Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Classified Ads > Porsche Marketplace Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Need advice on 1968 911S purchase

I guess tis the season for pricing help. Been quite a few lately.

I have the opportunity to purchase a 68 Euro 911S coupe that is in need of restoration.
It's got a real crappy paint job right now.
It would be a great patina ride but I dont see that being the end result.

I have seen the cardex and the engine and trans numbers are a match. Also it has the correct date coded Fuchs and correct carbs.
I'm thinking it was a special order as the outside color is green and the interior is red with pepita insets as per the cardex. As expected it has a rear wiper, gas heater and an outside thermometer option. Car was originally delivered to Switzerland.

It is a non runner that has been sitting in a heated garage for around 10 years.
Engine turns freely. Car rolls fine in neutral.
It needs a floor pan section but probably best to do the whole pan. The rest of the underside looks pretty good.

Seats and door panels are there and could probably be saved but it would take a skilled upholsterer to fix some of the issues. Pockets are fine.

I am on the fence. Would love to keep it but my garages are full so I may just get it road worthy and pass it along.

Any help much appreciated.
Thanks.Luki
Old 02-14-2019, 12:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
seeker of wisdom

So what exactly are you asking here? Are you looking for a reasonable price to buy it at? Or are you posting this to see how many people will PM you to buy it from you and what you should sell it for? Sounds like you just want to flip it...
Car sounds like it is worth $200-$250K tip top, but would take a $150K+ restoration to get it there. My shop sold a similar condition but missing the engine 67s Targa a few years ago during the peak of the market for $70K. Owner then bought a fully rebuilt correct motor for $35K. Maybe Adam @ Unobtanium will chime in, he probably has a better grasp of the current market.

Last edited by JJK78-951; 02-14-2019 at 03:31 PM..
Old 02-14-2019, 03:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
I am looking for opinions regarding a fair price to buyer and seller.
Neither of us know the current market. The seller does not want to make the investment to get it running. I am willing to do the work and if it turns out I can do it and afford to keep the car I will need to make room some how.
If I wind up with more in the car than I can justify then I will sell it.
The advice I have gotten so far has been helpful.
Thanks.
Old 02-15-2019, 06:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Only 1200 or so “S”s in 1968. Add the 1800 or so from 1967 and you have one of 3000 SWB Esses; my favorite of all of the longhood models. Being #s matching, but in rough shape and not running, I think a range of $90-120K would be fair. It’s going to take at least an equal amount to get it in great condition.

One note - 1968 was a transition year for the factory. Lot of “one year only” parts. Early 1968 model year Esses had an aluminum case, later ones had a mag case. Elephant hide interior upholstery is another one off, again only found on early MY cars. Rear view mirror....don’t even get me started.

Good luck.
Old 02-15-2019, 01:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabberwocky View Post
Only 1200 or so “S”s in 1968. Add the 1800 or so from 1967 and you have one of 3000 SWB Esses; my favorite of all of the longhood models. Being #s matching, but in rough shape and not running, I think a range of $90-120K would be fair. It’s going to take at least an equal amount to get it in great condition.

One note - 1968 was a transition year for the factory. Lot of “one year only” parts. Early 1968 model year Esses had an aluminum case, later ones had a mag case. Elephant hide interior upholstery is another one off, again only found on early MY cars. Rear view mirror....don’t even get me started.

Good luck.
Thank you. And please elaborate more on 68 S I would love to learn more.
Old 02-15-2019, 02:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabberwocky View Post

Good luck.
I agree.
Old 02-16-2019, 04:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: