Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Classified Ads > Porsche Marketplace Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Trying to buy my 1st Porsche

Wont bore you with my entire long story and my love for cars, Porsches and just about anything with motors. I've been looking for a while (year plus) for a 911sc to be my first Porsche.

I'm curious to hear from all of you here with much more experience than me, your thoughts around this being my first Porsche, ability to maintain it, work on it etc.

I've located on I may pull the trigger on. Early 80's with 80k miles on it. Not sure of the best price for it. Its in great shape, but I'll figure that out later.

Let me hear your thoughts. Thanks in advance.
Old 03-07-2019, 01:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Hello - is there a link or photos of the car that you can provide? Our members will be able to assess the car better with more details - history, any mods, your mechanical skill level, etc...
Old 03-07-2019, 01:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

1980 911SC at Top Gear Porsche in NJ

My mechanical skills would be "moderately advanced" if I had to describe it. I've worked on bikes, boats, several Toyotas, etc to a good extent. Never a German car in my life.

http://showroom.auction123.com/topgear_imports_llc/inventory/11263/1980/Porsche/911/91A0141332.html?leadsource=Showroom|topgear_import s_llc
Old 03-07-2019, 01:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

An air cooled 911 is one of the easiest cars I've ever worked on. Plus, nearly every possible project is well documented here on Pelican. These cars were well overbuilt, they don't build 'em like it anymore.
Old 03-07-2019, 01:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcourts1984 View Post
1980 911SC at Top Gear Porsche in NJ

My mechanical skills would be "moderately advanced" if I had to describe it. I've worked on bikes, boats, several Toyotas, etc to a good extent. Never a German car in my life.

http://showroom.auction123.com/topgear_imports_llc/inventory/11263/1980/Porsche/911/91A0141332.html?leadsource=Showroom|topgear_import s_llc
Have you swung by and seen the car in person? Based on some Google and other reviews, the place seems very questionable.
Old 03-07-2019, 01:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driven97 View Post
These cars were well overbuilt, they don't build 'em like it anymore.
True - but many original parts actually wear out quite quickly. Sometimes it's better to upgrade a high-wear oem part with a better one.
Old 03-07-2019, 02:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

That drivers seat look like it has a lot more than 80K miles.

Speedos are easy to switch out on these cars and it is sitting a bit crooked? If your serious about the car I would puul it to see what the date code is on it regardless of what they tell you.
Old 03-07-2019, 03:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcourts1984 View Post
Wont bore you with my entire long story and my love for cars, Porsches and just about anything with motors. I've been looking for a while (year plus) for a 911sc to be my first Porsche.

I'm curious to hear from all of you here with much more experience than me, your thoughts around this being my first Porsche, ability to maintain it, work on it etc.

You're a car guy.
You sound like you want to DIY.
This is a great forum resource
Go for it.

Let's hear your story!
Old 03-07-2019, 03:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Mighty Meatlocker Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driven97 View Post
An air cooled 911 is one of the easiest cars I've ever worked on. Plus, nearly every possible project is well documented here on Pelican. These cars were well overbuilt, they don't build 'em like it anymore.
I agree that they are relatively easy machines to work on, but they also have serious design and build flaws that need to be addressed sooner or later (am talking about things like the garbage dilivar head studs used for decades and electrical worst practices), are extremely old, and are remarkably expensive to repair when something significant goes wrong.

Last edited by Rawknees'Turbo; 03-07-2019 at 05:28 PM..
Old 03-07-2019, 05:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Former Options Trader !!!

The reputation of that dealer is questionable at best.

Someone can correct me if I am wrong but I believe that car would have come with an 85 mph speedo, so its a swap.

Car looks pretty tidy but nothing beats seeing it yourself. Pictures hide tons of stuff. Odd that so many bolts are rusted but not the associated parts.
Old 03-07-2019, 05:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Turbo Powered Snow Blower

Garage
My car had 81k when I got it and the seat looked like that. Leather is good but had an overweight owner. The foam is shot and may have a broken frame. Mine did. New foam and frame repair is easy. Local shop removed the leather, I welded the frame, they reassembled with new foam and original leather. $250.00 fix

The speedo switch was in 80. Maybe a late 79 car?? The fact the original AC compressor is still there makes me think it could be an all original car.

Plan on putting $20k into it. The suspension, brakes, fuel lines, gaskets, etc. are all done. The car is 39 year old.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-07-2019, 08:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Donít get attached to one car. There are lots of them out there. I found both my p-cars after deals fell through and thought Iíd never find the one I wanted.
Old 03-08-2019, 02:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Bought my 1st P car ('88 Carrera sunroof coupe) month ago. Was open to model/ year w budget limit. I'm not a mechanic by trade but mechanically inclined. Was looking for good runner w minor problems I can fix myself. Ended up finding the car thru networking.

Good luck!
Old 03-08-2019, 04:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Looks like a decent car. Someone put on the front spoiler or took off a tail. The price is not bad if the miles are right and it the history is good. Not much to go on in the description. PPI is needed. My advice is to look at and drive several as you can then weed out the dogs. When you look at a good one you will know it. There are many on the market now and travel to look at it if its not local. I looked at and drove many 930s across the US before I decided on the one I have.
79 930 #632
88 911 Cab
74 TR6
88 CRX Si

Last edited by cellison; 03-08-2019 at 06:13 AM..
Old 03-08-2019, 06:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
War584

Garage
Agree - cars seems decent with some issues that would suggest it may have more miles than shown. Being from CA, I get a little nervous when I see rusty bolts (AC & undercarriage) - make sure there is no rust in the usual spots around the windows, front fenders, etc. Also, roof looks wavy in front. Test drive it to make sure it doesn't leak or howl (too much).
Old 03-08-2019, 11:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Garage
I recommend joining PCA and looking at their classifieds - then get a PPI - that's how I bought my 911SC. If you can (on an SC) try to get:
- head studs that have been replaced
- improved chain tensioners (oil fed)
- pop off valve in airbox
- turbo lower valve covers

I am by no means a mechanic - but even I managed a valve adjustment.

Good luck
Old 03-08-2019, 03:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Believe original speedo would be a 85 mph.....like many this one was likely swapped out.....was a typical item done in the 1980's on these cars....
Old 03-08-2019, 03:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Do what your doing ,ask lots of questions. Try to go for lots of comparison rides/drives.
Old 03-10-2019, 10:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

If you can wait a bit I believe that getting a car from a private party might be your best route... Especially from an owner who's had the car 3 years plus. You'll hear more of the history and get first-hand information. I've found that many of the best cars trade owner to owner and never see a dealer.
Old 03-10-2019, 11:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: