Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Classified Ads > Porsche Marketplace Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 3.63 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

I would love to get any of my old 240z's back. Had a great 1972 and a 1971 race car that I built.

The 240/260/280's are real hot right now and fun to work on.
Old 04-13-2019, 11:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #201 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shock96 View Post
I would love to get any of my old 240z's back. Had a great 1972 and a 1971 race car that I built.

The 240/260/280's are real hot right now and fun to work on.
They sure are. I can’t believe what they’re selling for now. Like our cars they were under appreciated for years. Not any more.
Old 04-14-2019, 09:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #202 (permalink)

Garage
This may be a good mark for what a first model year 240Z will bring in very very good condition. It's an older restoration by a respected Z wrencher who had serious OCD about the work he did and preserving as much of the originality as he could.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1970-datsun-240z-36/

Whatever "it" is, if it doesn't start, it can't end.
Heavily medicated for your protection.
Old 04-14-2019, 09:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #203 (permalink)

Yah, I’ve been watching that as well.
Old 04-14-2019, 09:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #204 (permalink)

There is a guy in Florida with a huge Z collection, he owns a ton of low vin 240zs and a full 8 out of the 37 "project Z" cars. I have conversed with him a few times over the last few years about getting on his "list" when he decides to sell. He is simply a collector for now, not selling much. https://www.classiczcars.com/forums/topic/33967-my-trip-to-z-mecca/
Old 04-14-2019, 02:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #205 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernard Plett View Post
I forgot to say too, you may have answered my question partially about why there aren't any R33 GT-R on the road here in Japan visible to the eye. More R32/34, though rare. Maybe lots went to Canada when they turned 15. Also, I do remember, they were a high dollar car here in the day, so production #s were much lower compared to R32 which were very popular during the Japanese bubble economy, when people here were juggling billions of yen. Then you gotta figure in how many were crashed, stolen and chopped, or simply exported to countries other than Canada?

Good question...
Australia is also 15 year rule and there are plenty of Skylines there. GTR are quite expensive to operate in the long term. I rarely see them on the road to be honest. There a few R32 GTR around in my small city but they are weekend cars.

Vernon has a great ski hill called Silver Star. I live in BC and used to go at spring break with family.

The seller of that Integra Type R is a flipper and the story is apparently false. It has been spread all over the internet. For 2001 Canada only got front and rear seats and only sold just 185. These seats are quite rare and I'm glad my car still has them and that they are in good condition. You can't buy the fabric or a replacement seat. They don't hold as well as the JDM Recaro sadly.
Old 04-18-2019, 08:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #206 (permalink)

Garage
I have an 86 Civic Si, the UrSi so to speak as it was the first one. Rust free, 180k, burns nothing, drips nothing. Can beat the living **** out of it and it doesn't care. It's so much more forgiving than the 911, and you can get near the limits without worrying it will kill you or cost $5-20k to fix. I love the car, thinking about selling it on BaT this spring... but man. I wonder if I hold onto it a bit longer, how much more it would be worth.
Old 04-18-2019, 11:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #207 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by touringteg View Post
Australia is also 15 year rule and there are plenty of Skylines there. GTR are quite expensive to operate in the long term. I rarely see them on the road to be honest. There a few R32 GTR around in my small city but they are weekend cars.

Vernon has a great ski hill called Silver Star. I live in BC and used to go at spring break with family.

The seller of that Integra Type R is a flipper and the story is apparently false. It has been spread all over the internet. For 2001 Canada only got front and rear seats and only sold just 185. These seats are quite rare and I'm glad my car still has them and that they are in good condition. You can't buy the fabric or a replacement seat. They don't hold as well as the JDM Recaro sadly.
Yeah, Vernon I remember the only time I was there in 1999? Stopped through to see my cousins (loggers), but no one was in town. So my girlfriend (wife now) and I camped on the shore of a small lake on the edge of town. Next day we headed up toward Saskatchuen to see my grandmother before she died at about age 91. On the way we hit a little road rage.

Just before last exit off the highway, going up into the Canadian Rockies I’m in the fast lane with cars in front of me. Couldn’t go any faster, but some young guy in a new blue Mustang kept flashing the high beams into my rear view from behind. Mind you I was driving an old boat my father forced me to buy a year earlier. I had totaled his car on the way to Vegas a few years before because of jet lag and so on. The boat was an old Cordoba with the Corinthian leather. Remember Treasure Island commercials? So this young punk, after seeing the NV plates, then passing us sees a Japanese National in the passenger’s seat, gave us the finger and said F-CK YOU!! I said OOOOOOOOOOOOOh to my girlfriend, give me an egg out of the cooler box! She said no, no no. I say OK, so I finally passed this punk and thereafter nearly forced him into the ditch. Later he tried to pass me and finally did due to the dog 302 motor I had. This time he threw a ball point pen at my girl and nearly hit her. We had the windows down and music jamming the whole trip. I repeated my former command – GIVE ME AN EGG! I got it immediately.

Since the punk had to get off on the last exit, with traffic he couldn’t run. I told my girl to lean back, and I leaned forward with the Armani glasses on. The punk was still talking sh-t but when we got to the right point I chucked that egg and spattered it onto his neck. By then we were veering off in different directions with no recourse. I’ve told this road rage story a few times to people here, and I always say – that’ll teach those Canadians to mess with us!?!! Mind you, I wouldn’t do road rage in the USA i.e. too many guns. I had a gun pulled on me in a 240z in Dallas in 1982 in college in Oak Cliff, South Dallas. That car I bought damaged, front hit hard, repaired it and drove it to Texas second year college. If I can pull up a pix I’ll post it. 1970 240z. Funny that as I was trying to sell it then, it got peppered with golf ball sized hail stones. I did sell it, but for 500 less. 2500.00 then instead of 3000 what I was asking, and I had a buyer at 3000 before the hail storm.

bernie
Old 04-19-2019, 08:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #208 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADDvanced View Post
I have an 86 Civic Si, the UrSi so to speak as it was the first one. Rust free, 180k, burns nothing, drips nothing. Can beat the living **** out of it and it doesn't care. It's so much more forgiving than the 911, and you can get near the limits without worrying it will kill you or cost $5-20k to fix. I love the car, thinking about selling it on BaT this spring... but man. I wonder if I hold onto it a bit longer, how much more it would be worth.
I was talking to a few twenty-somethings at the NYS inspection shop today. They drive old Hondas etc because they're cheap to buy, cheap to fix, parts are easy to get and inexpensive, easy to mod and they're dependable. No mystery here.

In fact, that sounds exactly like the logic we used in the 60's for American Muscle.
(I don't list the cars I've sold, because they're gone)
Old 04-19-2019, 08:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #209 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYNick View Post
I was talking to a few twenty-somethings at the NYS inspection shop today. They drive old Hondas etc because they're cheap to buy, cheap to fix, parts are easy to get and inexpensive, easy to mod and they're dependable. No mystery here.

In fact, that sounds exactly like the logic we used in the 60's for American Muscle.
That was definitely the logic of modding Hondas 15-20 years ago but nowadays Hondas from the ‘golden years’ 80s-90s are too outdated performance-wise compared to the WRXs/Focus STs/Mustangs of today. That said, I have a 90 Prelude Si that is 100% stock/original paint. Bought it off BaT a couple years ago. It’s a lot of fun to drive and Hondas were such great cars during this era. Well-built and made with good quality materials. I’d never consider it a performance car though. My 944 feels so much faster than the Prelude even though it only has a 10 hp advantage.
Old 04-19-2019, 09:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #210 (permalink)

Garage
10 horse is 10 hp! Someone I know said at a funeral, always be thankful for what you have,! He meant, if you have food, a job or shelter, even a family or friends, you gotta be thankful for that. Even 10 hp, is something to be grateful for. Think of all the people in the world who don't even have these things. Rejoice on your 10 horse advantage! It could be worse!
Old 04-19-2019, 09:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #211 (permalink)

Garage
Which Barbie Doll has the most potential appreciation? Or do you guys like to play with Ken?
I thought this was a PORSCHE related forum, but I could be wrong. Penthouse used to have a discussion FORUM, but I haven't read one recently. This thread is nearly as bad as the 100 post "digression" on the value of a 911SC CIS injection system.
Old 04-19-2019, 11:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #212 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by touringmandan View Post
Which Barbie Doll has the most potential appreciation? Or do you guys like to play with Ken?
I thought this was a PORSCHE related forum, but I could be wrong. Penthouse used to have a discussion FORUM, but I haven't read one recently. This thread is nearly as bad as the 100 post "digression" on the value of a 911SC CIS injection system.
At least this thread is titled correctly, so its easy to stay out of if you aren't interested in the discussion...
Old 04-19-2019, 11:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #213 (permalink)
gearhead

The true irony is that the troll who started it hasn’t posted since the first few pages of it.

Japanese Classics just listed an Evo1.
2008 Cayman S Mule
Old 04-19-2019, 11:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #214 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
I posted pics and history on a 73 RS on this thread, car number 101. Did you miss it? You have to wade through the thread if you did. We be talkin about Porsches and Japanese vintage values or performance. We be comparing apples to oranges, with some tastes for apples, some for oranges or both. Don't really matter who started the thread. Don't kill it yet, unless you can't stand not reading it. One never knows where it might go. There seems to be a few people who are talkin about Porsches vs Japanese classic cars. That in itself justifies the thread in this forum on marketplace IMO.
Old 04-20-2019, 03:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #215 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thamlin000 View Post
That was definitely the logic of modding Hondas 15-20 years ago but nowadays Hondas from the ‘golden years’ 80s-90s are too outdated performance-wise compared to the WRXs/Focus STs/Mustangs of today. That said, I have a 90 Prelude Si that is 100% stock/original paint. Bought it off BaT a couple years ago. It’s a lot of fun to drive and Hondas were such great cars during this era. Well-built and made with good quality materials. I’d never consider it a performance car though. My 944 feels so much faster than the Prelude even though it only has a 10 hp advantage.
I owned an 89 Prelude for many years, one of my favorite cars. I agree with your point above, it was such a well made car with nice materials, fit and finish. At the time it was the top of the range Honda. While not a power house, it was a great handling car, I’d love to another.
Old 04-20-2019, 03:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #216 (permalink)

Quote:
+1, and Amen Brother. I posted a 911 color question on the 356 Registry, because many 356 owners have 911’s. The administrator of the thread removed it for not being 356 related. Atleast it was a PORSCHE!!!
Old 04-20-2019, 04:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #217 (permalink)
War Vet

Garage
Amen....check the first few posts on my comment...

Quote:
Old 04-20-2019, 05:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #218 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by thamlin000 View Post
I was walking past an old Civic just yesterday
I wondered why these cars never became racer nerd cars.

2004 Civic, for example, is 2400 lbs.
And it's dirt cheap.

I am sure there are tons of engine and suspension mods

I would love to be the guy at the track in his $2000 Civic (or $5k Mustang)
making guys in their $100,000 cars start muttering things about "floaty appliances with no soul"

Last edited by sugarwood; 04-20-2019 at 05:39 AM..
Old 04-20-2019, 05:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #219 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertmark View Post
+1, and Amen Brother. I posted a 911 color question on the 356 Registry, because many 356 owners have 911’s. The administrator of the thread removed it for not being 356 related. Atleast it was a PORSCHE!!!
Last I heard, this wasn't Early S registry forum, nor was it 356 registry . THIS forum last I heard was Pelican Marketplace Discussion Forum. If you want it to be so strict like these two examples, which are more like the Pelican 911 technical forum. then AMEN. Nevertheless, you must be dreaming. This is not reality. When I'm on the Technical forum, I change gears. Perhaps you too need to shift??
Old 04-20-2019, 06:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #220 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: