea, 2 for sale in europe at ~ 62.5K$.

I however like how owners make their cars their own, convert them to how they enjoy their cars and the more get converted, the rarer an original will become. Some converted cars are gems (if done right at least), like true original are gems.
Old 02-27-2019, 11:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

My 912e is pretty well preserved, but for the engine. It's had a 78' 3.0 for something like 25 years, maybe more. Records are spotty. Does the age of the engine swap make it a "period correct", value-increasing modification? Certainly increased the value for me.

Dan

Old 02-28-2019, 08:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)
Mighty Meatlocker Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixed76 View Post
My 912e is pretty well preserved, but for the engine. It's had a 78' 3.0 for something like 25 years, maybe more. Records are spotty. Does the age of the engine swap make it a "period correct", value-increasing modification? Certainly increased the value for me.

Dan

That depends on the type person looking at the car as a potential purchase; are they a sports car enthusiast or an originality dweeb?
Old 02-28-2019, 10:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)

I've been on this forum since the late 90's. I got my 912E in 1998 and found this forum shortly thereafter. In the interim, I've had probably ten other porsches. My favorite of all of them has been the 912E. Mine is now highly modified, with a built 2.0 - headwork, Webers, etc. Over time, it's been re-engineered to be competitive in the SCCA FSP Solo class, but still fun to drive to work on Fridays and as a weekend joyride. They are fun reliable cars. The engines can easily (and relatively cheaply - compared to a 911) be built for more torque. The gearbox is a joy. Is it a 911? No, it isn't. If you want a 911, get one. They certainly sound better than a stock 912E. But a 912E is a cool car in its own right. Peter Egan once described the joy of a "high average speed car," and that's what a 912E is.
- 71 Jaguar XJ6 Series 1
- 17 Shelby GT350
Old 03-09-2019, 06:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: