Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Classified Ads > Porsche Marketplace Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Send a message via AIM to sempaipaul
Looking for pricing advice on a restored/painted 79' SC Targa shell

Hi all,

I am unfortunately considering doing something I never planned on and that is parting ways with my 7-year long ongoing 911 project... I need some help from the excellent community that we have on this forum.

I purchased the car in 2012. Over the next several years I drove it the way it was and then I started the long journey of disassembling each and every component, tagging all the parts, zip-lock bagging them, etc. The car is originally grandprix white and came with the certificate of authenticity; however --- it did have several coats of paint on it.

After disassembling everything I found a painter who (while working with me) spent an immense amount of time media blasting the car (i remember it wasn't sand as that was too abrasive --- however, don't remember exactly what it was that was used), prepping it for paint, and finally painting it. The paint was done in 2017. After it sat in the paint shop for several months allowing for paint to fully dry, etc. I wrapped it up, brought it back to my garage where it has been sitting quietly tucked away on a few furniture dollies.

Unfortunately with changing priorities, family situation, and a change in focus I am now considering parting with the body/shell/chassis as well as all other components of the car. My main goal is to get rid of the chassis. All else I will focus on parting out later.

The car is originally a California car. It spent a massive portion of its life there. Below are some pictures of it prior to the disassembly. Note, pictures make the "original" paint look pretty good; however it was chipping all over the place and that was really caused by the multiple coats of paint that it had on it. The great thing is it had absolutely zero rust. With that said --- there is absolutely ZERO bondo under the fresh paint! A few dents did get pulled via welded on studs. Outside of that this car was a perfect candidate for repaint.

Everything was done the right way. Right now the car sits masked off for undercoating. It's fully ready for re-assembly after that. I was planning on doing the undercoating this coming spring and then finally re-assembling it this summer.

Plans have changed.

I am looking for input on what you guys believe the body/chassis is worth (with all the doors, bumpers, etc. etc.

Look forward to a fruitful discussion!

Best,
Paul
Old 03-10-2019, 06:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

BEFORE:

Old 03-10-2019, 06:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

DURING

AFTER

Old 03-10-2019, 06:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

THE WAY IT HAS SAT IN MY GARAGE FOR PAST 2 YEARS

Old 03-10-2019, 06:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Looks like quality work, Paul. Sorry your circumstances have changed.

Are you selling just the shell? Are the engine and trans to be sold differently?

https://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911-technical-forum/1022378-yes-its-another-white-911-build.html
Old 03-10-2019, 08:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by madcorgi View Post
Looks like quality work, Paul. Sorry your circumstances have changed.

Are you selling just the shell? Are the engine and trans to be sold differently?
I will be selling everything. I have a fully built/rebuilt engine with 0 miles on it as well as a fully rebuilt transmission as well.

Hoping to sell the shell first. From there all the other parts will go on sale as well

Regards,
Paul
Old 03-11-2019, 02:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

You don't say if this is a numbers matching car, unless I missed it. If so I think you would do better selling the car as a whole or at least the engine, transmission and chassis together.
Old 03-11-2019, 03:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Why not just sell it as a basket case with all of the parts??

914-6 2.4s GT tribute.
914-6werkshop.com manufacturer of 914-6, GT, Conversion parts
Old 03-11-2019, 05:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
gearhead

Dang, wish it was in Colorado. I’d be interested if it was local. Don’t have much input on price. It’s a tough one.
2008 Cayman S Mule
Old 03-11-2019, 06:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
USAF VET

Garage
Agree....

Gorgeous car!

Worth way more if its numbers matching and put together...at least kept together...

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcoastline View Post
You don't say if this is a numbers matching car, unless I missed it. If so I think you would do better selling the car as a whole or at least the engine, transmission and chassis together.
Old 03-11-2019, 11:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Man, for the right person this could be the ticket and could be a tremendous value.

I wouldn't sell it in this state, but then again time is very important.

I'd try to get $15K out of that shell with no parts. Getting strong money is going to be hard on a SC Targa. If it were a longhood Targa, I would probably add $10-$15K. But alas it's a SC - but a darn good one.
Old 03-11-2019, 11:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: