Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Classified Ads > Porsche Marketplace Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Will Future Generations Want These Cars?

Will The Next Generation Want These Cars?

Among my daughter’s many (and diverse) collection of friends only one has shown an interest in my Porsche. Out of her 50/50 male/female gang, he’s the ‘car-guy,’ although he doesn’t wrench.

In particular, what’s going to happen to all these long-hoods that have been so lovingly restored? Will the all wind up in public/private museums?

I’ve read that the demand for anything collectible is generational. Hence, post war ‘baby boomers’ aspire to own Sandy Koufax baseball cards and Porsche 911s. While inflation may prevent the value of a collectible from declining, what happens to the passion and interest in the collectible?

To guys my/our age Porsche 911s represent something aspirational within the context of our lives. When that generation (and future generations) pass, does the interest in our cars become, merely, the vehicles’ rarity? In future generations will the passion for the car become simply a passion to fill a slot in a collector’s collection?

It fascinates me that at this very juncture in time, a relatively small number of us are seeking out every last Porsche on the planet and pouring out an enormous amount of time, money, and skill to restore them. Like a hive of worker bees, we are scavenging every Porsche part, every shell, every crumb, to re-assemble a fleet of autos that will exist as a time capsule of our generation.

I suspect that that level of commitment could only be summoned by the generation for whom a Porsche 911 means more than ‘just another stamp’ to add to a collection. I suppose there are always car enthusiasts who will restore ‘one of those,’ or ‘one of these’ – but has any other car (any other anything) been so coveted, sought after, restored, and preserved as the Porsche 911?

Art collecting is the only comparison I can think of. Where a cadre of enthusiasts searches, the world over. for every last Rembrandt sketch.

And lastly, I wonder about the engineers, mechanics, accountants, office staff, race drivers, electricians, painters, tire changers, executives, etc. who took part in building these cars originally. When they look at what we’re up to, from their heavenly reward, what are they thinking? What would be their ‘take.’ That is, when they meet for a divine latte, what (if anything) are they saying about all this?

Thoughts?

Robert
Old 03-11-2019, 06:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
gearhead

Ibsugarshytes
2008 Cayman S Mule
Old 03-11-2019, 06:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Have you been to the Luftgekuhlt? Future is looking bright for aircooled pcars if you ask me.
Old 03-11-2019, 07:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Turbo Powered Snow Blower

Garage
What Matt Said.
Old 03-11-2019, 07:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

I take my A Speedster to a Porsche show to benefit Alzheimer’s every year. They have kids groups that come around and grade our cars and ask us questions. They love sitting in the car and blowing the horn, along with touching the big steering wheel. I also have a lot of 20 something’s telling me they’re studying and working their butts off to have a car like mine one day. I think there’s plenty of hope for future generations.
Old 03-11-2019, 08:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

The real question is, will the next generation be able to drive these cars. Adverse legislation and more worryingly loss of infrastructure could make whether they will want the cars or not a moot point.
Old 03-11-2019, 08:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Brooklyn View Post
The real question is, will the next generation be able to drive these cars. Adverse legislation and more worryingly loss of infrastructure could make whether they will want the cars or not a moot point.
Yes, what you propose is the biggest threat to these fine cars going forward. I can see the day coming the far lefties will take these cars off the road. I’m surprised Leno is still allowed to take his ozone killing cars on the road in California.
Old 03-11-2019, 08:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Right on to this one.
Old 03-11-2019, 08:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
No offense, but not again with this topic. It's been discussed so many times it's got a name.

Sugarshyte
(I don't list the cars I've sold, because they're gone)
Old 03-11-2019, 08:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Turbo Powered Snow Blower

Garage
Quote:
The real question is, will the next generation be able to drive these cars.
Haha! The current generation has issues. When we take the Turbo on date nights I use Valet parking. First question is can anyone drive a stick? Second is telling the guy its a 4 speed and how to get it into reverse.
50% of the time the car stays up front in the drop off/pick up area.
Old 03-11-2019, 08:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
If someone finds my unmarked grave, digs up my car and removes my decaying body, they can have it.
Old 03-11-2019, 08:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

I suggest that Luftgekuhlt is a good example of the kind of transition I’m asking about. Pre-Luftgekuhlt representing a time when Porsches were generally regarded as ‘cars to be used’ and post-Luftgekuhlt a time when Porsches are ‘cars to be’… Celebrated? Admired? Collected? Invested in? What?

My interest is in what Porsche (and possibly other cars) represent culturally, to varying generations. On this forum, I often read something like, ‘Hey, it’s just a car. Drive it. Modify it. Cut it up. Make it what you what you want.’ That, I suspect, was the Porsche factory’s attitude and intention when they built the cars.

Ten years ago, the attitude on this forum remained similar. ‘They’re just cars. Buy another one. Buy two. Cut one up and mod it to what you want and keep the other stock.’

That attitude is still here, but the attitude itself has been modified. ‘It’s still just a car. Cut it up if you can afford to. If the money doesn’t matter… Or, ‘If it’s matching numbers I wouldn’t touch it.’ Or, ‘$20,000 for a tub? That guy’s insane!’ Etc.

Our attitude toward our cars has changed, even here, among enthusiasts. And I don’t think that it’s just financial. But even if it is, that’s still a change that alters our relationship to the cars and how we perceive; and use them.

So, I’m not asking about the future popularity of the air-cool cars we are so fervently preserving. For all I know they may be more popular in 2075 than they were in 1975. My curiosity is for WHY they may be popular. What, in the context of a different age, might make them popular – probably not simply because they are a fun-driving, pretty reliable, DIY, affordable sports car, that are similar to the one’s my heroes raced in.

That’s what made air-cooled 911’s attractive to me (and maybe also to you). But, I don’t think that’s what motivates the Luftgekuhlt crowd and it’s not likely to be the reason that someone in 2075 will take an interest in early Porsches.

What will? Will future generations see our hot-rodded, renovated, powder-coated, re-upholstered, Recaro-ed, Renn-sported, Pelicanised 911’s and say, ‘Why did this bunch of weirdos restore all these under-powered, fossil fuel eating transportation devices?’ Or what?

Robert

Last edited by piscator; 03-11-2019 at 09:03 AM..
Old 03-11-2019, 08:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
Mighty Meatlocker Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by piscator View Post
. . .

My interest is in what Porsche (and possibly other cars) represent culturally, to varying generations. On this forum, I often read something like, ‘Hey, it’s just a car. Drive it. Modify it. Cut it up. Make it what you what you want.’ That, I suspect, was the Porsche factory’s attitude and intention when they built the cars.

. . . .

Robert
There is no doubt about that; no way, no how did the designers want the cars left in their as delivered, full of many forced compromises states,
Old 03-11-2019, 09:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertmark View Post
I take my A Speedster to a Porsche show to benefit Alzheimer’s every year. They have kids groups that come around and grade our cars and ask us questions. They love sitting in the car and blowing the horn, along with touching the big steering wheel. I also have a lot of 20 something’s telling me they’re studying and working their butts off to have a car like mine one day. I think there’s plenty of hope for future generations.
It's wonderful that you do this. It's also a great example of what I'm driving at. The young kids and even the 20 somethings are seeing your car in a way that's very different from the way you perceived it when first acquired it.

Robert
Old 03-11-2019, 09:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

People love to talk about how cars are only important to one generation. That doesn't always apply to Porsches. I've now buying large collections of 356's from guys who I call the 2nd generation, who got into 356's in the 70s, they are all in their late 60s now, sometimes early 70s. But they weren't the original owners, just large groups of guys who liked Porsches, and they have kept changing hands since.
One thing I think you will see in the next few decades, lots of Porsche getting electric motors. Some will have the gas motor dropped out, some I think will be restored and forgoing the gas motor. I just sold a 912 to a guy in Chile, he is going all electric.

Don't believe me on the universal appeal of Porsche, start driving your car to the grocery store, and you'll see what I mean, people of all ages love it!

---Adam

356 Registry 17369
Early 911S Registry
912 Registry, PCA
Old 03-11-2019, 09:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by piscator View Post
It's wonderful that you do this. It's also a great example of what I'm driving at. The young kids and even the 20 somethings are seeing your car in a way that's very different from the way you perceived it when first acquired it.

Robert
My wife is always in shock when I allow the kids to climb into the car. As I am too fanatical. But the smiles and interest it brings to these kids is priceless. I don’t want to see the day a parent walks through a mueseum and shows their children the Spirit of Saint Louis, the Gemini space capsul, and a Porsche 356. That would be very sad!!
Old 03-11-2019, 09:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertmark View Post
My wife is always in shock when I allow the kids to climb into the car. As I am too fanatical. But the smiles and interest it brings to these kids is priceless. I don’t want to see the day a parent walks through a mueseum and shows their children the Spirit of Saint Louis, the Gemini space capsul, and a Porsche 356. That would be very sad!!
Kids love a ride in a 356!

---Adam

356 Registry 17369
Early 911S Registry
912 Registry, PCA
Old 03-11-2019, 09:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Those are just wonderful pix! Thanks guys!

Robert
Old 03-11-2019, 09:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
Functionista

Yes.

Among other olden things I want a 1938 Bugatti type 57 Atlantic and the 30s are not my generation. Can't wait till their bubble pops....
74 911, #3
I do not disbelieve in anything. I start from the premise that everything is true until proved false. Everything is possible.
Old 03-11-2019, 10:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Garage

Haven't seen these on the freeway !
Old 03-11-2019, 12:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: