Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Classified Ads > Porsche Marketplace Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

1984 Porsche 930 Roller ++ VALUE

Hello folks, I’m at a point in my life where time is a valuable commodity. Having said that, I currently have an ‘84 ROW 930 that I’ve been working on for the last 15 years that I no longer have time for. I’d like to handover the project to another enthusiast, but before I do so, I’d like to get an idea on what the value of this project is as it stands. This way the seller as well as the buyer can walk away feeling that this was a fair transaction.

Without further ado, I present you my 1984 Porsche 930 ROW:

The car was purchased back in 2004 from a fellow Pelican living in Massachusetts. The gentleman that owned it before me drove it regularly around town, never tracked. However, the owner prior to him, did track it on a regular basis. As a result, you will notice the car comes with upgraded hardware.

General Info:
• Year: 1984
• Make: Porsche
• Model: 930 (911 Turbo)
• Color: Red/Black
• Millage: N/A
• VIN:WPOZZZ93ZES000351

Exterior:
At the time when I purchased the car, it was running strong (a little rich), but the body was in need of some care. The following year I sent the car out for a respray (Guards Red) and new body and window seals. In addition to the paint, I had new front and rear turbo RSR bumpers installed. There are a few blemishes on the body that can easily be overlooked for a driver’s car. Overall the body is in good shape.

General Information:
• Re-spray by a body shop (O’Hare Autobody) that specializes on Porsches 13 years ago.
• New Windshield rubber seal
• New Rubber seals around body (front bumper seals and rear bumper seals).
• Front RSR Turbo bumper from GT Racing
• Rear RSR bumper from GT Racing
• 993 Side mirrors
• Fiske 17x9 and 17x11.5 2-piece wheels with polished lip and centers power coated matte black and Sumito about 85% of thread left on them.
• Clear side signals and front signals
• Has a small scratch front driver’s side quarter panel (see pics). Small chip by locking mechanism on door jam (see pics).

Motor:
The engine (‘86 motor) on the other hand has suffered a failure that caused me to park the car for the last 9 years. Unfortunately, till this day I don’t really understand what the root cause of the engine failure was. However, the damage was done. The result was a blown-out hole between the cylinder and cylinder head. The complete write up can be found here: 3.3 Blew Up!!!

For the last 9 years or so I’ve been slowly working on the engine (‘86 motor). The cylinder heads (twin plug) have been removed and completely redone, they are ready for install. The SC cams along with the rockers have been redone and ready to be installed. A used replacement cylinder has been purchased. I have all engine parts together and ready for cleaning and installation.

In addition to the above, the engine case will need to be cracked opened, cleaned, inspected and reassembled. The left chain cover has a hole from the engine failure that would need to be repaired or purchased.

Lastly, the fuel system is from a Euro model. The fuel head was operational at the time of failure. In contrast, the warmup regulator, injector blocks and injections can be thrown out. This engine is a great candidate for a EFI conversion.

General Information:
• 1986 engine with Euro Fuel system
• K-27 Turbo upgrade
• Turbonetics upgraded intercooler
• Adjustable boost control
• Twin-plugged heads
• Crankfire ignition

Drivetrain:
The transmission is a G50 with a lightened flywheel. At the time in which the car was running, I had no issues with the trans. The clutch did slip a little above 5K rpm (I was going to upgrade regardless).

Interior:
The dash is in excellent shape. Only the tach and boost gauge work. They may just need to be rewired. The seats are in good shape. The balusters are a little worn, but still presentable. Comes with a 930S steering wheel.

General Information:
• Needs carpeting
• I have the door panel storage inserts, will include with sale
• Needs rear side panels
• Seats are in good condition
• The dash is in great condition
• Has a 935 boost gauge
• Front storage needs the carpet installed (I have the carpet that came with the car).
• 930S steering wheel
• Carbon fiber shift knob
• Bolt-on roll cage
Misc:
• The front brakes are from a 928GT4. The rears are the stock front 930 brakes. Both the front and rears have alot of meat still left on the pads and rotors.
• Sony 3-cd in-dash unit with external amplifier.
• Corner balanced.

Here are a few pics of the car and its parts. Additional pictures can be found here: http://s998.photobucket.com/user/dantam90/library/Porsche%20930%20Roller%20FOR%20SALE?sort=3&page=1

This roller will be perfect for someone that is looking for a street/track sled. I do have some recorded history, but not much. Please feel free to contact me via e-mail at 84porsche930@gmail.com or simply PM me if you have any questions. Thank you in advance for looking.
Please help me determine the value of this project. Any input is greatly welcomed and most importantly appreciated.

Kind Regards,
Daniel

Last edited by supradan; 01-20-2019 at 10:19 AM..
Old 01-20-2019, 10:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Those wheels look great with red.
Old 01-20-2019, 04:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

This is exactly the kind of project I love. For my adult life, my car hobby has been fulfilled by buying slightly needy cars and rebuilding to my desires, mostly muscle cars, and trucks. My problem is that I never sell anything, so I cant say I have ever made any money, but it makes a good story to my wife. I bought a 911 about 5 years ago that similarly had needs, but not as extensive as this turbo. I got a rude awakening, 911 parts are ridiculously expensive and the value of buying an incomplete or needy car disappeared. In the Porsche world, it seems that you are 10ís of thousands ahead buying completed cars.

That said, BAT seems to be a reasonable sourced to go for representative prices. Some would argue that BAT prices are somewhat high, but auction results are what they are. BAT usually doesnít have non running cars, but there is a pretty good selection of 930ís sold in the past year to get values of what it is worth completed.

This should be a search of recent 930 sales:
https://bringatrailer.com/porsche/930-turbo/

Lots of ďnormalĒ 930s in the 50-70k range. By normal, I mean not crazy low mile, not highly modded, not slant nose, and with proper original engines in good condition.

If you go backwards from there with the repairs needed to yours, you get to a number that approaches scrap value. I know it doesnít make sense, but that seems to be the economics these days.

I would be interested, but Iím afraid my number would be insulting.
Old 01-21-2019, 07:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
gearhead

$25k+/-
2008 Cayman S Mule
Old 01-21-2019, 07:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by onevoice View Post
This is exactly the kind of project I love. For my adult life, my car hobby has been fulfilled by buying slightly needy cars and rebuilding to my desires, mostly muscle cars, and trucks. My problem is that I never sell anything, so I cant say I have ever made any money, but it makes a good story to my wife. I bought a 911 about 5 years ago that similarly had needs, but not as extensive as this turbo. I got a rude awakening, 911 parts are ridiculously expensive and the value of buying an incomplete or needy car disappeared. In the Porsche world, it seems that you are 10ís of thousands ahead buying completed cars.

That said, BAT seems to be a reasonable sourced to go for representative prices. Some would argue that BAT prices are somewhat high, but auction results are what they are. BAT usually doesnít have non running cars, but there is a pretty good selection of 930ís sold in the past year to get values of what it is worth completed.

This should be a search of recent 930 sales:

https://bringatrailer.com/porsche/930-turbo/

Lots of ďnormalĒ 930s in the 50-70k range. By normal, I mean not crazy low mile, not highly modded, not slant nose, and with proper original engines in good condition.

If you go backwards from there with the repairs needed to yours, you get to a number that approaches scrap value. I know it doesnít make sense, but that seems to be the economics these days.

I would be interested, but Iím afraid my number would be insulting.

Not seen a 930 that runs sell for anything close to $50,000 in some time..

$60,000... high miles\track-dogs..

$70,000... 90k+ mile drivers

$80,000... upper drivers miles in the 70k range

$100,000.. condition 3 miles 30k to 50k.

$150,000.. condition 2 miles 20,000 or less

$275,000 to $500,000... condition 1 miles less than 5000 or preproduction 1975.

Scottsdale auctions last weekend most every 930 sold at $100,000 or more..

There was a 170,000 mile 930 that was modded selling for $66,000...

Mods kill.. more than high miles.

930s are NOT HOBBYIST cars. They will bring a hobbyist to their knees in hurry.

A engine and transmission overhaul is now $35,000 to $50,000 depending on your part of the country..

That is not touching anything else besides engine and trans.

A complete mechanical restoration both body and mechanical would run $100,000+

A hobbyist is best left to NA G bodies with higher miles.

That said the above 84 is no longer a 930.

You would probably be better off selling it as a track car.

Last edited by 93097004xx; 01-21-2019 at 08:55 AM..
Old 01-21-2019, 07:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

OP. Here's a running $50k range 930 to help you with pricing.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1980-porsche-930-turbo-4/
Old 01-21-2019, 09:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93097004xx View Post
Not seen a 930 that runs sell for anything close to $50,000 in some time..

$60,000... high miles\track-dogs..

$70,000... 90k+ mile drivers

$80,000... upper drivers miles in the 70k range

$100,000.. condition 3 miles 30k to 50k.

$150,000.. condition 2 miles 20,000 or less

$275,000 to $500,000... condition 1 miles less than 5000 or preproduction 1975.

Scottsdale auctions last weekend most every 930 sold at $100,000 or more..

There was a 170,000 mile 930 that was modded selling for $66,000...

Mods kill.. more than high miles.

A engine and transmission overhaul is now $35,000 to $50,000 depending on your part of the country..

That is not touching anything else besides engine and trans
Yep.
The BAT link has 29 930s sold in the last year between 50k-100k. Most in the middle of that range, and most were similar to your categories, ie driver-ish cars with miles. The car above will never even be in that range because is has a non original motor. From a collector point of view, I think a non original motor will always keep it in the condition 4 range, no matter how nice it is.

On the other hand, a turbo is a turbo for someone who wants one to just drive around. I would love have one like that, but the costs involved in getting it going have sucked the wind out of that market. It costs just as much to keep up an orphan as it does a collectible garage queen, one you may break even on, the other is a money pit.
Old 01-21-2019, 09:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by specialtyoneinc View Post
OP. Here's a running $50k range 930 to help you with pricing.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1980-porsche-930-turbo-4/

You get what you pay for!

Let us remember the old porsche adage that must always be adhered to as it is forever true.

There is no such thing as a good cheap porsche just as there is no such thing as cheap good porsche.

That example has RUSTED OUT ROCKER PANELS...

Rust all over in fact.

Please check the pictures.

Last edited by 93097004xx; 01-21-2019 at 01:15 PM..
Old 01-21-2019, 09:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Here are just a few pictures.

Last edited by 93097004xx; 01-21-2019 at 03:15 PM..
Old 01-21-2019, 09:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by onevoice View Post
Yep.

The BAT link has 29 930s sold in the last year between 50k-100k. Most in the middle of that range, and most were similar to your categories, ie driver-ish cars with miles. The car above will never even be in that range because is has a non original motor. From a collector point of view, I think a non original motor will always keep it in the condition 4 range, no matter how nice it is.

On the other hand, a turbo is a turbo for someone who wants one to just drive around. I would love have one like that, but the costs involved in getting it going have sucked the wind out of that market. It costs just as much to keep up an orphan as it does a collectible garage queen, one you may break even on, the other is a money pit.

Iím sorry Iím looking at this graph and seeing a majority of the sales are around the $100,000 range not the lower ranges you refer to.

Yes aircooled porsches are not for the hobbyist any longer.

They are however not money pits as you will get a large portion if not more back with restoring or up keep of a aircooled porsche.

Last edited by 93097004xx; 01-21-2019 at 09:58 AM..
Old 01-21-2019, 09:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

This car is worth more for its parts than it is as a candidate for a full restoration. You could spend say 100k properly restoring it, and then probably not be able to get that 100k back out of it once complete.

Just my two cents...
Old 01-21-2019, 10:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

To OP just advertise your air cooled as a project be open to offers.

I donít believe itís a 930 anymore your prospective buyers are probably those looking to build a race car 934/935.

I believe from the pictures you show it would come to north of $50,000 just to get the mechanics sorted thatís before the bodywork and interior which is easily another $50,000.

If youíre wondering what a really nice 84 930 is priced at or what the market commands there isnít a example on BaT to reference but there is a nice 85 930 to use as a guide.

These are stunners when they arenít modified or brought to forms the factory didnít intend. When they are in fact truly a 930.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1985-porsche-911-turbo-4/

Last edited by 93097004xx; 01-21-2019 at 03:12 PM..
Old 01-21-2019, 10:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMS935 View Post
This car is worth more for its parts than it is as a candidate for a full restoration. You could spend say 100k properly restoring it, and then probably not be able to get that 100k back out of it once complete.

Just my two cents...
You can spend $100K on restoring a 912 for that matter.

The OP's 930 is a driver, with an engine that needs a rebuild.

$20-30K I say.
Old 01-21-2019, 11:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmax View Post
You can spend $100K on restoring a 912 for that matter.

The OP's 930 is a driver, with an engine that needs a rebuild.

$20-30K I say.
However you want to categorize it so be it, but its value is primarily in the parts. Iím actually looking for a donor for a 930 project of mine, and yet this one doesnít even make the cut. Mattís 25k +/- estimate is probably about spot on for the right buyer. Whether you get that selling it as a package or parting it out is another matter. Call it what you want, but any 930 in todayís world thatís estimated at 25k is really only valuing it as a parts car. Spending money to restore this isnít necessarily the best use of that money, but then again this is Pelican, where the theme seems to be: buy a project and finance the build over time even though it wonít be worth what Iíve got into it once complete. This one is a good candidate for that line of thinking.
Old 01-21-2019, 11:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Wish I had a freshly rebuilt 930 engine sitting around.
Old 01-21-2019, 01:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Garage
I know where there is one for sale.

Asking price 40k and its yours!
Old 01-21-2019, 01:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Quote:
I’m sorry I’m looking at this graph and seeing a majority of the sales are around the $100,000 range not the lower ranges you refer to.
I was comparing cars more like what this post was about, ie not really nice lower mile cars. The 60-80 range is where the “drivers” live, which is what this car could reasonable be. Except it doesn’t have the original engine, so it sits in the bottom of that range

The issue to me is that almost anything not a rust bucket will bring 20s, even if it needs an engine rebuild. Even 912s are bringing that and this turbo runs better with the hole blown in the cylinder, just kidding, not really

I would even give mid 20s, with the vague hope I could get it running cheaply, and I realize I probably couldn’t.

Last edited by onevoice; 01-21-2019 at 02:35 PM..
Old 01-21-2019, 02:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Mighty Meatlocker Turbo

Quote:
. . .

. . .

A hobbyist is best left to NA G bodies with higher miles.

. . .
Absolute and utter horse shiit.
Old 01-21-2019, 04:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

id give 20K for that pile ....
Old 01-22-2019, 04:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawknees'Turbo View Post
Absolute and utter horse shiit.
Totally. You beat me to it. This ludicrous attitude is exactly what kills this hobby and helps to drive up prices.
Old 01-22-2019, 06:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: