Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Classified Ads > Porsche Marketplace Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
USAF VET

Garage
You “hate” people for that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by specialtyoneinc View Post
Agreed. I hate people who use modern tires on their classic cars the most. I only keep the original tires with the correct rubber compound on my classic collection. Anything else completely takes away the period correct feel of the drive.
Old 01-23-2019, 03:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #61 (permalink)
USAF VET

Garage
No matter how many times you post, you aren’t helping drive the values of 930’s up..

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93097004xx View Post
Yes in the context of their day. For their time there was no finer sports car in the world.

To me drive a 79 930 to experience 1979 and porsche as it was. History. Historically correct.

Drive a 86 959 to experience 1986 and porsche as it was. History. Historically correct.

Drive a 2018 918 to experience 2018 and porsche as it was. History. Historically correct.

That place in time.

You see once you go modifying you forever destroy what it was and was meant. 1979,1989,1999,2019..

Do you really want a 1977 to drive just like a 2019?

Boring.

Besides the bigger fact you are destroying porsche history.
Old 01-23-2019, 03:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #62 (permalink)
USAF VET

Garage
Superdan- after all of this, do you have an idea on where you want to be $ wise on this car?

Quote:
Originally Posted by supradan View Post
Hello folks, I’m at a point in my life where time is a valuable commodity. Having said that, I currently have an ‘84 ROW 930 that I’ve been working on for the last 15 years that I no longer have time for. I’d like to handover the project to another enthusiast, but before I do so, I’d like to get an idea on what the value of this project is as it stands. This way the seller as well as the buyer can walk away feeling that this was a fair transaction.

Without further ado, I present you my 1984 Porsche 930 ROW:

The car was purchased back in 2004 from a fellow Pelican living in Massachusetts. The gentleman that owned it before me drove it regularly around town, never tracked. However, the owner prior to him, did track it on a regular basis. As a result, you will notice the car comes with upgraded hardware.

General Info:
• Year: 1984
• Make: Porsche
• Model: 930 (911 Turbo)
• Color: Red/Black
• Millage: N/A
• VIN:WPOZZZ93ZES000351

Exterior:
At the time when I purchased the car, it was running strong (a little rich), but the body was in need of some care. The following year I sent the car out for a respray (Guards Red) and new body and window seals. In addition to the paint, I had new front and rear turbo RSR bumpers installed. There are a few blemishes on the body that can easily be overlooked for a driver’s car. Overall the body is in good shape.

General Information:
• Re-spray by a body shop (O’Hare Autobody) that specializes on Porsches 13 years ago.
• New Windshield rubber seal
• New Rubber seals around body (front bumper seals and rear bumper seals).
• Front RSR Turbo bumper from GT Racing
• Rear RSR bumper from GT Racing
• 993 Side mirrors
• Fiske 17x9 and 17x11.5 2-piece wheels with polished lip and centers power coated matte black and Sumito about 85% of thread left on them.
• Clear side signals and front signals
• Has a small scratch front driver’s side quarter panel (see pics). Small chip by locking mechanism on door jam (see pics).

Motor:
The engine (‘86 motor) on the other hand has suffered a failure that caused me to park the car for the last 9 years. Unfortunately, till this day I don’t really understand what the root cause of the engine failure was. However, the damage was done. The result was a blown-out hole between the cylinder and cylinder head. The complete write up can be found here: 3.3 Blew Up!!!

For the last 9 years or so I’ve been slowly working on the engine (‘86 motor). The cylinder heads (twin plug) have been removed and completely redone, they are ready for install. The SC cams along with the rockers have been redone and ready to be installed. A used replacement cylinder has been purchased. I have all engine parts together and ready for cleaning and installation.

In addition to the above, the engine case will need to be cracked opened, cleaned, inspected and reassembled. The left chain cover has a hole from the engine failure that would need to be repaired or purchased.

Lastly, the fuel system is from a Euro model. The fuel head was operational at the time of failure. In contrast, the warmup regulator, injector blocks and injections can be thrown out. This engine is a great candidate for a EFI conversion.

General Information:
• 1986 engine with Euro Fuel system
• K-27 Turbo upgrade
• Turbonetics upgraded intercooler
• Adjustable boost control
• Twin-plugged heads
• Crankfire ignition

Drivetrain:
The transmission is a G50 with a lightened flywheel. At the time in which the car was running, I had no issues with the trans. The clutch did slip a little above 5K rpm (I was going to upgrade regardless).

Interior:
The dash is in excellent shape. Only the tach and boost gauge work. They may just need to be rewired. The seats are in good shape. The balusters are a little worn, but still presentable. Comes with a 930S steering wheel.

General Information:
• Needs carpeting
• I have the door panel storage inserts, will include with sale
• Needs rear side panels
• Seats are in good condition
• The dash is in great condition
• Has a 935 boost gauge
• Front storage needs the carpet installed (I have the carpet that came with the car).
• 930S steering wheel
• Carbon fiber shift knob
• Bolt-on roll cage
Misc:
• The front brakes are from a 928GT4. The rears are the stock front 930 brakes. Both the front and rears have alot of meat still left on the pads and rotors.
• Sony 3-cd in-dash unit with external amplifier.
• Corner balanced.

Here are a few pics of the car and its parts. Additional pictures can be found here: Porsche 930 Roller FOR SALE by Daniel E | Photobucket

This roller will be perfect for someone that is looking for a street/track sled. I do have some recorded history, but not much. Please feel free to contact me via e-mail at 84porsche930@gmail.com or simply PM me if you have any questions. Thank you in advance for looking.
Please help me determine the value of this project. Any input is greatly welcomed and most importantly appreciated.

Kind Regards,
Daniel

Old 01-23-2019, 03:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #63 (permalink)

In the year 2019 there are very few Porsches that make the cut as parts cars. Maybe a Boxster, maybe a 944, or a 924 or a very rusted hulk of a 914 (but even these are being fixed where years ago you would immediately dismiss one because of bad longitudinals, etc). Certainly not a 930 in this condition.

We've grown out of making any midyear into a parts car. And as a midyear owner whose car would have been parted pre-2012 or pre-1990 I am happy mine wasn't. I don't understand why this 930 in this condition (which looks better than mine) would ever be a parts car.

I wish I could buy this 930 parts car and I would sell my 911 '75S parts car to buy it. In the long run any 930 is going to be worth way more than a '75S Targa.

To each his own. Obviously Voiture or some people would not consider this car or have it up on their website. But to some who want a car to drive and work on (and mod) this car is sweet. It would be worth investing the time into - for me.
Old 01-23-2019, 04:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #64 (permalink)

But then on a fire damaged and repaired 930 on BaT,

93097004xx has this to say:

"Interesting 79 930 currently on BaT..

Highly original 79 california 930 barring wood kit..

FIRE DAMAGE..

Located in canada..

Seller is stating that damage was very minimal as check for $3000 was all that was issued for damage.

I’m guessing a 40% reduction in value..

BaT bidders are skittish of any kind of negative carfax.. So probably next to no bidders.

Might be a very very good buy.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1979-porsche-930-turbo-29/"

So is this still a 930? I guess it's the magical powers of Fuchs wheels that make a 930 a 930. Or maybe it's anything pre-1980. Oh, well, I give up.
Old 01-23-2019, 04:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #65 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawknees'Turbo View Post
930xxxxxx,

I'm well aware of the performance stats of the day and also aware that Porsche left a lot on the table due to having to adhere to emissions, safety, and noise requirements of the various markets they sold them in.

The cars were not built, "as the factory intended" in many respects, but as they were forced to do (and in some cases, via outright dumbassery - the long run of the horrible 3LDZ turbocharger as a case in point - that a mindful owner would correct).

Why leave the car in half-baked performance condition when the ways and means to build the car as it was meant to be are readily available? That is vehicular neglect and abuse right there.
This sums up the entire "mod vs original" argument in a nutshell, for any 'collector' car. I agree.
These aren't Patek Philipe watches.
(I don't list the cars I've sold, because they're gone)
Old 01-23-2019, 05:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #66 (permalink)
Mighty Meatlocker Turbo

^^^

***forum dewlle-style bro-nuckles***

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt930s View Post
You “hate” people for that?
That was some juicy sarcasm on his part, Phatt.
Old 01-23-2019, 06:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #67 (permalink)
Turbo Powered Snow Blower

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by specialtyoneinc View Post
Agreed. I hate people who use modern tires on their classic cars the most. I only keep the original tires with the correct rubber compound on my classic collection. Anything else completely takes away the period correct feel of the drive.
I thought the factory ride height and tires were a horrible feel, But I don't hate you for liking it.
Old 01-23-2019, 07:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #68 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalParadise View Post
But then on a fire damaged and repaired 930 on BaT,

93097004xx has this to say:

"Interesting 79 930 currently on BaT..

Highly original 79 california 930 barring wood kit..

FIRE DAMAGE..

Located in canada..

Seller is stating that damage was very minimal as check for $3000 was all that was issued for damage.

I’m guessing a 40% reduction in value..

BaT bidders are skittish of any kind of negative carfax.. So probably next to no bidders.

Might be a very very good buy.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1979-porsche-930-turbo-29/"

So is this still a 930? I guess it's the magical powers of Fuchs wheels that make a 930 a 930. Or maybe it's anything pre-1980. Oh, well, I give up.
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1979-porsche-930-turbo-29/

This car has more red flags than a communist party. Will be surprised if it sells, unless the reserve is $50k.
Old 01-23-2019, 07:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #69 (permalink)

Hello everyone,

Thank you everyone for all the great feedback and spirited discussion.

I had no idea that posting a simple "what is this worth" thread would bring out so many arguments, but then again this is the internet and should be expected.

At this point I have somewhat of an idea on the value of this 930. And Yes its a 930 any which way you look at it. For those who think other wise, I guess these are the same folks that buy into the whole "its a fence not a wall" debate.

Again thank you everyone!
Old 01-23-2019, 08:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #70 (permalink)

Do you have any of the stock parts??

20+ year PCA member

Many Cool Porsches, Projects& Parts, Vintage BMX bikes too

http://www.bvdmotorsports.com
Active Rennlist Member.
http://members.rennlist.com/racerbvd/
See blog for my For Sale & Wanted List.
http://www.914club.com/bbs2/index.php?automodule=blog&blogid=337&
Old 01-23-2019, 08:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #71 (permalink)

Since my name has come up, here is my take Mod vs stock. Actually I prefer well modded ones to drive unless the passenger likes radio music or in a congested driving area.
The 930 project began with a purpose of building a Group 4 competitive car, not what ended in the showrooms. So what actually is original or intent ?. 930 and other Porsches from that time sort of reminds me of Enzo Ferrari's view. that "I build street cars so I can build race cars".
So like Ferrari, the race models 934 935 and so on are more valuable than street models. Another thought, most valuable Ferrari's, even the street ones from the past, have been ( horrors ) raced, repainted, restored, modded by NART etc, so what's the big deal if any 930 is a better looking or driving example if it does not still have the original air in the tires? I have had some like that and did not shed a tear when they were gone. Not that I did not appreciate them but someone wanted them more than I did.
OK, just my 2 cents.
As Raw states they left a lot of performance on the table to make it more streetable and comply with regs and bean counters wishes. I think the real enthusiasts @ Porsche thought more along the lines of Mr Ferrari when it came to what was important. Even some on this forum now site the superior performance of the stock 930 which can be enhanced with some common sense mods that Porsche themselves developed /made for the 930 to improve them in the performance and reliability categories.

Last edited by voitureltd; 01-23-2019 at 08:50 AM..
Old 01-23-2019, 08:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #72 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racerbvd View Post
Do you have any of the stock parts??
I do have some of the stock parts, mainly from the body. Thanks!
Old 01-23-2019, 08:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #73 (permalink)

supradan, This car sounds like it is a opportunity for someone with the skills (and parts ) to restore / re assemble for a nice outcome, whether to upgrade mechanically or go to stock.

Last edited by voitureltd; 01-23-2019 at 10:26 AM..
Old 01-23-2019, 10:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #74 (permalink)
gearhead

On the surface it appears silly to part out this car. However, I think the point people are making is that selling it piecemeal will net the largest return. These days that is frequently the case. It comes down to the owner and their opportunity cost of $$$ versus effort to get them. How much more do you think you can get? And how much work to get it?
2008 Cayman S Mule
Old 01-23-2019, 10:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #75 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by supradan View Post
I do have some of the stock parts, mainly from the body. Thanks!
So you do have the stock bumpers & mirrors?

20+ year PCA member

Many Cool Porsches, Projects& Parts, Vintage BMX bikes too

http://www.bvdmotorsports.com
Active Rennlist Member.
http://members.rennlist.com/racerbvd/
See blog for my For Sale & Wanted List.
http://www.914club.com/bbs2/index.php?automodule=blog&blogid=337&
Old 01-23-2019, 11:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #76 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racerbvd View Post
So you do have the stock bumpers & mirrors?
I have the bumbers but not the mirrors.
Old 01-23-2019, 11:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #77 (permalink)
Registered Minimalist

Garage
I like this car a lot. Are you interested in a running, driving, and smog exempt 1975 trade?

Yours truly,

An enthusiast.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911-technical-forum/878569-born-75-me-my-new-911s.html

Last edited by 75 911s; 01-24-2019 at 05:49 AM..
Old 01-23-2019, 12:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #78 (permalink)

Garage
Well this was a fun read.
'79 930 turbo RoW - Oak Green Metallic - k27-7200 - Kokeln Intercooler - RarlyL8 headers/muffler - Leask WuR - Tial 46mm - Rebel racing bushings front/rear - ER Monoballs front/rear - ER adjustable spring plates - 29/23mm TBs - Wevo engine mounts - Rebel racing transmission mounts
'99 4Runner Sr5
Old 01-23-2019, 02:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #79 (permalink)
914-6Werkshop

If our shop bought this car, we would modify and hot rod it and probably sell for $200k. I see guys selling hot rod SC’s for 150k.
If the guy who said this was a $25k parts car actually owned the car, he would be claiming this is a $100k unfinished project.
There are people who will pay a reasonable price for this car and have it finished into a nice driver. Some people want to drive cool Porsche’s and don’t care about bragging about numbers matching, date coded nonsense.

Last edited by mepstein; 02-03-2019 at 06:03 PM..
Old 02-03-2019, 04:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #80 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: