Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Classified Ads > Porsche Marketplace Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawknees'Turbo View Post
Absolute and utter horse shiit.
I think you mean,”Rubbish!” 930xxx should stick to waxing his arse. He’s got no clue what it even takes to put a car like this back together.
2008 Cayman S Mule
Old 01-22-2019, 06:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)
gearhead

I would consider this a comp. If I didn't have a new used car of my own, I would be considering checking this one out.

1979 911SC Targa Turbo – Special Wishes - Euro
2008 Cayman S Mule
Old 01-22-2019, 07:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Monson View Post
I would consider this a comp. If I didn't have a new used car of my own, I would be considering checking this one out.

Ads like this are exactly why you can’t comment on threads in the for sale section anymore - cause this guy would get torn to bits. Is this guy really being serious about having Special Wishes cosmetics on it?!? There are none anywhere on this thing.
Old 01-22-2019, 07:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93097004xx View Post
To OP just advertise your air cooled as a project be open to offers.

I don’t believe it’s a 930 anymore your prospective buyers are probably those looking to build a race car 934/935.

I believe from the pictures you show it would come to north of $50,000 just to get the mechanics sorted that’s before the bodywork and interior which is easily another $50,000.

If you’re wondering what a really nice 84 930 is priced at or what the market commands there isn’t a example on BaT to reference but there is a nice 85 930 to use as a guide.

These are stunners when they aren’t modified or brought to forms the factory didn’t intend. When they are in fact truly a 930.
You're out of your mind. It is a 930. It's not a burned out hulk - even if it was - it would be a 930.

Here we go again down the 930-hole. The economics with never, ever make sense IF they want to turn it into one of the cars you present (and even then, it would not be one of those cars). But it will make sense in another 20 years. I guarantee it.

I remember very vividly in the late '80s when people were dragging Ferraris out of fields, ponds (I'm serious) and barns. One in particular was a NART Spyder and all there was left was a twisted, rusted, melted frame (yes, I went to the barn and picked it up) - and this went back to Italy and it became, guess what? A NART Spyder and no one cared. Because it was done right. It had a story as MANY historic race cars do - but it's still that car if you want it to be.

When did all you 930 people become such snobs. A parts car? A 934/935 conversion? Are you serious? I'm serious when I say that his is not a parts car. It's not a boat anchor. I believe it has potential. The Ferrari people are secretly laughing at us and wonder when this hobby is going to mature. I'm wondering too.

Do you call a just-found 911 prototype with chairs, flares and white gauges not a 911 prototype? Or a '73 RS that has been neglected not a RS? Or a '64 that has been wide-bodied and rusted not a '64?

930s are rare cars. Not to mention Euro 930s because they beat the hell out of them. They drove them in the rain, in the snow, off-road, on the cobble-stoned back streets. Commuted in them. As that photo shows of that white one, they drove that car and put away wet. But who cares. Unless Porsche starts tooling up for another G-Body 930 production, and Ferry comes back from the dead, then I don't know where your head is.

To someone like me it would not matter. The OPs 930 may not be a stellar 930 but it has the potential to be one. So what if someone buys it and puts all the money in. It will not be an original car but it's a 930.

$50K for the engine? Yeah, no.

Whatever. Sure if I had $100K I would buy that old sweet cranberry colored 930 that Voiture gave his son (I still like that car) that had the same color as a 924 I once owned. But I don't. Even if I did maybe I would buy the OPs 930 to see what I could do. I would put it back together very quickly and enjoy the car everyday just like Ronnie does and live decent, law-abiding Turbo good life - and not worry as much.

Parts car or 934/935 conversion. OK. We'll see.

Last edited by SalParadise; 01-22-2019 at 07:51 AM..
Old 01-22-2019, 07:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

Sal, I do love your stories, you seem to have so many good ones, but this one is a parts car - period. Anytime a car is described as being in a ‘pile’ or a ‘heap’, and that said pile doesn’t even have all of the parts born with the car, and also in need of lots of work - that equals a parts car. There are far better ways to spend your money on 930s, and no they are not rare, at least in terms of air cooled turbos they aren’t. There are rare 930s - yes, but 930s themselves are far from rare. Will this pile be worth more money in 20 years? I have no doubt it will be, but that doesn’t make it money well spent to take on this project.
Old 01-22-2019, 08:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMS935 View Post
Ads like this are exactly why you can’t comment on threads in the for sale section anymore - cause this guy would get torn to bits. Is this guy really being serious about having Special Wishes cosmetics on it?!? There are none anywhere on this thing.
Special Wishes is a department. I think you may be confusing that with 505 treatment. It could have had any number of things done to it by SW. Only the option codes on the COA will actually tell you what they did.

Regardless, it's irrelevant if they even handled the car. An SC with a 930 engine is worth what he's asking for it.
2008 Cayman S Mule
Old 01-22-2019, 08:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Quote:
Special Wishes is a department. I think you may be confusing that with 505 treatment. It could have had any number of things done to it by SW. Only the option codes on the COA will actually tell you what they did.

Regardless, it's irrelevant if they even handled the car. An SC with a 930 engine is worth what he's asking for it.
I’m very familiar with it - zero confusion on my end. 505/506 were factory codes, and they refer to the slant nose, which this obviously doesn’t have. It’s also post changing over from Special Wishes to Porsche Exclusive as well. The ad says the ‘Special Wishes parts are appearance related’, that is wholly inaccurate as there are no Special Wishes parts on that car of any kind. Furthermore, they wouldn’t be on the COA, or whatever factory docs they are referring to, not for 1979 if they are implying that they were born with this car. That was the very infancy of the Special Wishes Department. And if they are implying that they’re a retrofit, again, whatever it is they are talking about, they wouldn’t be on the COA or any other Porsche factory docs either. That ad has more holes in it than Swiss cheese in regards to the Special Wishes part.

I never commented on value, could care less about it, just pointing out the Special Wishes jargon is a pile of horse sh|t.
Old 01-22-2019, 08:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)
gearhead

Quote:
I’m very familiar with it - zero confusion on my end. 505/506 were factory codes, and they refer to the slant nose, which this obviously doesn’t have. It’s also post changing over from Special Wishes to Porsche Exclusive as well. The ad says the ‘Special Wishes parts are appearance related’, that is wholly inaccurate as there are no Special Wishes parts on that car of any kind. Furthermore, they wouldn’t be on the COA, or whatever factory docs they are referring to, not for 1979 if they are implying that they were born with this car. That was the very infancy of the Special Wishes Department. And if they are implying that they’re a retrofit, again, whatever it is they are talking about, they wouldn’t be on the COA or any other Porsche factory docs either. That ad has more holes in it than Swiss cheese in regards to the Special Wishes part.

I never commented on value, could care less about it, just pointing out the Special Wishes jargon is a pile of horse sh|t.
I come from the world of ask, don’t assume. The reason you can’t comment in a FS thread is the exact trash talking you are doing. It would be pretty easy to start a conversation with the seller and ask for an explanation. Instead it’s an public attack...
2008 Cayman S Mule
Old 01-22-2019, 09:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

No need to bring up the "Special Wishes" at $22,500. Probably sold in week anyhow. Seems like a good deal and the best part is that it will even qualify as a "Hobbyist 911" since it's technically a higher mileage NA G body that won't bring you to your knees.
Old 01-22-2019, 10:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by specialtyoneinc View Post

No need to bring up the "Special Wishes" at $22,500. Probably sold in week anyhow. Seems like a good deal and the best part is that it will even qualify as a "Hobbyist 911" since it's technically a higher mileage NA G body that won't bring you to your knees.
Agree. Nice to see some cars out there that are getting to hobby levels again. That is if they are going to hobby people.
Old 01-22-2019, 10:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
However you want to categorize it so be it, but its value is primarily in the parts. I’m actually looking for a donor for a 930 project of mine, and yet this one doesn’t even make the cut. Matt’s 25k +/- estimate is probably about spot on for the right buyer. Whether you get that selling it as a package or parting it out is another matter. Call it what you want, but any 930 in today’s world that’s estimated at 25k is really only valuing it as a parts car. Spending money to restore this isn’t necessarily the best use of that money, but then again this is Pelican, where the theme seems to be: buy a project and finance the build over time even though it won’t be worth what I’ve got into it once complete. This one is a good candidate for that line of thinking.

In other words, you're saying the car is a parts car because it's valued at $25K when it's valued at $25K because it's considered a parts car.

Nicely done. Case closed.
Old 01-22-2019, 10:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)
USAF VET

Garage
Like an old lady bridge game in here.

MattR

Last edited by matt930s; 01-22-2019 at 11:44 AM..
Old 01-22-2019, 11:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)

1984 Porsche 930 Roller ++ VALUE

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalParadise View Post
You're out of your mind. It is a 930. It's not a burned out hulk - even if it was - it would be a 930.

Here we go again down the 930-hole. The economics with never, ever make sense IF they want to turn it into one of the cars you present (and even then, it would not be one of those cars). But it will make sense in another 20 years. I guarantee it.

I remember very vividly in the late '80s when people were dragging Ferraris out of fields, ponds (I'm serious) and barns. One in particular was a NART Spyder and all there was left was a twisted, rusted, melted frame (yes, I went to the barn and picked it up) - and this went back to Italy and it became, guess what? A NART Spyder and no one cared. Because it was done right. It had a story as MANY historic race cars do - but it's still that car if you want it to be.

When did all you 930 people become such snobs. A parts car? A 934/935 conversion? Are you serious? I'm serious when I say that his is not a parts car. It's not a boat anchor. I believe it has potential. The Ferrari people are secretly laughing at us and wonder when this hobby is going to mature. I'm wondering too.

Do you call a just-found 911 prototype with chairs, flares and white gauges not a 911 prototype? Or a '73 RS that has been neglected not a RS? Or a '64 that has been wide-bodied and rusted not a '64?

930s are rare cars. Not to mention Euro 930s because they beat the hell out of them. They drove them in the rain, in the snow, off-road, on the cobble-stoned back streets. Commuted in them. As that photo shows of that white one, they drove that car and put away wet. But who cares. Unless Porsche starts tooling up for another G-Body 930 production, and Ferry comes back from the dead, then I don't know where your head is.

To someone like me it would not matter. The OPs 930 may not be a stellar 930 but it has the potential to be one. So what if someone buys it and puts all the money in. It will not be an original car but it's a 930.

$50K for the engine? Yeah, no.

Whatever. Sure if I had $100K I would buy that old sweet cranberry colored 930 that Voiture gave his son (I still like that car) that had the same color as a 924 I once owned. But I don't. Even if I did maybe I would buy the OPs 930 to see what I could do. I would put it back together very quickly and enjoy the car everyday just like Ronnie does and live decent, law-abiding Turbo good life - and not worry as much.

Parts car or 934/935 conversion. OK. We'll see.

I still believe that if this 930 has less than 30,000 miles and it was fully restored it would be worth $120,000 all day long.

I’m just not convinced $100,000 here would get you the concours level restoration you would need..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 01-22-2019, 11:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93097004xx View Post
I still believe that if this 930 has less than 30,000 miles and it was fully restored it would be worth $120,000 all day long.

I’m just not convinced $100,000 here would get you the concours level restoration you would need..

Your out of your mind. The car doesn't even have its original engine and transmission. Is the restoration shop going to pull those out of thin air?
Old 01-22-2019, 12:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)

Quote:
Your out of your mind. The car doesn't even have its original engine and transmission. Is the restoration shop going to pull those out of thin air?

Hence original miles..

Old 01-22-2019, 12:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)
gearhead

Quote:
Ed Zachary.
2008 Cayman S Mule
Old 01-22-2019, 01:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)

Who says that all 930s should immediately be procured and concours prepped?

So you have an non-original engine. So what's an '86 engine worth in parts?

Could you conceivably buy this car, put any non-turbo engine in it, and still have a regular M491 Turbo look if you wanted to? It would technically not be a fakie.

There are a lot of options here. Just because a 930 can't be brought to concours level does not mean it's not a viable car.
Old 01-22-2019, 01:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)

Quote:
I come from the world of ask, don’t assume. The reason you can’t comment in a FS thread is the exact trash talking you are doing. It would be pretty easy to start a conversation with the seller and ask for an explanation. Instead it’s an public attack...
The trash talking is in the listing. This car has a ton of special needs, but no Special Wishes of any kind. That seller is clearly misinformed.
Old 01-22-2019, 01:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #38 (permalink)

Quote:
The trash talking is in the listing. This car has a ton of special needs, but no Special Wishes of any kind. That seller is clearly misinformed.
Bwahahahhahaha. A 911 than has been massaged by the Porsche Special Needs division.
Old 01-22-2019, 01:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #39 (permalink)
Mighty Meatlocker Turbo

Quote:
. . .

When did all you 930 people become such snobs. . . .
"All", bub?!?!

Quote:
Who says that all 930s should immediately be procured and concours prepped?

. . .
I certainly don't; for the most part, I think it is a crying shame when a 930 is restored to original condition, considering that they are ripe with much suck in as-delivered, full of many compromises states.

They are made to be modded, built and hobbied to the max.

Quote:
Ha ha - fookin' hilarious!
Old 01-22-2019, 04:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #40 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: