Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Classified Ads > Porsche Marketplace Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by speednme1 View Post
Seinfeld seems to have some ties with the factory. Why not just have someone from the factory inspect and authenticate the car if itís the real deal. Kind of hard to dispute with the factory. Someone from Porscheís ne Classic Program should be able to help.
I think the Factory would not be the place to go to authenticate a 356, they only remembered the 356 was a Porsche a couple of years ago. How many 356 Carrera's do you think they've restored in the last 20 years? Probably none, maybe one or two. There are far greater experts on these cars than the Factory, people who have worked on them since the beginning and never stopped. Too bad Gerry McCarthy isn't with us, he is the one who authenticated 550-0001 when it was found in a shoe factory in Mexico. This was Gerry's shop in the early 2000's.

---Adam

356 Registry 17369
Early 911S Registry
912 Registry, PCA
Old 02-05-2019, 04:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #81 (permalink)
Mighty Meatlocker Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unobtanium-inc View Post
Yeah, the 550 beat Ferrari because it drives like a shopping cart, dude, you really need to learn some Porsche history. Do you want me to lend you a copy of Excellence was Expected?

---Adam
I'm not talking about ancient history perceptions of a vehicle's road manners, but how I would likely interpret a wheel-barrow-wheel-wearing car's behaviour if I were to drive one today. You're welcome!
Old 02-05-2019, 05:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #82 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawknees'Turbo View Post
I'm not talking about ancient history perceptions of a vehicle's road manners, but how I would likely interpret a wheel-barrow-wheel-wearing car's behaviour if I were to drive one today. You're welcome!
What it would take to drive a 550 is skill, do you have skillz? But you better be small, I'm 5'9" and I look big in 0054.

---Adam

356 Registry 17369
Early 911S Registry
912 Registry, PCA
Old 02-05-2019, 05:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #83 (permalink)

They are incredibly small and there isn't much to them.

I have worked on several 550s and RSK 718s for racing prep. When you look at them and sit in them you realize that James Dean did not have a chance against that Ford - no way, no how, no mam, no sir.

And an interesting thing as well - people get all worked up about James Dean's "lost" 550 and are in the hopes it will be found. If you look close at the wreckage and in the wreckage that toured the country, there really wasn't much left for it to be a car. If you remove the trans, engine, rear deck, interior, etc - there isn't much to a 550 especially when it has crumpled panels.
Old 02-05-2019, 05:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #84 (permalink)
Mighty Meatlocker Turbo

Quote:
What it would take to drive a 550 is skill, do you have skillz? But you better be small, I'm 5'9" and I look big in 0054.

---Adam
Isn't that code for, "Handles like dog shiit", (reminiscent of, "That's called character", which a certain someone likes to say when I bring up the 930s' many operational flaws)?!?!
Old 02-05-2019, 05:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #85 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalParadise View Post
They are incredibly small and there isn't much to them.

I have worked on several 550s and RSK 718s for racing prep. When you look at them and sit in them you realize that James Dean did not have a chance against that Ford - no way, no how, no mam, no sir.

And an interesting thing as well - people get all worked up about James Dean's "lost" 550 and are in the hopes it will be found. If you look close at the wreckage and in the wreckage that toured the country, there really wasn't much left for it to be a car. If you remove the trans, engine, rear deck, interior, etc - there isn't much to a 550 especially when it has crumpled panels.
The day after.
---Adam

356 Registry 17369
Early 911S Registry
912 Registry, PCA
Old 02-05-2019, 05:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #86 (permalink)
Mighty Meatlocker Turbo

^^^

Some would float a few gallons of filler on that and insist it had never been wrecked, or even driven in rain!
Old 02-05-2019, 05:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #87 (permalink)

Adam it's interesting that you bring up 550-001 - and that's an interesting case as you know as I read your story.

There was nothing original left to that car accept for a couple small things - like the tiny bony frame. No body, no engine, no trans, no brakes. And now we have 550-001 that was brought back from nothing and it's called a restoration. It's not even a resurrection. There was really nothing to resurrect. It's a new car. It's a recreation built on an old frame.

Funny how some things pass the test and are up to snuff while others are pooh-poohed. This is what happened to many racing Ferraris. Philosophically it's not the same car nor will it ever be.
Old 02-05-2019, 05:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #88 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalParadise View Post
Adam it's interesting that you bring up 550-001 - and that's an interesting case as you know as I read your story.

There was nothing original left to that car accept for a couple small things - like the tiny bony frame. No body, no engine, no trans, no brakes. And now we have 550-001 that was brought back from nothing and it's called a restoration. It's not even a resurrection. There was really nothing to resurrect. It's a new car. It's a recreation built on an old frame.

Funny how some things pass the test and are up to snuff while others are pooh-poohed. This is what happened to many racing Ferraris. Philosophically it's not the same car nor will it ever be.
The difference is 550-0001 was authenticated as what was left of 01, so whoever bought it had the right to restore the car, even if it was 99% restored. The difference that happens more often is some guy says he scrapped a car, but saved the hinge cover (the removable vin plate), so a guy builds the car, except the car didn't get scrapped, a guy dragged it home from the scrap place, so you now have two cars, one VIN. Every open house some guy walks up to the wall, and says, "There are Speedsters and Roadsters up there, you can built a Speedster!" Nope, nope, nope.

---Adam

356 Registry 17369
Early 911S Registry
912 Registry, PCA
Old 02-05-2019, 05:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #89 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:

---Adam

They drive pretty nicely. I got the chance to drive the blue Spyder at Speedsterfest in 2004. It was much quicker than I had anticipated. My youngest son didn't get a chance to ride in it, he just got to sit in the car. The owner for many years was Joel Horvitz (he's in the center of the 3 guys in the background) who jumped in the car with me and let me take it out. Sadly Joel passed in 2006, and the following year the car was sold to Seinfeld.

Old 02-05-2019, 09:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #90 (permalink)

Seinfeld Accused Of Auctioning Off Bogus '58 Speedster

Common sense will tell you a billionaire would not risk his name selling a fake for 1.5 million.

That would be like you and I passing off a fake what ever for $1500..

Yes I believe he knew it had less than stellar provenance but SO MANY blue chip collector cars started off as a VIN plate..

Iíve said this without reading the entire article but there again he is NOT going to knowingly sell a out and out fake through a highly public auction platform being a world personality and a billionaire.

Makes zero sense.

Last edited by 93097004xx; 02-06-2019 at 05:18 AM..
Old 02-06-2019, 05:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #91 (permalink)

just another negotiation...... It will settle.
Old 02-06-2019, 06:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #92 (permalink)
Turbonut

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macroni View Post
just another negotiation...... It will settle.
I surely hope that it will not settle. I hope that in the complete and utter nonsense of situation as it is the stupid buyer who hopes to unload some of the losses by suing JS will be proven to be a moron and sued back for slander.

They say that suing is national sport of americans (not baseball, not american football etc), only there Porsche can be sued multiple times for Carrera GT (because idiot drivers have killed themselves), not even talking about 964 turbo times..
And then similar drivers tell that you cannot dragrace a Porsche. *facepalm*
Old 02-06-2019, 07:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #93 (permalink)

Seinfeld Accused Of Auctioning Off Bogus '58 Speedster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raceboy View Post
I surely hope that it will not settle. I hope that in the complete and utter nonsense of situation as it is the stupid buyer who hopes to unload some of the losses by suing JS will be proven to be a moron and sued back for slander.

They say that suing is national sport of americans (not baseball, not american football etc), only there Porsche can be sued multiple times for Carrera GT (because idiot drivers have killed themselves), not even talking about 964 turbo times..

And then similar drivers tell that you cannot dragrace a Porsche. *facepalm*

Porsche was sued in the US over the 930 and LOST!!

Female driver,california.. killed her passenger in a 930.

If I remember right..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 02-06-2019, 09:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #94 (permalink)
Taunter of Asshats

Fica Frio argues that when a Porsche expert examined the Speedster in preparation for reselling it, he found that the car lacked documentation or restoration photographs to support its authenticity. The suit does not include any specifics or proof that the car is not authentic.

https://journal.classiccars.com/2019/02/04/jerry-seinfeld-sued-for-allegedly-selling-falsified-porsche-at-auction/?utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook&utm_campaig n=addthis&fbclid=IwAR1mvXUA1oUcS_UjULWFfMAcL4w5x1z yrv6FhKJyfNzybp_CPk9J-0fwFqg

Buyer's remorse/nuisance suit. I guess buyer wanted a good carfax.

#red-beard2020
Old 02-09-2019, 04:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #95 (permalink)
devalued member

Location: Mumbai West, Silicon Valley Ca but headed to the foothills soon
Garage
always wondered what jerry's screen name here is. being such a Porsche guy, not having a job I bet he checks in here just like the rest of us a few times a day... who knows,,, it could be me or maybe even raw.

its not like he's a member of big head todd or anything super cool like that....
78SC PRC Spec911(sold 12/15) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7I6HCCKrVQ
Old 02-09-2019, 05:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #96 (permalink)
USAF VET

Garage
It’s me.

(No soup for you)...

JS....err....MattR

Last edited by matt930s; 02-09-2019 at 06:42 PM..
Old 02-09-2019, 06:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #97 (permalink)
Text me.828-230-0788

Garage
The article cited above....no new news. IMO I would tell the buyers to pound sand. But that's me
Old 02-09-2019, 06:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #98 (permalink)

Garage
ďThe suit does not include any specifics or proof that the car is not authentic.Ē
I would be surprised if JS (& his counsel) did not have a well-crafted As-Is statement signed - one appropriate for celebrities doing big private deals with strangers.
Old 02-09-2019, 07:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #99 (permalink)
Mighty Meatlocker Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt930s View Post
Itís me.

(No soup for you)...

JS....err....MattR
Phatt Seinfeld has a ring to it!
Old 02-09-2019, 10:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #100 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: