Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Classified Ads > Porsche Marketplace Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Porsche 912E Estimate

All,

I've been browsing this forum for the past year or so while I've been searching for the appropriate 911/912 to turn into a long term project. I'll admit I'm not a purist, but I've loved the lines of the air-cooled Porsches for as long as I can remember. My ultimate goal is to pick up a car that I could drive for a year or so, as-is, with minor modifications here and there until I decide to really delve into the modification process with a new motor, transmission, improved chassis components, brakes, etc... And I'll likely not remain with a Porsche powerplant when that time comes so it'll become more of an Outlaw.

That being said, I'm incredibly fond of the way a widebody 964 presents itself and would like an honest assessment of what is a reasonable price for the below 912E. It'll obviously offend some pretending to be something it isn't, but it has a look that really appeals to me, and I wouldn't feel bad about "ruining" a 911 once the time came to undergo significant modifications.

Thoughts?

https://www.classicalgasmotors.com/cars/1870/1870.htm
Old 01-10-2019, 12:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

"Widebody kit' has bad connotations. Fiberglass rear flares and bumpers perhaps, part and installation quality can be a nightmare. Interior is a mess, looks like a spray can die job on the dash and JC Whitney seat covers. You're not going to use a 912E engine and trans.

Spend another few $1000's and find a better starting point with an already viable powertrain. There are loads of SC and Carrera's available now for $25k - $35k that have good bones.
Old 01-10-2019, 10:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Don't make the mistake of blowing your money on a car like this because of emotion.

There is perfectly nothing wrong with a 912E - but this one is wrong.

There is a great brown 912E that one of the members is selling here. It's in the for sale section at $20K. This is a much better base.

Get out there and look around. There are a lot of cars - much cooler than this one.

This one is a disaster.
Old 01-10-2019, 12:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Jiu Jitsu Grappler

Garage
This started out as a 912E. Might be selling it in the near future.....

1976 Turbo Coupe 3.2
2009 Carerra S (997.2)
Old 01-10-2019, 01:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodsrsr View Post
This started out as a 912E. Might be selling it in the near future.....

Beautiful car. How long did the process take? Whatíd the original 912E run you and what shape was it in?
Old 01-10-2019, 03:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Jiu Jitsu Grappler

Garage
Thanks. I've owned the car since the 90's and I purchased it as a roller, so I dont remember what I paid and its probably not relevant anyway since its so long ago, however it had steel flares and the cage installed. I think the 912E is a great platform due to the galvanized body and super easy conversion to 911 specs. It may not fetch as much as a modded 911 but than again you never know, since its basically just a mid-year backdate at this point....with a turbo 3.2 That said, the 912E in question needs lots of work just in drivetrain alone so for the money it would take for a nice 3.2 or 3.6 with even a 915 you could have just found a nice mid year 911 or Carrera. I would have to say pass unless you found a nice roller for a lot less.

1976 Turbo Coupe 3.2
2009 Carerra S (997.2)
Old 01-10-2019, 03:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

I think they should be preserved. How many are left ? They made 2500

My brother totaled out his 76 912E a few years back. Probably not that many original left.
Could be valuable in the future. 912's were cheap a few years ago and now guys are ripping off flares and tails to make them stock again.
Old 01-12-2019, 08:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Jiu Jitsu Grappler

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PD41 View Post
I think they should be preserved. How many are left ? They made 2500

My brother totaled out his 76 912E a few years back. Probably not that many original left.
Could be valuable in the future. 912's were cheap a few years ago and now guys are ripping off flares and tails to make them stock again.

Oh Geez......

1976 Turbo Coupe 3.2
2009 Carerra S (997.2)
Old 01-12-2019, 08:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Mighty Meatlocker Turbo

Quote:
Oh Geez......
Exactly! Preservation of the Snail Mobiles!!!
Old 01-12-2019, 10:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

I'd drive a 912E. The Type IV engine is a dream to work on compared to a 911. You don't get the 911 power, but you can easily get 200hp if you spend $20K on an engine. Oh, that's when I realized that I should just get the 911 in the first place. Glad I did.

What I would not do is spend 911 money on a 912E. And you probably easily can if you buy one at a high price. Better to wait and find a comparable 911.
Old 01-12-2019, 01:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Jiu Jitsu Grappler

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SalParadise View Post
I'd drive a 912E. The Type IV engine is a dream to work on compared to a 911. You don't get the 911 power, but you can easily get 200hp if you spend $20K on an engine. Oh, that's when I realized that I should just get the 911 in the first place. Glad I did.

What I would not do is spend 911 money on a 912E. And you probably easily can if you buy one at a high price. Better to wait and find a comparable 911.

Agreed, its been a while but I think I just spend a few grand on it as roller back in the 90's. It also had steel flares, a 6 point cage and the body had zero rust, so for me that was a great starting point. Unlike the early 912's the 912E already has the engine mount brackets welded in place from the factory and the body is galvanized. You basically only need to cut out a small area to install an oil tank and a big motor will go right in. The rest of the systems like brakes and suspension were going to be upgraded either way so that was moot.

I'll see how it plays out if and when I decide to sell but I believe that someone looking for a longhood hotrod is basically looking at backdates since those newer cars have the galvanized body and usually a bigger engine, better suspension & brakes. The backdates are no longer looked upon as what they originally were rather they are "backdates" created from a doner car, be it a mid-year SC, a Carrera, a 964 or even a 912E. The price a backdate commands seems to be predicated on the build quality, attention to detail and Pedigree only in regards to the builder. I don't think that a person looking for a numbers matching early SC would be in the same demographic as the guy looking for a backdated hotrod. I may be wrong but that's what I suspect.

1976 Turbo Coupe 3.2
2009 Carerra S (997.2)
Old 01-12-2019, 05:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Unlike the early 912's the 912E already has the engine mount brackets welded in place from the factory and the body is galvanized. You basically only need to cut out a small area to install an oil tank and a big motor will go right in. The rest of the systems like brakes and suspension were going to be upgraded either way so that was moot...

I'll see how it plays out if and when I decide to sell but I believe that someone looking for a longhood hotrod is basically looking at backdates since those newer cars have the galvanized body and usually a bigger engine, better suspension & brakes. The backdates are no longer looked upon as what they originally were rather they are "backdates" created from a doner car, be it a mid-year SC, a Carrera, a 964 or even a 912E. The price a backdate commands seems to be predicated on the build quality, attention to detail and Pedigree only in regards to the builder. I don't think that a person looking for a numbers matching early SC would be in the same demographic as the guy looking for a backdated hotrod. I may be wrong but that's what I suspect.
That's awesome. I never knew that the 912E setup was already good to go with the mounts. That's pretty huge. It's essentially a 911 midyear then. Something to think about for potential 912E buyers who can possibly get a smoking deal on a tired 912 and want to go the 911 route. However I don't know how many 912E deals are left right now.

I agree about the backdates not looked upon as the cars they originally were. Or hotrods for that matter. That hotrod based on a 912 went for huge money on BaT months back - no one cared, certainly not the buyer and many other bidders. Like you said it's going to come down to details and the builders that make all the difference.
Old 01-12-2019, 07:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Thanks for all the input. Decided to pass on the original listed car.

What are you guys' thoughts on the two listed below? Obviously completely different in character, driving characteristics, and the direction I'd likely take them. Both have some room to negotiate. The first is a 1986 Porsche 911. Major issues is that the title was lost in 2002 and a duplicate was issued in its place and the last odometer report in 2002 showed 119k. It now shows 129k and is "broken" which I understand is relatively typical. The second is a 1967 Porsche 912 that is sitting outside with a cover as the current owner no longer has room for it after he purchased another toy.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1986-Porsche-911-/123532125621?nordt=true&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trks id=p2047675.m43663.l44720

https://washingtondc.craigslist.org/mld/cto/d/pennsauken-1967-porsche-912/6769439155.html
Old 01-13-2019, 09:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Ryan you seem local (MD area) since the cars you listed are both on the east coast.

Anyway, as far as the 86, it seems to be an ok buy especially if these receipts show any type of engine servicing. The car has been through some mods which while I don't find tasteful, actually help in getting in at a lower price. I'm not a purist either, but prefer some of the original body lines to the mods done(later front bumper, 964?) The seller of the 86 has had this one for sale for at least a month ( I often check the MD area CL's) I might be happy offering 28k and driving it away.

My 911 adventure just started last August with what I thought was a steal of a deal and ended up being just a good deal. I got in the game for 22k. With that I got a restored 77 Targa with a 914 motor. So it was a 912E conversion. No one usually powers down a car which is why it went for 912E prices. The conversion was done almost perfectly with all the correct 912E parts minus the engine block (76 914) and the FI (D-jet). My car is fun to drive, but does not have the blast power that comes with the 6. Which is why I sourced an 82 motor and trans to transplant in. So now I'm up to 30k in a car and engine and will recoupe some of the money selling off the 923 trans and 914 motor, but still need to do the conversion work. It would have been a lot more simple to just buy a decent 911 with the flat 6.

Going back to your early car listing, I'm not sure you will get the fun factor from the 912 engine. I love the look of the 912 as do most (all the backdates), but I feel you will quickly realize you wish you had the 6 powerhouse behind you.
Old 01-15-2019, 05:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
gearhead

Quote:
That's awesome. I never knew that the 912E setup was already good to go with the mounts. That's pretty huge. It's essentially a 911 midyear then. Something to think about for potential 912E buyers who can possibly get a smoking deal on a tired 912 and want to go the 911 route. However I don't know how many 912E deals are left right now.

I agree about the backdates not looked upon as the cars they originally were. Or hotrods for that matter. That hotrod based on a 912 went for huge money on BaT months back - no one cared, certainly not the buyer and many other bidders. Like you said it's going to come down to details and the builders that make all the difference.
Good luck finding a good 912e for cheap. They started to go up in price about the same time as 74-75 and before 76-77 middies. I had one for a year. Fun light little cars and all the type IV mods you can do to a 914 work on them to. Jake Raby drives one with 150hp out of one of his 2.2s. And they use the 7:31 as found in an early 915. Basically they are geared like a 73RS.
2008 Cayman S Mule
Old 01-15-2019, 05:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Garage
It’s a mid year 912E! It’s already ruined!!! Just kidding!! 0-60 in 24 seconds is really not that bad!
Old 01-15-2019, 06:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Sadly enough I believe that 912Es got way more respect than any midyear 911 before now. I think they went for the same or more money compared to a '74-'77 pre-2012. I don't have much data on this, or I may be remembering things incorrectly, but I believe that a 912E was more desirable than my car, a '75S for several years.
Old 01-15-2019, 06:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nditiz1 View Post
Ryan you seem local (MD area) since the cars you listed are both on the east coast.

Anyway, as far as the 86, it seems to be an ok buy especially if these receipts show any type of engine servicing. The car has been through some mods which while I don't find tasteful, actually help in getting in at a lower price. I'm not a purist either, but prefer some of the original body lines to the mods done(later front bumper, 964?) The seller of the 86 has had this one for sale for at least a month ( I often check the MD area CL's) I might be happy offering 28k and driving it away.

My 911 adventure just started last August with what I thought was a steal of a deal and ended up being just a good deal. I got in the game for 22k. With that I got a restored 77 Targa with a 914 motor. So it was a 912E conversion. No one usually powers down a car which is why it went for 912E prices. The conversion was done almost perfectly with all the correct 912E parts minus the engine block (76 914) and the FI (D-jet). My car is fun to drive, but does not have the blast power that comes with the 6. Which is why I sourced an 82 motor and trans to transplant in. So now I'm up to 30k in a car and engine and will recoupe some of the money selling off the 923 trans and 914 motor, but still need to do the conversion work. It would have been a lot more simple to just buy a decent 911 with the flat 6.

Going back to your early car listing, I'm not sure you will get the fun factor from the 912 engine. I love the look of the 912 as do most (all the backdates), but I feel you will quickly realize you wish you had the 6 powerhouse behind you.
I think you picked up my brothers old Targa, is it Tobacco Brown that someone had listed on The Samba?

If so, he sold it around 1995.
Original 2.7 bit the dust and at the time "middies" were going for under $10K.
He converted it with a Type IV motor; found it was underpowered at the time and let it go and replaced it with an 84 Carrera.
05 Jetta GLI
Old 01-15-2019, 06:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
gearhead

Quote:
Sadly enough I believe that 912Es got way more respect than any midyear 911 before now. I think they went for the same or more money compared to a '74-'77 pre-2012. I don't have much data on this, or I may be remembering things incorrectly, but I believe that a 912E was more desirable than my car, a '75S for several years.
That's correct. I had mine 10 years ago. I sold it and used the proceeds to buy a 1968 911T.
2008 Cayman S Mule
Old 01-15-2019, 06:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
Mighty Meatlocker Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Triesch View Post
Itís a mid year 912E! Itís already ruined!!! Just kidding!! 0-60 in 24 seconds is really not that bad!
Why exaggerate the numbers like that, NastyNick (it's 0-50 in 32 seconds)?!?!
Old 01-15-2019, 07:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: