Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Classified Ads > Porsche Marketplace Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Everyday driver

I have been reading the “will future generations...” thread. I must say that after 1 year of ownership of a 85 cabriolet, I am hooked and want to use the car as an everyday car once the snow melts in MN... being 50 though, this was my dream car when I was in high school.

I only drove the car 2000 miles last summer.

Anyway, listening to one person talk about valet parking, etc. I admit, I am scared to death to park my car in a public place, never mind have a kid valet park it.

My car is just a very nice daily driver, it needs to be driven as such. I am just curious about recommendations or watch out for this advice For someone considering driving more frequently.

Old 03-12-2019, 05:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Imo its just a car..do what's in your control to avoid the car getting damaged BUT.....you can't stop stupid people..
Old 03-12-2019, 05:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Get some snow tires. The most fun I have in my 911 is early in the morning on roads freshly covered with snow.
Old 03-12-2019, 05:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Amateur

Garage
What kind of driving ?

Spirited commuting in start and stop traffic ... I wouldn't recommend it.
Old 03-12-2019, 05:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
devalued member

Garage
if you are that worried as to where you will have to park after the morning commute you've pretty much answered your own question. a cab top unattended for too long in the wrong lot becomes ribbons, some day.

buy a WRX or a VW GTI with an alarm & insurance that covers you when you drive to work. if you don't already have an agreed value policy classic car insurance set up id look into it. if your car is out of bluebook value (30 years) the insurance company will go rawknees on ya when a claim comes about..

drive it on fridees when the CE types are golfing and you can have their spots out front...
(sold 12/15) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7I6HCCKrVQ
Old 03-12-2019, 06:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

They are strong cars and quite reliable. I drive my SC ' about every other day' trading it off with my truck. I also agree with pmax, I don't drive my 911 if I expect to find stop & go commuter traffic. I don't want to risk someone rear-ending me or my rear-ending someone else! Plus my nice, tall, GMC truck is far more comfortable in those conditions. If anywhere I'm going has valet parking that likely means I'll have to be in traffic to get there. No thank-you. The valet can park the truck!

Drive your car as much as you can under road conditions you enjoy driving.

Robert

Last edited by piscator; 03-12-2019 at 06:19 PM..
Old 03-12-2019, 06:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

gearhead

I’ve commuted in them, the oldest being a 67 912. I used to have a 20 minute country road drive. Took 5 minutes more than the state hwy all the IBM employees drove. I wouldn’t go drive with them. There’s no fun in that.

What kind nd of valet? Everyday at your office? Country club in weekend? Dinner out? I worked valet in skyscraper garages. Monthly customers are treated right. They know if they **** it you will be back.
2008 Cayman S Mule
Old 03-12-2019, 06:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Former Options Trader !!!

Its a car, drive it. If it was a 959 or some other exotic 911 yea maybe you don't leave it at the mall or movie theater.
Old 03-12-2019, 06:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Thanks for all the advice. Last year, I would occasionally drive to work and put a car cover on so I could leave the top down and not worry about rain...

After putting some significant money into the car this winter, I just want to drive the car more. Yes, there will not be any stop and go driving. I was just curious about the guy with a 930 valet parking at a restaurant and realized that I might be too careful since someone with a car double the value of mine (or more) is treating his vehicle like a car...
Old 03-12-2019, 07:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

I live in a small town in B.C. (20,000 people) and if it's not super rainy or the roads aren't salty I'm using my 1967 912 as daily as I can. Through the winter if the roads are salty I leave it in the garage. For me it would be dumb to drive an old thing like that on salt.
If I have to go see my friends and family 3 hours away, my wife and I jump in and go.
Next month she is flying to San Diego for a dog show so I am going to drive down through the beautiful Oregon and California coast and then we'll drive back together.
I might just go into Tijuana so I can say that I did a roady from Canada to Mexico in an old jalopy. Yes, I admit that it drives like an old jalopy compared to me Honda Element but I probably would have had her fly back if I had to do the trip in the Honda.
Old 03-12-2019, 07:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Turbo Powered Snow Blower

Garage
Hi David,

That was me that got you thinking.
My advise is to get over it, insure it properly and enjoy the car.
I too was a little nervous when I first got the car and had a realization one day. I love driving the car places. That’s why I got it. So I forced myself to just stop worrying. I drove the car to dinner. The valet parking seems safer. Even though they can’t drive a stick half the time. But they aren’t going to hurt the car.
I have even driven it to the movies several times. Driven several out of town trips. Left it in a Motel6 parking lot. After several trips I eventually stopped worrying about it.
Now I can truly enjoy owning a 930.

I try to find a day once a week to take it to work. Last week an unexpected thunderstorm gave her a bath for me.
I got a cool picture though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-12-2019, 10:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Mighty Meatlocker Turbo

^^^

Deez even drives his pimpmobile to the local rub-n-tug parlors, and parks out front!
Old 03-12-2019, 11:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Thanks the advice I needed.
Old 03-13-2019, 12:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Troll Hunter

Garage
I never let valets drive my classics. I parked cars as a job one summer.

As for DD, just insure it properly, get a Lojack and go for it.
Old 03-13-2019, 05:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

And you come to realize that having one of these cars is a lot like the fact that as human beings we often think that people are actually paying attention to US and WE are always the center of attention.

People don't even look at you if you're not Brad Pitt, and don't pay any attention to you. Even if you had a third eye, no one cares. Same as an old 911 - people in general do not care. As owners we care a lot - but people who see them don't really care. A thief may care, but probably not.

I had my car in the driveway for six months. No one cared. No one even mentioned it. I wasn't worried - and it did not look that bad. I mean it's a red (was silver) 911 - and no one cared.

I believe we become victims of our own devices.
Old 03-13-2019, 07:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Turbo Powered Snow Blower

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawknees'Turbo View Post
^^^

Deez even drives his pimpmobile to the local rub-n-tug parlors, and parks out front!
Just the one time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidMn View Post
Thanks the advice I needed.
Good. You will enjoy the car so much more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalParadise View Post
And you come to realize that having one of these cars is a lot like the fact that as human beings we often think that people are actually paying attention to US and WE are always the center of attention.

People don't even look at you if you're not Brad Pitt, and don't pay any attention to you. Even if you had a third eye, no one cares. Same as an old 911 - people in general do not care. As owners we care a lot - but people who see them don't really care. A thief may care, but probably not.

I had my car in the driveway for six months. No one cared. No one even mentioned it. I wasn't worried - and it did not look that bad. I mean it's a red (was silver) 911 - and no one cared.

I believe we become victims of our own devices.
Sal, I agree 100%.

I'll add that I'm pretty sure they do see me as a Jack Azz 50% of the time. You try and drive a 930 that will roast the tires during a slow roll into boost and not rip away from a light with dual (un-muffled) waste gates blaring at least once a day.
It's just not possible! And it puts a smile on my face even more than the rub-n-tug parlor does.

Last edited by 1979-930; 03-13-2019 at 07:30 AM..
Old 03-13-2019, 07:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

SalParadise. I guess it depends where you live if people notice and like your car. I was in Costa Mesa a while ago and it seemed like every second car was an "exotic" so maybe the Cali people aren't as interested since they are inundated with wealth.

I didn't buy my car to be looked at but because I like it. I had a 1956 356A when I was 20. But I live in a small town in BC and everywhere I go up and down Vancouver Island and into Victoria I get the "thumbs up" and comments of appreciation of the 912. I am surprised how many people are happy to look and ask about the car.

But I think the bottom line is that we buy and drive these antiquated but super cool looking cars because we like them ourselves. I love walking out of a store and seeing my 912 sitting in the parking lot but I actually don't care who else does. I'm sure that most of the people on this forum feel the same way including you SalParadise.
Old 03-13-2019, 11:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dschuetze View Post
But I think the bottom line is that we buy and drive these antiquated but super cool looking cars because we like them ourselves. I love walking out of a store and seeing my 912 sitting in the parking lot but I actually don't care who else does. I'm sure that most of the people on this forum feel the same way including you SalParadise.
This last paragraph baffles me because I believe it's just a paraphrase of what I said in my explanation. I don't care who looks at me because no one is looking. I care what I drive, but most average people do not care what I drive - and to this end - I do not care. I'm glad you like your 912 because you should because you own it.

The question that started this thread was worry and being noticed - to that I say who cares. I said nothing about me noticing and enjoying what I own and parking it anywhere - because I do park it anywhere and I do enjoy it (when it's running). Of course I feel that way about my old 911. Why would I risk working on it and a flawed 2.7 engine in a bitter cold garage if I didn't? It wasn't about noticing what you own. Because of course you notice it.

And no I'm not in California anymore. I used to be. For a decade. I currently live in a much more wholesome, non-invasive, less -rowded area with probably the same amount of wealth as SoCal - but people don't care. I think that's great, and it doesn't bother me in the least bit. But if I had a 'Vette in my driveway it would be a different story.
Old 03-13-2019, 01:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

i very rarely see air cooled 911 out and about anymore -
shame really
Old 03-13-2019, 02:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Sorry, I was meaning to agree with the idea that most of us own and drive our cars simply because we like them. I'm like most of you in that way, I like my car and that's good enough. The only distinction I was making is that up where I live people seem to look and comment a lot about my car. It gives me hope that some people still have an eye for beauty..

I sure know what you mean about wrenching is a cold shop. Since I bought my 912 I put some insulation and drywall (untaped)and a small heater in the shop to help preserve the car and let me be able to do things on it. Today I finally fixed the windshield washer pump. Yea

Old 03-13-2019, 06:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: