Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help



Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Classified Ads > Porsche Marketplace Discussion


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered User
 
Mike80911's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: New York Where only a criminal can have a gun
Posts: 1,727
Garage
New Auction Site for P Cars

I received an email about this new site where the only cars up for auction will be Porsche cars. Seems a little like bat but I like some of the features better like blind auctions, setting your own reserve and the fact that if the car does not meet reserve the bid amounts will not be displayed. Seems more seller friendly than other sites. What do you guys think

https://www.pcarmarket.com/about/
__________________
86 930 Grand Prix White
11 Cayenne
Old 02-22-2019, 05:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Former Options Trader !!!
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 5,977
I wish them luck but BAT has the first mover advantage and I wouldn't consider listing my cars anywhere but BAT at this point.
__________________
Current:88 Guards Red Coupe, 89 Coupe Track Rat, 76 Caddy Eldo Convert. 2015 Aprilia Tuono
Wrecked 1987 Targa Guards Red, 2003 Ducati ST4S
Sold 1987 Granite Green Targa, 993's, 93 RSA, other 964 coupes, 89 911 Turbo Ruf mods, 90 e30 M3, 07 BMW R1200S STOLEN 94 Speedster
Old 02-22-2019, 05:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Bayside Wi
Posts: 2,656
Looks good to me ( so far ) when I decide to sell something. Good luck for them. Getting the good ones for auction is very helpful.
__________________
Anthony @ Voitureltd Bayside WI.
Old 02-22-2019, 06:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Mike80911's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: New York Where only a criminal can have a gun
Posts: 1,727
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by trader220 View Post
I wish them luck but BAT has the first mover advantage and I wouldn't consider listing my cars anywhere but BAT at this point.
I agree that it will be hard to compete with BAT but first does not always mean best. Have you sold any cars on BAT? I wanted to list my 930 last year and they wanted a ridiculously low reserve I told them I was not comfortable with the reserve and they said "it should sell for well above that" so I asked why don't we have a higher reserve then? They said no.
__________________
86 930 Grand Prix White
11 Cayenne
Old 02-22-2019, 07:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Registered User
 
sugarwood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 5,438
Garage
They should have saved themselves the $10 domain registrar fee.
Network effect
__________________
1986 3.2 911 coupe.
Old 02-22-2019, 08:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Registered User
 
specialtyoneinc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: In Traffic
Posts: 1,467
BAT has the market cornered. Don't see them making an impact unless they have some cash behind them and can get some exclusive high demand / quality cars with full transparency.
Old 02-22-2019, 08:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: PNW
Posts: 517
Someone posted this before, maybe it was the OP.

I agree with Trader220. BAT pretty much has the online Porsche auction marketplace cornered. Unless they are willing to spend huge money on advertising and incentivizing people to sell cars with them they have no chance. Even then I doubt they can actually make money.

The only way I see this being profitable is if it’s a scam.
__________________
_______________________________
1982 911 SC 230,000mi and counting
Old 02-22-2019, 09:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 416
First to market place doesn't create a mote. I remember when everyone Yahoo'd, and said, "What is Google"???
Old 02-22-2019, 10:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Registered User
 
sugarwood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 5,438
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertmark View Post
First to market place doesn't create a mote. I remember when everyone Yahoo'd, and said, "What is Google"???
Right, but what is this new site offering that doesn't already exist in the market? Nothing. that's why they will fail.
__________________
1986 3.2 911 coupe.
Old 02-22-2019, 10:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 416
Wow, they will fail?? What do you know??? I'll bet that's what the Sears execs said as they were laughing when they heard about a company called Amazon. Nobody, and I mean nobody, is bullet proof. Absolutely naÔve to believe BAT cannot be disrupted.
Old 02-22-2019, 11:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Registered User
 
sugarwood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 5,438
Garage
Again, what is the new widget offering that doesn't already exist in the market? Your examples of Amazon and Google contradict your own argument. Learn the difference between a disrupter and a me-too copycat.
__________________
1986 3.2 911 coupe.
Old 02-22-2019, 11:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 571
For you, sugarwouldn't--the biggest and best--the Bowmar Brain.

https://www.educalc.net/1904485.page
Old 02-22-2019, 11:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
Administrator
 
Dmitry at Pelican Parts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 4,571
Garage
According to their Instagram, they're going to be selling one of Magnus' cars - I think this will set the bar/tone for future sales and how the overall process is perceived.
Old 02-22-2019, 12:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 416
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarwood View Post
Again, what is the new widget offering that doesn't already exist in the market? Your examples of Amazon and Google contradict your own argument. Learn the difference between a disrupter and a me-too copycat.
As they are a new, yet to open for business company, we do not know yet. Your comments remind me of a family member, a real know it all. If only I could have your knowledge of economics and business model understanding. Iím so jealous!!!!!
Old 02-22-2019, 12:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Former Options Trader !!!
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 5,977
I agree that first mover doesn't always win out in the end. Its really interesting to watch Uber and Lyft duke it out right now.

I have looked at this idea many times with quite a few other people in the business. Its not an easy model to duplicate because BAT had huge minions before they ever started with auctions. They also don't focus on just Porsche.

In order to be successful you'd have to offer more than just Porsche. The bigger deal is you'd have to spend a fortune on marketing. You'd need to go out and get sellers to sign on with you and then market heavily. BAT is a grassroots operation they already have in roads all over the place and people who promote it for free. They're also little guy friendly. My hats off to those guys, they've built a printing press for the time being. They could do a whole lot more, they don't sell a dime of advertising on their site, they could also get a piece of PPI money and trucking money, the list goes on and on. Maybe someone will buy them out and fully monetize the business, my fear is it may turn too many people off and they'd lose what they have. One of the good things about BAT is its little guy nature.

@Mike80911 I have sold a number of cars on BAT, and they have also rejected a number of cars I wanted to sell there. Because its a small time business they can do whatever they like, I find no rhyme or reason as to why the accept some cars and reject others aside from, they think something's cool or not. I am okay with that too. The cars I do sell I am pretty confident will do well so I don't worry too much about the reserve. I have a couple in the shoot I am going to offer no reserve too.

BAT has its faults but I enjoy it, I support it and I think it would be hard to duplicate.

Sometimes I am shocked at the crazy money people throw at some cars which are clearly turds or like cars can be bought much cheaper, but hey they're not spending my money. I do feel some sort of obligation to point out some of the gross deficiencies or wrong info, but often that gets people in a tizzy because they don't want to know the truth they want to bid on shiny objects. I got lambasted for laughing at the spray on bed liner interior of yesterday's 964. Such is life.

There are sellers on there who just straight up suck. They lie, they shill post, they shill bid, they hide things, the photograph around issues, they make up stories to answer legit questions people ask. The beauty of the BAT model is that they're not responsible for that and they let the minions vet the sellers.
__________________
Current:88 Guards Red Coupe, 89 Coupe Track Rat, 76 Caddy Eldo Convert. 2015 Aprilia Tuono
Wrecked 1987 Targa Guards Red, 2003 Ducati ST4S
Sold 1987 Granite Green Targa, 993's, 93 RSA, other 964 coupes, 89 911 Turbo Ruf mods, 90 e30 M3, 07 BMW R1200S STOLEN 94 Speedster

Last edited by trader220; 02-22-2019 at 01:44 PM..
Old 02-22-2019, 12:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: NY
Posts: 1,337
Whatever it is needs eyeballs.
That’s BATs USP - huge audience baked in after they built a mailing list.
How does this place drive traffic?
Old 02-22-2019, 01:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Unobtanium-inc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Hudson Valley, New York
Posts: 3,295
Not sure if this site will make it, but just because BAT is doing well doesn't mean it won't. Remember everyone laughed when BAT started auctions, EBAY had auctions on lock, no one is laughing anymore. Also, the PCAR site does have an angle, it's only Porsches, so if they do it right, they could make it.
Only time will tell....

---Adam
__________________
http://www.unobtanium-inc.com

356 Registry 17369
Early 911S Registry
912 Registry, PCA
Old 02-22-2019, 03:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Former Options Trader !!!
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 5,977
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unobtanium-inc View Post
Not sure if this site will make it, but just because BAT is doing well doesn't mean it won't. Remember everyone laughed when BAT started auctions, EBAY had auctions on lock, no one is laughing anymore. Also, the PCAR site does have an angle, it's only Porsches, so if they do it right, they could make it.
Only time will tell....

---Adam

I don't remember anyone laughing when BAT started with auctions, in fact many people said just the opposite because eBay's auctions were garbage. The thing with BAT is its not just an auction, its the comments, and the extended bidding so no sniping. EBay has little in common.
__________________
Current:88 Guards Red Coupe, 89 Coupe Track Rat, 76 Caddy Eldo Convert. 2015 Aprilia Tuono
Wrecked 1987 Targa Guards Red, 2003 Ducati ST4S
Sold 1987 Granite Green Targa, 993's, 93 RSA, other 964 coupes, 89 911 Turbo Ruf mods, 90 e30 M3, 07 BMW R1200S STOLEN 94 Speedster
Old 02-22-2019, 04:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Unobtanium-inc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Hudson Valley, New York
Posts: 3,295
Quote:
Originally Posted by trader220 View Post
I don't remember anyone laughing when BAT started with auctions, in fact many people said just the opposite because eBay's auctions were garbage. The thing with BAT is its not just an auction, its the comments, and the extended bidding so no sniping. EBay has little in common.
Amongst those in the business there was much eye rolling when BAT launched their auctions. Like I said, no one is laughing now, but saying someone can't do it better, cheaper, or make it in this market is naive.
Also, BAT has worked really well for enthusiasts selling cars to other enthusiasts, those cars go for big money, but many a dealer has crashed and burned trying BAT, it's not always the most welcoming environment for them. So if this new site caters better to Porsche sellers of the pro persuasion they might have an angle there.

---Adam
__________________
http://www.unobtanium-inc.com

356 Registry 17369
Early 911S Registry
912 Registry, PCA
Old 02-22-2019, 04:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
Former Options Trader !!!
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 5,977
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unobtanium-inc View Post
Amongst those in the business there was much eye rolling when BAT launched their auctions. Like I said, no one is laughing now, but saying someone can't do it better, cheaper, or make it in this market is naive.
Also, BAT has worked really well for enthusiasts selling cars to other enthusiasts, those cars go for big money, but many a dealer has crashed and burned trying BAT, it's not always the most welcoming environment for them. So if this new site caters better to Porsche sellers of the pro persuasion they might have an angle there.

---Adam
Not saying you're wrong but I am "in the business" and I didn't recall anyone laughing. In fact a lot of the opposite. I have sold quite a few cars on BAT. The ones which are photographed static as they would be for a generic autotrader or other site do okay. The ones where I pay someone to take real shots with good composition, background, filtering etc etc typically do better. Some I have sold out of my personal collection, some I have sold as a dealer.
__________________
Current:88 Guards Red Coupe, 89 Coupe Track Rat, 76 Caddy Eldo Convert. 2015 Aprilia Tuono
Wrecked 1987 Targa Guards Red, 2003 Ducati ST4S
Sold 1987 Granite Green Targa, 993's, 93 RSA, other 964 coupes, 89 911 Turbo Ruf mods, 90 e30 M3, 07 BMW R1200S STOLEN 94 Speedster
Old 02-22-2019, 04:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)
Reply

Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

 


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 09:00 AM.


 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page
 

DTO Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.