Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Classified Ads > Porsche Marketplace Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

'87 Carrera purchase advice-- undercarriage damage and rust

Reposting- I didn't attach images correctly...

Hey everyone, first time poster.

I am evaluating my first air cooled Porsche, and am trying to determine if rust and damage on the undercarriage should make me walk away.

It is a California car that has spent time in Utah (potential salt) with 73K miles. Windows out paint job, new leather seats and dash, drives very well. Seller is asking $48K. Below are pics of the undercarriage showing a lot of rust and some damage to the 'crash bar' up front, including the driver's side tow point. The bottom of the fuel tank is also scraped up with quite a bit of surface rust. How worried should I be about this? I am having a PPI done tomorrow, and will have special attention paid to these area and the rockers, but the rule of thumb I have been told is that rust is a huge red flag for '80s P-cars.

Thanks for your take and any other advice would be greatly appreciated too!
Old 03-03-2019, 03:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Just looks like the car bottom out..
How low is it.
To me it looks pretty miner, but hard to tell from your pics..

Edit..even your other post with better pics..the tank looks like the coating is just starting to peel(30 year old car). Don't think I'd be overly concerned with it, should be an easy enough fix.

Last edited by freeform911; 03-03-2019 at 03:42 PM..
Old 03-03-2019, 03:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I think you're fine. And the PPI will take a deeper dive anyways to vet the possible "rust" issues. $48K is a decent deal for a 75K mile car, but a repaint and new seats does hurts the originality of the car.
Old 03-03-2019, 04:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

That car hit one too many speed bumps - typical.

Typical for the gas tank as well. These cars can sometimes be very low. I would not be overly concerned about these areas as they would probably even rust in Arizona from scraping on these points.

If I were selling this car, and this was the only rust on it (surface rust on non-structural parts) I would not give a discount. It's typical road wear.
Old 03-03-2019, 04:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Sent a PM as I have had a PPI done on the car......great to speak via phone..good luck
Old 03-03-2019, 05:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Thank you all for your time and sharing the wisdom!
Old 03-04-2019, 04:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: