Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Classified Ads > Porsche Marketplace Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

'74 911 value

ok guys, my turn.

had an opportunity to buy a large building (and a rock n roll club!) in my downtown i've had my eye on for a really long time. so, no free time in the shop in the foreseeable future, and any available capital is earmarked for that project.

i have my green 911 to drive daily and a really nice 914-6 "GT" with a 3.6 that needs an engine reseal and and some cooling, brake, and clutch work to be "right". with the new venture, i have zero time to do any of the work myself but want to get on with enjoying that car right now.

further, i don't see having the time/headspace to dive headlong into a full blown build on a '74 911 i bought a couple of years back to build a hot rod out of. i've gotten as far as stripping the interior and acquiring parts for the build, but i'm inclined to move this one on and focus on my 2 other cars. reckon i'll cash out on this '74 and make the 914 right.

need to simplify.

curious what the peanut gallery thinks the value is here. the car is complete with a '77 2.7 that isn't running but turns. has ssi's, hydraulic tensioners, turbo valve covers, etc. so it's been worked on at some point. needs a partial front pan (battery acid) and the rear seat metal needs replacement (leaky rear window). i have the metal for both already in hand. SC flares were crudely lap welded on at some point, so i have a pair of complete carrera quarters to replace those. i have found no other rust on the car. it will need an interior. originally a silver car.

excellent base for a hot rod, especially here in CA.

i have gotten as far as removing the rear window, stripping the interior and sanding down the welds on the fenders. otherwise, the car sits as i bought it. again, it's a complete car.

i would most likely sell the car as it sits now with a FG rear deck lid and the repro fuchs it came with. parts i have available that were intended for the car are refinished 7&8 x 15 fuchs, a FG hood, FG front bumper blade, duck, and rear bumper (getty) and some really light aluminum brackets i had fabbed up to replace the bumper shocks. i have a new pair of the narrow (euro) bumperttes that came on the '74. everything to build a stock looking car with bellows and bumperettes, but made with FG and aluminum for big weight savings. i also have a mint '74 tool bag.

i figure i could get the best return selling the car and parts separately unless someone shares the same vision i have for the car.

so, assuming the replacement metal is included, what's the car worth as is, no parts?

what's it worth with the parts?...

as it looked when i brought it back to the shop...

Old 03-10-2019, 01:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Iím interested
Old 03-10-2019, 01:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I paid $12,000 for a rust and damage free, totally complete 77 911 S about six months ago.
Motor turns over but doesn’t run. It’s been repainted poorly and the interior is ratty. I feel like it was a fair deal for both parties.
Considering the repair needed on yours I’d value it at $8-9,000 Although 74s have been hot so I could be low. Looks like perfect candidate for a lil hot rod.
Old 03-10-2019, 04:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkabush View Post
Considering the repair needed on yours I’d value it at $8-9,000 Although 74s have been hot so I could be low. Looks like perfect candidate for a lil hot rod.
Yeah, that's hilarious. $8-$9K. This isn't 2011. Sorry, but this is horrible advice.

'74s have come into their own the past years - and are very desirable.

Expect to pay $25K +++ (sometimes a bigger plus) for a car in this condition.
Old 03-10-2019, 05:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
gearhead

$25-30k is what I would guess it will sell for.
Old 03-10-2019, 06:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

...and never, ever forget that the '74 911 is the rookie card for the most successful, longest-running, and best 911 they ever made - the G body.
Old 03-10-2019, 06:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

War Vet

Garage
I gotta dial yaíll back to $15-18k....

MTtR
Old 03-10-2019, 06:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt930s View Post
I gotta dial yaíll back to $15-18k....

MTtR
$15K? Now that's hilarious again. The motor alone in core is worth $4-5K. Look at the floor. It's very nice. Typical rust issues, sure. $15K? Yeah no.
Old 03-10-2019, 06:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
War Vet

Garage
Brother Sal...that front end is scary...just makes me weary of other rust....btw, I stated $15-18k....

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalParadise View Post
$15K? Now that's hilarious again. The motor alone in core is worth $4-5K. Look at the floor. It's very nice. Typical rust issues, sure. $15K? Yeah no.
Old 03-10-2019, 06:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

the front isn't rust, it's been eaten by battery acid. pretty common ailment unfortunately. i haven't found any rust other than the rear seats. likewise, i've found no indication of any accidents either.

i bought this car because it's a very solid starting point for a hot rod, good bones. i love the '74 for the reason sal mentions. i also like the one year only euro style rear bumper, which is why i intended to keep that element.

quite frankly, i'm torn. i really want to build this car. but it's likely to sit for another couple of years before i have the time and focus to take it on. the opportunity cost for me right now is quite high. there is a lot i can do with head space i'll gain and the money it'll free up.

as the market for the '74's has come around nicely, i can't help but wonder if it's a good time to move on. i fear i may regret it, but it's just a car and i have others.

i can also get my 914-6 in top shape and put an electro cooler in my 911. that would be nice...
Old 03-10-2019, 07:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Mighty Meatlocker Turbo

As much as I love tail , I must say that the previous owner who put that giant, IROC style tail on yer beyond-anorexic 911 had major problems with vision (both literally and figuratively)!
Old 03-10-2019, 07:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
San Ramon, CA

For the out of state commenters, it's worth more in the California hothouse since it is smog exempt. OP didn't say if it was an S, worth a few more bucks. Perfect 3.6 candidate for us locals.

Last edited by eastbay; 03-10-2019 at 07:37 PM..
Old 03-10-2019, 07:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawknees'Turbo View Post
As much as I love tail , I must say that the previous owner who put that giant, IROC style tail on yer beyond-anorexic 911 had major problems with vision (both literally and figuratively)!
right?! supafast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastbay View Post
For the out of state commenters, it's worth more in the California hothouse since it is smog exempt. OP didn't say if it was an S, worth a few more bucks. Perfect 3.6 candidate for us locals.
it's a regular 911, not an S...
Old 03-10-2019, 07:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Wow what’s a great condition running and driving matching ‘74 going for if this is $25k? $100k? As many always say it’s worth what someone will pay. Dwelle what’s the highest you’ve been offered? Is this the one you’ve been selling for awhile or was that a ‘75?
Old 03-10-2019, 07:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Mighty Meatlocker Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwelle View Post
ok guys, my turn. . . .
Whoops, I almost forgot ---->

???

!!!

Such kink!!! Such smut!!!
Old 03-10-2019, 08:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalParadise View Post
Yeah, that's hilarious. $8-$9K. This isn't 2011. Sorry, but this is horrible advice.

'74s have come into their own the past years - and are very desirable.

Expect to pay $25K +++ (sometimes a bigger plus) for a car in this condition.
Horrible advice? Put your money where your mouth is then. Plop down 25 large for a car that needs three times that to make it right and report back. Like I said, perhaps itís a bit more due to the fact that itís a 74 but at the end of the day you have a massive project that needs substantial body work, allot of interior work, a complete paint job, correct wheels, and oh yah, the engine doesnít match. So, whatís it worth when youíre done ? So, whoís giving horrible advice ? $25,000 ? I think not.
Old 03-10-2019, 08:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanbs View Post
Wow what’s a great condition running and driving matching ‘74 going for if this is $25k? $100k? As many always say it’s worth what someone will pay. Dwelle what’s the highest you’ve been offered? Is this the one you’ve been selling for awhile or was that a ‘75?
i did have it on the market awhile back as i found a '73 RSR project i wanted to do. the guy who sold me that car ended up with buyers remorse, and we worked out a deal for him to buy it back.

i held on to this car as i planned to build it when i finished my green 911. the green car is done, but now i don't have the time and i'm not inclined to start writing a bunch of checks to get it done. the market for the '74's has changed a fair bit since then which is why i wanted to check in with brain trust here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkabush View Post
Horrible advice? Put your money where your mouth is then. Plop down 25 large for a car that needs three times that to make it right and report back. Like I said, perhaps it’s a bit more due to the fact that it’s a 74 but at the end of the day you have a massive project that needs substantial body work, allot of interior work, a complete paint job, correct wheels, and oh yah, the engine doesn’t match. So, what’s it worth when you’re done ? So, who’s giving horrible advice ? $25,000 ? I think not.
at $8-9K, i could have this car gone tomorrow...
Old 03-10-2019, 09:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Turbo Powered Snow Blower

Garage
B.A.T. Have some fun with it.
Youíll get at least $20 and maybe a couple dreamers that donít know how much it costs to build these cars. If that happens $30k potentially.

Iím putting $22-24k gets it done. Stay under the $25k mark for the non-auction project crowd.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-10-2019, 10:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

i think there exists a certain amount of bias here where your asking 911 owners to valuate a 911
- of course if u own a shop u can bring this in turn it out with a nice thick shiny paint job in few weeks then yea its worth more to that flipper but jeez hate to say this but for your average gearhead to bring that back ?......
well thats probably a better question you tell me how much it would cost to get that bad boy back up to standard now THAT is an interesting question
engine 20k ?
wheels tires brakes suspention 10k ?
bodywork 5k ?
paint 5k?
interior 5k?
when finished 50k ?
take notice of the question marks please
Old 03-10-2019, 11:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
Mighty Meatlocker Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxdp View Post
i think there exists a certain amount of bias here where your asking 911 owners to valuate a 911
. . .
The guys in this thread that responded with actual numbers have been following the 911 market for a long time (some of them for decades - the geriatric bastages!).

Old 03-10-2019, 11:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: